cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRTC puts measures in place to spur more mobile wireless competition for Canadians

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

Hello,

Some good news for consumers.

The CRTC today announced that certain telecommunications providers will be able to access the wireless networks of Canada’s dominant providers to offer Canadians more choice and affordable options.

The news release can be found here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2021/04/crtc-puts-measures-in-plac...

Low-cost and occasional-use plans:
https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/occa.htm

Backgrounder: https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-television-telecommunications/news/2021/04/decision-on-mobile-wireles...

18 REPLIES 18

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Dotmobile still has a network agreement with Iristel. I'm guessing they could still launch but only serve that area of coverage ? 

Kinda lame. Even lamer because the people that found the company don't even work or live there.

@hTideGnow wrote:

specifically, what other telecommunication providers it meant?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Codes_in_ITU_region_3xx_(North_America)#Canada_%E2%80%9...

Dotmobile, ABC, and TNW are the only CRTC-allocated MNCs on that list which have had any active regulatory applications (in the public records) since 2019. And I doubt that ABC or TNW intend to suddenly deploy any presence outside their little local (BC and AB) areas.

Actually, what CRTC did was not good enough

The MVNO ONLY applies to Carriers that have established their networks in some capacity

It's NOT like in the US, where MVNO can piggyback without having their own network infrastructure

Also, that would limit what Carriers are allowed in

Mint Mobile, example, would NOT be allowed in

Just saying, CRTC needs to be really firm and committed to the task at hand

BearFBI

@CFPartDeux True. I did a bit more reading. There done for.

They can still launch though. Dotmobile said they can negotiate with regional carriers. 

@Luddite 

"Sorry, but I see this having absolutely no impact on plans and prices."

It won't. Dotmobile won't be cheaper. Only thing I'm happy for is my founding member plan. If they still even decide to continue with it.

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

Woah. Almost missed this. 

There's lots of information on the dotmobile reddit. It sounds like only regional providers are forced to offer wholesale rates and allow NVMO's ?

That's still not bad but not good. Good for me because I have a regional eastlink carrier. 

I'm not exactly sure what happened. Dotmobile says it's more complicated now. 

These rules could've saved sugar mobile.

The rules are WAY better than before. At least dotmobile can actually launch on all the regional carriers. I read something about them needing a network of towers to allow access to the big 3. 

This will allow MORE competition in Canada and its actually good, Just not what everyone was expecting.

And don't you think that your last 2 sentences might be the kind of scenario to make Dot say "EFF IT", and throw in the towel? 🤔

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

"Furthermore, these regional providers will have the flexibility to resell their wholesale access to mobile virtual network operators, which will enable further competition in the marketplace."

Looks like MVNO's are allowed in Canada. Dot isn't dead here, They just cant compete with the big carriers. 

These rules would benefit Shaw a lot. Too bad there getting bought by Robbers.

I disagree. MVNOs are not allowed. However, regional carriers that OWN towers and spectrum must now be permitted to buy national access at "wholesale" rates from the big 3.

Sorry, but I see this having absolutely no impact on plans and prices. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

BearFBI

"Furthermore, these regional providers will have the flexibility to resell their wholesale access to mobile virtual network operators, which will enable further competition in the marketplace."

Looks like MVNO's are allowed in Canada. Dot isn't dead here, They just cant compete with the big carriers. 

These rules would benefit Shaw a lot. Too bad there getting bought by Robbers.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

So it seems like the CRTC want the major brands to carry the cheap plans that Public Mobile are currently offering.  I wonder if the trickle down economics will mean that the tier 2 and 3 brands will lower pricing a little bit to maintain the historical pricing differential that we are accustomed to seeing.  

Apart from forcing a minimum price plan, this latest round of changes did not amount to much.  Full on MVNO is not on the table.  Companies like DOT are left in the cold.  Frankly speaking it is not a bad outcome overall.  At the end of the day, the CRTC has to strike a balance in decision making.  They need ensure infrastructure investments while looking after the consumer.  

BearFBI

Woah. Almost missed this. 

There's lots of information on the dotmobile reddit. It sounds like only regional providers are forced to offer wholesale rates and allow NVMO's ?

That's still not bad but not good. Good for me because I have a regional eastlink carrier. 

I'm not exactly sure what happened. Dotmobile says it's more complicated now. 

These rules could've saved sugar mobile.

The rules are WAY better than before. At least dotmobile can actually launch on all the regional carriers. I read something about them needing a network of towers to allow access to the big 3. 

This will allow MORE competition in Canada and its actually good, Just not what everyone was expecting.

Baby steps.

XionBunny

I can't say I'm surprised by the big nothing burger decision by the CTRC, they need to be overhauled and the incumbent's influence over them removed.

So much expectation and no, no true MVNO is allowed in Canada, we're so well protected from them

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@LovesToPM     Hmm....most of those requirements from the CRTC for low cost or occasional use plans are already being offered by PM and even Telus Prepaid, so not sure if these new mandates will make much of difference unless a new MVNO like Dotmobile, that @BearFBI has high hopes for, can offer some better options for low cost plans for Canadians which might make the big 3 take notice.   Perhaps, but I don't see the big 3 doing much more with those requirements right now. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

And they've sorta been saying that all along. Well look...we have low cost offerings. What's your problem? They also complied with that Liberal thing that they recently dropped.

But whatever...it'll be interesting to see what comes of real, true MVNO's that don't belong to the big 3. I would have every cynical expectation that they would just get swallowed up by them anyway. As they do with all the newcomers...even Wind/Freedom.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

The CRTC low cost plans is similar to some of the PM plans.  Telus/PM may have preview from CRTC on what is coming down the pipe... and offers the new $35 unlimited CW minutes/SMS/MMS + 3GB data before the new CRTC rule released yesterday.

If the big-3 providers offer the $35 plan with 3GB at full LTE speed, PM may offer plans at high speed cap than current 3Mbps cap.  Just thinking out loud!!

oh yes, I think I read something about DotMobile giving away free SIM.  Let's hope it can give some pressure to PM.  The other day, someone did point out the fact here that PM has started making increasing data for  plans >$35.  Let's hope PM might also do something good to $25 or $15 plans

But if history means anything, these startup providers might be part of Rogers/Bell/Telus eventually 😥

Anonymous
Not applicable

@hTideGnow : From what I can interpret, the big 3 (4) are being compelled to offer cheaper plans. They're also being compelled to allow virtual operators to access their networks. There's a lot of talk about dotmobile in the lounge. There are others. User BearFBI seems to be on top of these things.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

specifically, what other telecommunication providers it meant?

Need Help? Let's chat.