cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Re: Electric Cars

I am thinking to buy a Plug in Hybrid for now.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I agree and all these reasons are why we went electric.  You didn't mention the fun the car provides.  We had never driven a car worth over $2000 for 55 years.  We did all the maintenance ourselves so we had pretty cheap transportation and we knew that financially, buying an electric car made no sense, especially since we don't have many driving years left.  Think of the money we saved on depreciation and collision insurance.  We wanted to experience the amazing emerging technology of an electric vehicle.  A hybrid wouldn't do, too  complicated and all the headaches of an ICE.  And you're right, it's satisfying to be able to use free fuel, even if it will probably only be temporary.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ecowen wrote:

You didn't mention the fun the car provides. 

I did mention get up and go 🙂

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@ecowen 

But when you have to eventually pay for "fuel" how much really are you going to have to pay? From what i have read an electric vehicle's fuel cost is about 1/8th of the fuel cost of a conventional gasoline fueled vehicle. The average cost per/1000 km is $84 for conventional thus $10.50/1000km for the average electric vehicle. While not free that's pretty darn cheap however it is 10x the cost of charging my ebike to cover the same distance. Which upon further inspection i have discovered has a 48v battery and has a range of 80 to 135 km on a single charge. Seeing as i ride at least 50% of the time without any assistance and the ability to add a secondary battery that increases the range up to 300 km!  I better go dig under the seat cushions on the couch for enough coin for my next road trip!

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

But you're not going to be in a cozy cabin driving through slush or pounding rain on an ebike. Or optionally, cozy butt and hands with heated seats and wheel.

I used to do some four wheeling. I had a closed cabin Jeep. Many others have the "convertible" Jeep. If I was out with a group, the dust was horrendous. Add the heat. There they are all hot and sweaty and covered in dust. I'm nice and comfy in my air conditioned cabin not covered in dust.

I don't quite know how I ended up mentioning that but it's the lounge. 🙂

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 

I think somewhere on your journey you got from A to C without going to B but you got there so that's where we are now? As they say you can't miss something you haven't done but I do look at my beloved "rockhopper" now and I don't know if I can go back!!?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Electric-Cars/td-p/499408/highlight/true/p...

Highlighted
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If I had access to free and cheap electricity , I would probably own own now too. But I don't in Alberta it doesn't matter if you use electricity or not. They nail on the admin and user flat rate fees. Even the City Of Calgary get a municipal franchise fee on electricity.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Bullet77 wrote:

If I had access to free and cheap electricity , I would probably own own now too. But I don't in Alberta it doesn't matter if you use electricity or not. They nail on the admin and user flat rate fees. Even the City Of Calgary get a municipal franchise fee on electricity.

@Bullet77 

Just so we're clear...if I plugged in at home I would be paying through my utility bill as normal consumption. We certainly don't have free electricity in BC if that's what you were assuming. The free part is out and about using publicly available chargers. Some charge. Some don't.

Highlighted
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

If you go on line check electric car vs gas cars, there are a lot of negative about evs. I feel maybe the big oil company try their most to stop people considering evs. In these articles they ignores lots of benefits of evs, only talk about how expensive to replace your batteries. Come on! in 10 years who knows how much battery price  going to go down. Look back 10 years we can have a idea about price difference of Toyota hybrid batteries. I will certainly buy a ev or phev for my next vehicle. I am tired of the oil company's playing monkeys with the gas price every day( in bc at least). 

Need Help? Let's chat.