cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bashley
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

De-Googled Phone & Public Mobility

Wondering if anyone has had the experience of de-googling their Android phone.  Not thrilled about Google selling me in the ad market and knowing every move I make. I've decided to migrate away from using all Google services. This is quite a project because I've been using Google since its inception with umpteen tons of data, docs in the Google domain.

As I understand it, in the hands of skilled technician, an Android phone like mine (Samsung S9) can strip out Google's guts. The other options?  Linux? A flip phone with texting capability? 

A low intensity, infrequent user of mobility services, I'm not panicking, just looking ahead to a phone move that will get Google out of my life. Not to offend anyone, I think the services are great, but for me, the costs and potential risks to my privacy (and security) have come to be too high for me. 

Thanks!

bob

Tags (3)
z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: De-Googled Phone & Public Mobility

@bashley 

That's a gigantic question.

As for Public Mobile...all they need is compatible cell frequencies and unlocked.

Many keeners "root" their phones and take more control of it. Android IS Google though.

As for the rest of it, I'm not sure it's relevant to here but if it's phones I suppose technically it can be in this category.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@bashley Almost every phone comes with googles services endless you put a custom ROM on your phone. If you cant put trust into google then how are you putting trust into anything else. Heck how are you even putting trust into using Public Mobile. Google is one of the most Secure services in the world. Almost everyone has a google account. Even if your phone has nothing to do with google they still know everything about you and probaly even your precise location as they work with cell carriers. You simply cant get away from google. But i think you can opt out on google sharing your data to a certain level. It should be somewhere in your account settings.

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

This is a software issue not related to PM.  If you alter your OS it could void your warranty.

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@bashley this is a difficult process for sure one that I have been trying for a long time as well. 

One of the first things I changed is what I use to search the web and access andy web pages.

Google owns so much of what we touch, there are so many Reddit articles that you can go to for this topic. 

So I have two things that you can De-google. One-Stop using Chrome and move over to Brave Browser - an add blocking browser that gives you the capability of getting paid to "allow" advertisements. Now you get paid in BAT tokens but if you have a crypto exchange account this will not be a problem for you.

Second - The search engine that you use - Use DUCK DUCK GO, this is a service that doesn't keep track of all your moves.

If you really want to de-google though you'll need to stop watching anything on youtube

or watch it through Brave. 😉

This thread should probably be in the lounge @Luddite but whatevs. LOL

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@bashley forgot to add if you're like me and bought the Huawei P30 the week before google banned any more upgrades then maybe in the future Huawei will have their own OS. 

benfatto
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bashley  If you want to de-Google your phone then your should first de-Samsung it.

If that's your intention then best to buy a phone that runs stock Android. Something like a Umidigi F2 and Google 😁 how to de-bloat it. There's a pretty detail website that shows you how to do this.

https://www.olorin.me/2020/02/11/debloating-the-umidigi-f2/

Naepalm
Mayor / Maire

@BearFBI brother you are not wrong, the only way to get away is to live off the grid no cell no internet. In a Earth ship: seriously look these houses up they are incredible! ?LOL

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Naepalm wrote:

@BearFBI brother you are not wrong, the only way to get away is to live off the grid no cell no internet. In a Earth ship: seriously look these houses up they are incredible! ?LOL

@Naepalm Lol not even. The google earth satellites can still see you. Ill book a ticket to mars instead. You literally got to be off the planet to get away from google.  At this point you just got to accept it. Google is Google. Everyone has it. And it is pretty trustworthy. They may know every move you make but what company like that dosent. Your not at much risk.

Need Help? Let's chat.