cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling our Community members to help us come up with new avatars!

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

Over the coming weeks, we’re looking to refresh the avatars on the Community. While we're  big fans of butterflies, mountains, and soccer balls, we wanted to include more options- ones that can reflect the diversity and personalities of our customers. That's why we're reaching out to you here, so that we can get your contribution in our next set of avatars.

If you'd like to get involved and help shape our new avatars, it's very simple! All you need to do is attach a photo of yourself by May 30th. We encourage fun selfies with things that showcase your unique hobbies and personalities!

How do I participate?

1. Hit 'Reply' to this post OR send a private message to Alan_K.
  2. Find the Photos button in the text editor box
  3. 'Choose file' to select the photo you want, and hit done!

Note: These photos won’t be shared publicly and will only be used internally as we create new avatars that demonstrate the uniqueness and diversity of our beloved Community.

Thanks,

Alan

13 REPLIES 13

TheGx
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Korth wrote:

Custom avatars are standard fare on almost every internet forum, social media site, streaming site, or email site. Basically anywhere you get any kind of login and online profile.  

The usual approach is to submit your image for some sort of admin to approve or deny.

Internet users tend to avoid restrictive sites then search for unrestrictive sites. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize the overwhelming majority of members in this community only came here to inquire about, complain about, or fix a problem with their phone service. And most of those who keep coming back are basically aiming at Rewards being discounted off their next phone bill. It's not really a proper "community" because - aside from the few who are genuinely interested in phone stuff and/or helping others - there's really nothing much to talk about and really no compelling reason to be here.

Sorry for being blunt, and I hate being That Guy. But speaking plainly, this site is simply a decorated support forum for a business. If you want to make it a real Community - an internet destination - then you've got to offer better business or better content to keep drawing the public's attention.

If you don't then no amount of time invested in avatars, badges, and toys will ever accomplish anything. 

Totally agree. Public should make this site and forum more fun for people to spend their time on, like all those other social media forums do, and the easiest thing to improve is simply letting people upload their own avatars - there just is not any other way to allow people to express their own individuality properly except for letting them upload their own, because if not they'll always be people with the exact same avatars.

Custom avatars are standard fare on almost every internet forum, social media site, streaming site, or email site. Basically anywhere you get any kind of login and online profile.  

The usual approach is to submit your image for some sort of admin to approve or deny.

Internet users tend to avoid restrictive sites then search for unrestrictive sites. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to realize the overwhelming majority of members in this community only came here to inquire about, complain about, or fix a problem with their phone service. And most of those who keep coming back are basically aiming at Rewards being discounted off their next phone bill. It's not really a proper "community" because - aside from the few who are genuinely interested in phone stuff and/or helping others - there's really nothing much to talk about and really no compelling reason to be here.

Sorry for being blunt, and I hate being That Guy. But speaking plainly, this site is simply a decorated support forum for a business. If you want to make it a real Community - an internet destination - then you've got to offer better business or better content to keep drawing the public's attention.

If you don't then no amount of time invested in avatars, badges, and toys will ever accomplish anything. 

@wetcoaster wrote:

On a more serious note I agree with all the above comments that solving the real, system problems should have highest priority.

I have to agree that there are more important things to get fixed here than to add some new Avatars.  This reminds me of a saying I heard at work by our Colonel when talking about a project that was being done, "It is like putting lipstick on a pig, it looks nicer but it is still a pig"

Hoping to have more focus on no more dropped calls or texting issues.  Seamless renewals with no issues.  Fixing the no texts after the 10 Day US Roaming expires.....and more.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

On a more serious note I agree with all the above comments that solving the real, system problems should have highest priority.

@mimmo wrote:

@stonechucker  I agree but it is probably easier to dress up the lithium interface (which PM does not develop) than it is to fix the PM portal issues, including a mobile friendly design.  i'm sure the new avatars will be featured in the next get help videos. join the community and get a a great custom avatar.  

And I am sure they have plenty of resources to police the avatars, judging by the fact that threads here in lounge are being censored / deleted (wink to whoever felt offended by my farewell wishes to some long term forum members...)

I'm not too concerned about avatars but do wonder if resources could be better spent elsewhere.  At the end of the day, a new icon beside someone's name doesn't make the help someone provides a member any better or worse, nor does it address some of the more important issues.  I also wonder about the timing of all this, especially when we're coming off such a rough patch when it comes to system issues.

What I will say about the avatars is that if Public Mobile want to do something, just make the custom avatar ability available to all members.  I can't imagine that taking more than a few minutes to implement (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that).  I know there could be the concern about obscene avatars, but I don't see that as any different than people being able to post pictures, something that members are already allowed to do.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Y'know window dressing is just about it. If the prime directive was fulfilled: calls in/out, texts in/out, internet and paying for it - then everything else is window dressing. ie. really. just. doesn't. matter.

Those things should be solid. Nothing else matters and are just for fun and "community". Fine. Nice. But doesn't matter.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@stonechucker  I agree but it is probably easier to dress up the lithium interface (which PM does not develop) than it is to fix the PM portal issues, including a mobile friendly design.  i'm sure the new avatars will be featured in the next get help videos. join the community and get a a great custom avatar.  

How about less niceties, and fixing the problems that continue to plague the service.  I’m just a customer, but this is ridiculous that after being here since the summer of 2016, there are still so many unresolved issues.

@mimmo wrote:

@Luddite  your looking a little tired. 🙂 

Needed a nap & some Geritol. Awake now & just remembered Ralph would a great avatatar:

RalphRalph

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite  your looking a little tired. 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

How about being able to make your own and if it violates decorum or someone complains about it then it needs to get changed.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

titan-atlas1.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.