cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

CRTC puts measures in place to spur more mobile wireless competition for Canadians

Hello,

Some good news for consumers.

The CRTC today announced that certain telecommunications providers will be able to access the wireless networks of Canada’s dominant providers to offer Canadians more choice and affordable options.

The news release can be found here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2021/04/crtc-puts-measures-in-plac...

Low-cost and occasional-use plans:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

Backgrounder: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2021/04/decision-on-mobile-wireles...

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Re: CRTC puts measures in place to spur more mobile wireless competition for Canadians

specifically, what other telecommunication providers it meant?

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

Re: CRTC puts measures in place to spur more mobile wireless competition for Canadians

@hTideGnow : From what I can interpret, the big 3 (4) are being compelled to offer cheaper plans. They're also being compelled to allow virtual operators to access their networks. There's a lot of talk about dotmobile in the lounge. There are others. User BearFBI seems to be on top of these things.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

oh yes, I think I read something about DotMobile giving away free SIM.  Let's hope it can give some pressure to PM.  The other day, someone did point out the fact here that PM has started making increasing data for  plans >$35.  Let's hope PM might also do something good to $25 or $15 plans

But if history means anything, these startup providers might be part of Rogers/Bell/Telus eventually 😥

popping
Oracle

The CRTC low cost plans is similar to some of the PM plans.  Telus/PM may have preview from CRTC on what is coming down the pipe... and offers the new $35 unlimited CW minutes/SMS/MMS + 3GB data before the new CRTC rule released yesterday.

If the big-3 providers offer the $35 plan with 3GB at full LTE speed, PM may offer plans at high speed cap than current 3Mbps cap.  Just thinking out loud!!

z10user4
Mayor / Maire

And they've sorta been saying that all along. Well look...we have low cost offerings. What's your problem? They also complied with that Liberal thing that they recently dropped.

But whatever...it'll be interesting to see what comes of real, true MVNO's that don't belong to the big 3. I would have every cynical expectation that they would just get swallowed up by them anyway. As they do with all the newcomers...even Wind/Freedom.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@LovesToPM     Hmm....most of those requirements from the CRTC for low cost or occasional use plans are already being offered by PM and even Telus Prepaid, so not sure if these new mandates will make much of difference unless a new MVNO like Dotmobile, that @BearFBI has high hopes for, can offer some better options for low cost plans for Canadians which might make the big 3 take notice.   Perhaps, but I don't see the big 3 doing much more with those requirements right now. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

So much expectation and no, no true MVNO is allowed in Canada, we're so well protected from them

XionBunny
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I can't say I'm surprised by the big nothing burger decision by the CTRC, they need to be overhauled and the incumbent's influence over them removed.

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Woah. Almost missed this. 

There's lots of information on the dotmobile reddit. It sounds like only regional providers are forced to offer wholesale rates and allow NVMO's ?

That's still not bad but not good. Good for me because I have a regional eastlink carrier. 

I'm not exactly sure what happened. Dotmobile says it's more complicated now. 

These rules could've saved sugar mobile.

The rules are WAY better than before. At least dotmobile can actually launch on all the regional carriers. I read something about them needing a network of towers to allow access to the big 3. 

This will allow MORE competition in Canada and its actually good, Just not what everyone was expecting.

Baby steps.

Need Help? Let's chat.