cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCTS Report: Telus doing Terrible

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

CCTS has reported on the number of complaints it has received and the amount of complaints against Telus brands have dramatically increased.

https://pub.ccts-cprst.ca/2022-2023-mid-year-report/ 

Telus up 81%, Koodo up 75%, Rogers up 29% (including their nationwide outage), Bell down 6%

This certainly fits with my impressions from reading this forum and others and my friends attempt to switch to Koodo. I've seen the number and severity of issues posted dramatically increase.

Telus has a problem.

9 REPLIES 9

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Did you read my post? The price hike itself did not break the terms of service and as I said the CCTS does not accept complaints based on price increases (or decreases for that matter). Read the terms of service and maybe you will be able to see how pm broke the terms of service. If I had the money I would take the time to prove my point in court and then ask the CCTS for a review and a reversal of their decision. It's happened before and I'm sure would happen again if a customer is determined enough to hold a provider to account when the CCTS fails in its advocacy for a customer trying to resolve a dispute with their provider.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/2018/04/30/bell-loses-man-court/

While the nature of the dispute is different it shows that not only can the CCTS err in their decisions but contract law supercedes the WCC and the CCTS basing its decisions solely on the code fails to protect customers who do not have the deep pockets that mobile providers have to fight any action by a customer fighting for their rights.

Sorry @maximum_gato   I still don't see a price hike as breaking terms of service.  Carriers do have right to change the plan details and price as long as it gives enough notice. 

While we fight for consumer rights, we cannot ignore the right of the businesses and tilt one way in favour of the consumer side.  I keep repeating the same three words ( you don't want to hear that again.. LoL).   Anyway,  we argue on this topic enough times already.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

While the complaints to the CCTS may have been spurred on by the price hike they would not have been accepted based on that reason as it is not within their scope. They were legitimate complaints based on pm breaking the terms of service. While some complaints were eventually determined in pm's favour by the commission's opinion if those complainants chose to have a court of law rule on their cases they would have most likely won their cases. Unfortunately when Goliath has deep pockets and David is worried about when they will have their next meal seeking justice is simply a luxury they cannot afford.....and providers count on the fact.

Discounting legitimate complaints because you do not know the procedural code that the CCTS has to follow is insulting to the customers who took the considerable time and effort it takes to make a complaint and follow through with it. Count yourself lucky to have never been in that position.

@umnikke8 wrote:

The companies should be aiming for zero complaints.

@umnikke8   just like inflation, 0% is not an optimal stage.  You need some complaints to drive change and improvement

Again, I still think the % increase is somewhat misleading, or overstated the situation.  But no doubt, there are some goods and bads out of it

For PM alone, as @maximum_gato said, many complains were likely from the $10 to $13 price hikes, so it is unrelated with service.  Personally, I don't think the complaint to price hike is justified (remember there was also a $5 price drop for the used to be $35 plan, anyone wrote a letter to CCTS to show the appreciation?).  So, if there are really some complaints regarding price hike and you take away those, PM was doing as good as before

umnikke8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

When you're looking at the numbers to compare you have to consider how many subscribers each has. Telus traditionally has had fewer complaints reported than Bell and Rogers. In this report the number of complaints for Telus brands dramatically increased. I think this is a significant marker of bad things happening at Telus, a quick negative change. Further, just having similar amounts of complaints to Bell and Rogers isn't a good thing. The companies should be aiming for zero complaints.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@umnikke8 

Out of the big 3, Telus is lower than Rogers and Bell so I wouldn’t say it is terrible.

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

Year over year there has been no change in the percentage of complaints the CCTS has recieved from pm customers. However had they not imposed the 30% rate hike on the $10 50/50 legacy plan subscribers public mobile's total complaints percentage would have dropped by a minimum 20% leveling the playing field among its main third tier competitors.

More than likely the complaints filed against pm would have been half of their previous yearly total and would have shown the improvements they had made in ensuring that any customer service complaints are handled and settled in-house rather than making it all they way to a formal complaint process.

The employees handling pm customer complaints that have been "escalated" to the correct department are very professional and are given enough discretionary power to settle nearly all complaints to both pm's and the customer's satisfaction. All but 52 that is....

softech
Oracle
Oracle

thanks for the link

Something out of the report,

top 10 in order

Rogers, Bell, Telus, Fido,  Koodo, Freedom, Virgin Plus, Videotron, Saow, Fizz

**Public Mobile, 15th

Only Tier 3 providers

Public 15th 0.7%

Lucky 16th 0.5%

Chatr 19th 0.5%

Total for the 3 Tiers

Rogers - Fido - Chatr  29.8%

Telus - Koodo - PM  22.7%

Bell - Virgin - Lucky   21.5%

I would not say it is Terrible for Telus.   I think it's a ok report for Telus family, it is on the rise but it is sitll in the middle within ROBELLUS.   The rising trend is definitely a warning, but the absolute case number for Telus is still 150 behind Bell and 300+ behind Rogers

I don't like PM being the first out of the three Tier 3.  52 complains vs 38 (Lucky) and 34 (Chatr).  I wonder how many complaints coming out of the regulars here  🙂

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Can't say I'm surprised at this, honestly.

Need Help? Let's chat.