cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chatr Wireless throttling match?

codyb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Any future plans/speculation that PM will be matching Chatr Wireless perk of unlimited data @64 kbs after your plan allotment in certain plans? Thinking about trying them out. I tried webbrowsing on devolpertools in google chrome to 64kbs and seems to work perfectly even if just a little slower. Heck, even netflix worked, but looked like 144p lol. 

23 REPLIES 23

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

I counsel against this idea. I participate in another carrier's forum that offers 324 kbps as the backup speed once high speed allotment has been used. Complaints abound! Robot Sad

Anyone at PM who runs short of data is permitted to renew early - a much better option.

@Luddite  hear hear!  OR: purchase non-expiring add-on data to use as needed.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@codyb wrote:

Any future plans/speculation that PM will be matching Chatr Wireless perk of unlimited data @64 kbs after your plan allotment in certain plans? Thinking about trying them out. I tried webbrowsing on devolpertools in google chrome to 64kbs and seems to work perfectly even if just a little slower. Heck, even netflix worked, but looked like 144p lol. 

I counsel against this idea. I participate in another carrier's forum that offers 324 kbps as the backup speed once high speed allotment has been used. Complaints abound! Robot Sad

Anyone at PM who runs short of data is permitted to renew early - a much better option.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disregarding the 1024 in a computer "k" and using k as a thousands indicator it's all very simple. Everything is from bits per second (bps).

Old timey modem = 57600 bps or 57.6kbps

Apparently this Chatr thing = 64000 bps or 64kbps

The throttled 4G speed here = 3000000 bps or 3000kbps or 3 mbps

etc.

@codyb wrote:

I also see they say its throttled to 2g speed which would be: 

2G = 0.1 Mbit - 0.3 Mbit per second

Maybe will buy a sim and their small $35 package and just burn it out to see what speeds it goes to considering the conflicting information. Will post back once i know. 

These Throttles aren't based on network types.  The "2g" expression may have just been used for simplicity reasons.

The details of the Chatr's data management policy state the speeds is reduced from 3Mbps to 64Kbps, which is nowhere even close to 0.3Mbps.  From the Chatr website:  " If your data usage in a month exceeds your 3G speed data allotment, you can continue to use data with no overage charge, but managed data speeds will be reduced from up to 3 Mbps to up to 64 kilobits per second".

srlawren

@codyb Rogers does operate a 2G GSM network still, so it's conceivable they'd kick you down to EDGE or GPRS over 2G.  It's also possible they throttle their 3G HSPA+ for the customer down to "2G-like" speeds after your full-speed amount is used up, similar to how PM artificially throttles LTE down to "HSPA-like" spees for the "3G" data plans.

EDIT reminds me, back in Dec 2017 when the 1st and 2nd tier brands all had the $60/10GB plan on for a short time, I activated a Fido line on that plan to try it out (FOMO got the better of me).  I have a dual-SIM phone (OnePlus 5T), so I would flip my data back and forth in various places I frequented just to see how it all compared.  I was floored to see my phone drop down to "E" (EDGE data over GSM) a few times in the large shopping mall near where I live. This was a big part of the nail in the coffin for me ultimately canceling the line and staying on PM (though later moving to Koodo via migration offer the next spring, LOL).  The other part is even in places when both networks would latch on to LTE or HSPA+, PM on Telus would regularly speed test higher than Fido on Rogers network; plus, ultimately, I didn't really need that much data and decided to keep paying less for less.  🙂

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

codyb

I also see they say its throttled to 2g speed which would be: 

2G = 0.1 Mbit - 0.3 Mbit per second

Maybe will buy a sim and their small $35 package and just burn it out to see what speeds it goes to considering the conflicting information. Will post back once i know. 

@srlawren wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@codyb wrote:

I believe most of you are thinking Kbps. I will post it in the regular format that most will be familier with . 0.3 Mbit. Which for me, is great if unlimited. 

I'd take 0.3Mbps as a throttled speed. But, the 64Kbps is actually 0.0625Mbps, and I'm not sure you'd want to be using the internet with speeds like that, at least not with these graphic-instensive websites.

@codyb you used a liltle "b" in your original post, which means bit.  Are you now saying you're talking about 64 KBps, or 64 Kilobytes per second?  If so, then that's actually equivalent to 0.512 Mbps (megabits per second), at least according to Google.  If the throttling at Chatr is 64 kilobytes per second rather than kilobits, then that's not so bad.  Still a bit painful mind you, at about 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed data plans.

