cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Choices choices

So I'm torn between a couple phones.

1. Samsung S10+ with Samsung Pay that automatically flips in/out of NFC to make the payment. That and an SD card slot and headphone jack. But a lot of money.

2. Motorola One Hyper being pure Android without the bloatware and that neato pop-up front camera not taking screen real estate. Same with the SD card slot and headphone jack. Unfortunately Google Pay doesn't do that nifty auto-NFC. But a lot less money.

What to do what to do.

Anybody with real world experience yet with the new Hyper? Anybody with a way to turn on NFC automatically without giving up all kinds of private information permissions (don't want to get into rooting either) to run macros?

Highlighted
Oracle

Re: Choices choices

I heard some newer Samsung phones have advertisements enbedded. Not sure which phones, but it might be worth looking into.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

Certainly don't like ads. I wonder if their upper flagship phones don't?

So I'm dabbling with Tasker. I'm going to try to figure out if it can turn on NFC when Google Pay is launched. And then off on exit. Bit of a learning curve. But I'm up for it. It would seem to me after some fiddling and watching some videos that it's probably doable.

The specs of that Hyper certainly pale in comparison to the S10+ so I wonder about other high performing pure Android phones too.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

I don't have experience with either of those devices.

But folding, flipping, sliding, popping, moving, springing parts tend to have high failure rates over time. Repeated use gradually fatigues the teeny tiny signal traces in the connecting data ribbons.

The questions are whether the manufacturer used a flimsy (cheap) approach or a more robust (costly) connection method, whether the ultimate failure of this moving part will occur before or after some other hardware failure makes the device frustrating the use, and how much replacement parts (or related labour) will cost when needed.

Other Motorola devices are generally known for good build quality. But this thing is slim and tiny, it has no mechanical bulk, and it's packed into a very tech-dense machine. I haven't seen any takeaparts. It could go either way.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

I guess you're referring to the pop-up camera...I agree. But I don't do selfies. So to not have it if and when it breaks it won't be missed. And it likely won't get broken due to over-use. As it is I have a little vinyl sticker that covers the front camera. But on my S7 it's not on the display area. Just the outer black area. The Hyper then gives the whole front to the display.

Highlighted
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Android Police had the article about Samsung ads. It wasn't limited to the cheap devices which was rubbing people the wrong way

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Karnbot13 wrote:

Android Police had the article about Samsung ads. It wasn't limited to the cheap devices which was rubbing people the wrong way

Oh I see yes...I have them along the top of Samsung Pay. I had imagined it more as self-promotion than paid ads like say kellogs or something. But I can't say as I've kept track. I suppose something subliminal happens but I don't really "see" the ads.

I had a look and they seem to be Samsung related or cross-promotions with Samsung. Not just a stand-alone ad.

But then hey...Google is all about monetization of our every digital movement.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@z10user4 wrote:

As it is I have a little vinyl sticker that covers the front camera.

You actually bought a set of pretty little vinyl stickers?

I sometimes use a much cheaper approach. Alas, it tends to peel off after a while. And leave a sticky residue.

But - if it's a phone I intend to use until it dies - I fix the self-cam (along with a few other things like the mic, radio antennae, battery, SIM slots, whatever) with this approach instead.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

@Korth wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

As it is I have a little vinyl sticker that covers the front camera.

You actually bought a set of pretty little vinyl stickers?

I sometimes use a much cheaper approach. Alas, it tends to peel off after a while. And leave a sticky residue.

But - if it's a phone I intend to use until it dies - I fix the self-cam (along with a few other things like the mic, radio antennae, battery, SIM slots, whatever) with this approach instead.

Pretty? Just black. They also offer "pretty" coloured ones. Admittedly there can be some residue as well but not nearly as much as electrical tape.

That switch...do you glue it on top of the lens? 🙂

I've also stumbled across the Zenfone 6 with a swing-up camera. Nifty. Apparently a fairly clean Android. Some rumours suggest the Motorola Hyper isn't really Android One.

Highlighted
Mayor / Maire

lol, the switch bank gets dremelled into the side of the case, somewhere, wired and soldered into severed component traces. Software can't be really trusted to behave, it does whatever the programmers want instead of what you want, but hardware can't ever do anything you don't want it to do when it has no power and no circuit path.

Need Help? Let's chat.