cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buy/Sell across border

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before I muddle my way through bureaucratic rabbit holes...does anybody know if a seller on either side of the border can come up to one side, the buyer comes up to the other side, transact the thing, then the buyer declares/imports it and takes it home.

Like all right there at the border crossing building. Neither officially entering or exiting the respective countries.

Is this a possibility?

Edit: lol well that wasn't much of a rabbit hole. No. Someone has to cross.

22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still not sure why everything devolves to pie. I don't get the reference if any. Fly's right over my head leaving me in bewilderment.

🙂

You know I make a mean lemon meringue.....

IMG_20171107_162732420.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

There's only Lemon Meringue.

@Anonymous 

Problem solved....awesome! So are you dropping by on the way to or from the airport? Shall I fire up the bbq or do you only have time for a peace of pie? Apple? Blueberry? Lemon Meringue.....?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo !!! That is a fantastic find. Thank you for that. So say 125lbs...that would be about $72. And they say something about YVR too. So I wouldn't have to take a ferry. But then I wouldn't be able to visit the Oracles of the Island. 🙂

So other than sight-unseen...there's the answer. I wouldn't have a problem buying something new out of the states and possibly having the hassle of returning it to the states. Which I did last summer for a phone.

But used is a whole 'nother matter.

Thank you very much!

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Anonymous  this service does USA to victoria. They might be able to suggest a USA YVR option .  Or good excuse to make a trip to Victoria 

https://www.seawings.ca/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : In my OP I did edit in that I had called the CBSA and they said someone has to cross. The thing has to be declared and imported. But obviously they're going to say the official word. I don't know how "flexible" things can actually be.

At the end of the day, I would still prefer to actually lay eyes on a used thing. And now even going there is too onerous to bother let alone cost. And then ship it from there myself. Or again return empty-handed.

@Jb456 : I'm willing to do the 4 hours...that's not a problem. I do like the commercial import idea.

I just have to forget about the states for now.

@Anonymous 

The government did make some changes so this may not work but traditionally you could meet in Peace Arch Park as its "neutral" so no one has left their respective countries, nor crossed any borders. You would have to research any changes that may have been made recently and if bringing a giant tv to be exchanged is allowed in a park that traditionally is a way for families separated by borders and immigration law can spend time together.

@Anonymous  Ah. You're 4 hours away from border. Darn. Thought maybe you were closer as people near border probably know all the ones. 

Not sure on new rules. I would say no though. Same as doctors, nurses and other essentials that can go back n forth. 

You're not necessarily limited to just that. Do you know any essential workers that cross back n forth for work? Like a nurse or doctor. Even read lawyers apparently have special rules to cross back n forth. (Was on news at some point forget what province but a woman's neighbor was a lawyer and drove over to get her mail).

Maybe also look at the transportation companies that are getting snowbirds cars over the border. Then they fly over and it's waiting at the airport for them. 

Here in Montreal. They drive cars, RVs over border and then fly the people in a prop plan over to USA airport where the vehicle is waiting for them. Heard Ontario near Niagara Falls they do the same and fly them over in a helicopter. In BC they bring the vehicles to Seattle and the people have to get a commercial flight to Seattle and there vehicle is waiting for them.

Worst case scenario. Put an add on Kijiji or FB recommendations. See what comes out of it. If you really really want the tv lol. Maybe get the seller to do a live video chat with you so you can see if it works properly. Or just bite the bullet and pay for them to ship it to you. 

Best of luck. Should change the title to Z10s world wide tv adventures lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Jb456 . I do use one of those ship-to services at the border but of course I can't get there and back without a giant hassle. So the idea of one of those licensees being able to just pop down and back would be awesome. How the heck does one find one of those?!

The other problem is buying something like this sight-unseen. So I drive 4 hours to meet the licensed guy and then drive back and set it up and it's boogered. Great.

Do you know if the new US rules from the new government affect these licensed guys though?

Whereas being able to go to someones place and check it out would be much more preferable. Yup it works and nothing appears wrong. Pay for it and take it away.

People buy new tv's online and have them delivered. But you can return it. Not a used one.

In all this I have totally thought of you. Jeez I bet this would be a piece o' cake for Jb456. 🙂

Thanks. I'll see about how I can find such a service.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

Just a suggestion that may help you. Near most borders they have ship it shops. You order something from anywhere in USA and put the delivery address as the ship it shop. They accept your parcel at a cost of ($3 to $5 Trump dollars) at least that's the price in Quebec area. The ship it shop then notifies you they have received the parcel and to come pick it up. At this time you unfortunately can't due to covid. However there are alot of people (Canadians) that have commercial import business licenses to freely cross back n forth over the border (without the covid rules). Many in this area and I've heard of a few in Ontario go back n forth weekly to pick up stuff for people. Even food at the grocery store that you can't get in Canada. So you may want to see if you can find someone in your area that does this. Then get the seller to either meet them (if they're near same border) or to ship it to a ship it shop and then they can pick it up there and bring it over border for you. To bad you weren't located near me I would have went over the border for you. 

mimmo

@Anonymous  you just need to phrase it differently hey honey you know how you always wanted to visit  city xyz, I think we should, it would be a great road trip, see the Rockies, visit some wineries and  while we are there I we can pick up that tv I have been looking for 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

I commend you for putting in this level of effort for a TV.  It is not a good idea to travel across the country at this moment.  Give it a revisit in 6 months time.  

@will13am 

I'm not sure I was asking for advice. I can make my own decisions and acceptance of risk. I had merely mused rhetorically. Covid or not it would be ridiculous to drive half way across the country for a stupid tv. But we all do our things.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I commend you for putting in this level of effort for a TV.  It is not a good idea to travel across the country at this moment.  Give it a revisit in 6 months time.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am : Currently? And now new rules from the new government? Negative tests and quarantining. Too much hassle for private selling/buying.

Not covid current, but recent.  My brother in-law is into boating.  He always buys used in the US which is a way bigger market and much better pricing.  

@will13am 

Pre and post covid I would totally go there and look and maybe buy it and haul it home. But I can't now. There are more out east in ON but that's a huge drive and winter. Would that be worth it? (rhetorically) The spouse would definitely say not. 🙂

@Anonymous wrote:

@will13am : Currently? And now new rules from the new government? Negative tests and quarantining. Too much hassle for private selling/buying.

Not covid current, but recent.  My brother in-law is into boating.  He always buys used in the US which is a way bigger market and much better pricing.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It seems like there is a bit of a gap that cannot really be bridged.  I know a number of people who buy used stuff from across the border.  In all cases, they cross over and bring it back.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo 

As my long post about a tv says, my eyes see effects in modern screens that I don't like to see. My old plasma screen doesn't show it.

So I'm waiting for another one of this calibre to pop up. Just bigger. There are more of them in the states but I can't get there from here.

Shipping I would imagine would be prohibitive for size and weight. But then of course I just spent a couple hundred bucks on a rental and gas.

Eventually I'll have to give in to modern technology so hopefully they'll have figured out the effects by then.

I do wonder if there's something like these snowbirds shipping their rv's over the line and them flying over and getting in and going.

Maybe a service (not the full-fledged shippers) that will pick up items and bring them across. Not deliver to you. Just somewhere across, convenient enough for you to get.

Regardless...I'd still want to lay eyes on it. I can't yet bring myself to buy something like that sight-unseen.

mimmo

Wow that must be some tv for all the effort. 

You could have the person ship it ? Do they still do COD? I guess but that takes lists of faith though on both parties.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : 🙂 yup lol

mimmo

@Anonymous  still trying to get your tv?

Need Help? Let's chat.