The throttle at Chatr is is in fact 64 kilobits per second.  I do not know of any wireless carrier or ISP who advertises speeds in bytes (kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes) per second - well at least not deliberately or correctly.  I do see some provider incorrectly having a capital B on the website but that's almost always a mistake.

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

@codyb wrote:

I believe most of you are thinking Kbps. I will post it in the regular format that most will be familier with . 0.3 Mbit. Which for me, is great if unlimited. 

I'd take 0.3Mbps as a throttled speed. But, the 64Kbps is actually 0.0625Mbps, and I'm not sure you'd want to be using the internet with speeds like that, at least not with these graphic-instensive websites.

@codyb you used a liltle "b" in your original post, which means bit.  Are you now saying you're talking about 64 KBps, or 64 Kilobytes per second?  If so, then that's actually equivalent to 0.512 Mbps (megabits per second), at least according to Google.  If the throttling at Chatr is 64 kilobytes per second rather than kilobits, then that's not so bad.  Still a bit painful mind you, at about 1/6th the speed of PM's throttled "3G" speed data plans.

Bell now claims to be running Fiber in my CIty, the 'telephone' city...

They said back in 2007, it would be in town in 2014.  It's still not here.

@codyb wrote:

for basic internet service (aside from videos) and even music streaming, 64 kbs seems fine for me. 

I live in the big city and so I am spoiled by big bandwidth.  I signed up for high speed cable internet the day it was available in my area.  I was probably Shaw's first install on the neighborhood.  During that promo they even threw in a free 3com ISA NIC and with installation.  Those thing retailed for about $150 at the time. 

@srlawren wrote:

@will13am wrote:

download_20140314_093700.jpg

@will13am amen, brother!

I have used this one a few times here and there.  It never goes out of style. 

@codyb wrote:

codyb

Anonymous
Not applicable

@codyb wrote:

i don't know why you guys are comparing it to dailup, its not the same measurement... 4 megs a min throughput is usaable for almost any single website i have tried. Even netflix if you are on a low res screen. 

Because you said 64kbs. The best the old dial-up could get back in the day was 57.6kbps.

These internet transmission speeds are always mentioned in bits per second..or kilo...or mega...heck giga.

Jeez I hate it when these threads get yanked out from under you as you're typing.

Sure...simple text websites were fine until they got all loaded down with crap that made dial-up unusable.

codyb

i don't know why you guys are comparing it to dailup, its not the same measurement... 4 megs a min throughput is usaable for almost any single website i have tried. Even netflix if you are on a low res screen. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@codyb wrote:

for basic internet service (aside from videos) and even music streaming, 64 kbs seems fine for me. 

Really eh? Wow. I remember the old dial-up days and the transition to a more full-time connection where web sites got more and more cluttered with ads and javascript and Flash and all the other things we take for granted now. It got pretty intolerable.

codyb

no, you are thinking of different measurement. Or I could have said it wrong. You get about 1 meg of data every 15 secs (4 megs per min) 

codyb

srlawren

@will13am wrote:

@will13am amen, brother!

@srlawren wrote:

@codyb honestly, 64kbps?!?!? ! There are dial-up modems faster than that.  I'll gladly pay for data that's at a usable speed rather than an unlimited bucket of something that would drive me up the wall.  Yikes.

srlawren

@codyb honestly, 64kbps?!?!? ! There are dial-up modems faster than that.  I'll gladly pay for data that's at a usable speed rather than an unlimited bucket of something that would drive me up the wall.  Yikes.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

I doubt you'll see that here.  Unlimited data has never been offered on this network, and if you are using your cellular data that much, perhaps you should be looking to use it more efficiently, and possibly using more available WiFi options.

The largest current bucket of data here is 8.5 GB/30-days, after signing up with AutoPay.  I have 12GB/90-days and rarely go over 3 GB/90-day.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@codybmy sense is they won't be doing that.  The two brands have been matching each others offers for some time now and never once has unlimited throttled data been included in any plan.  You need to be wary of one important factor and that is this service runs on both LTE and 3G networks.  Chatr is exclusively 3G.  This makes a huge difference because most carriers have been focused heavily on the LTE infrastructure in the past several years.  This gives the Public Mobile service an advantage over Chatr on network performance.  Every customer profile is different.  If unlimited data is what you want/need then Chatr may be the right solution. 

Need Help? Let's chat.