cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BlackBerry Keyboard

Thecrimson1919
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is just a random annoyance but... Is anyone else peeved by the fact that on this forum the double space on your BlackBerry Keyboard just does this . 

It's amazing how you can used to something then anything else just seems wrong .

14 REPLIES 14

SwiftKey does have swipe typing.

The upside is that the prediction can be consistently excellent - Microsoft brags that they use a natural language AI to learn how you communicate so that eventually you need fewer simple gestures to "type" more complex words, phrases, sentences. It gets better and customized the more you use it.

The downside is that the predictions are never 100% accurate. So you can end up typing some really dumb, confusing, or embarassing stuff if you get too comfortable.

And, of course, Microsoft gets a copy of everything you type on SwiftKey. Which is what we in the tinfoil hat business call a keylogger. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Thecrimson1919 wrote:

Why would anyone with a BlackBerry the want to download another keyboard. That's the whole point of having a BlackBerry. They have the best keyboard.

@Korth wrote:

SwiftKey is pretty good.

@Thecrimson1919 yeah I used to love the BB keyboard on my Z10.  After moving to a (non-BB) Android phone, I struggled a bit. Initially I landed on SwiftKey as @Korth suggested.  It is very good.  But for the past couple of years I've now been using Google's own GBoard.  It has gotten MUCH better in recent history.  Also, I used to think that swipe typing wasn't for me, until I saw a colleague doing it recently in GBoard, and I decided to try it again.  it is amazing, I'm now about 75% swipe and 25% 2-thumb (non-swipe) typing, and loving it.  It's worth trying out if you haven't recently.  I believe SwiftKey also offers swipe typing, though I haven't tried that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

DL888
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just Bravo you for still using a BB Smiley Very Happy

Thecrimson1919

Why would anyone with a BlackBerry the want to download another keyboard. That's the whole point of having a BlackBerry. They have the best keyboard. Annoying double spacebar dots? That's what wasn't working when I made this post. It was just making a space then a period instead of adding a quick period as the double space should. 

KeyOne is also a PKB so no need to have an app...although it's an option. 

If the device runs Android then you can install different keyboards (apps). Which can replace or augment the built-in keyboard app. 

SwiftKey is pretty good. It can support custom keymaps/bindings, hotkeys/shortcuts, macros, etc. Some versions have settings for fine control over auto-punctuation, auto-spell, spacing, caps, and prediction which cause "annoying" behaviours/quirks (like double spacebar dots). 

Thecrimson1919

Seems. To. Work. Now. My. Post. Is. Pretty. Old. 

My BlackBerry keyone does. Double. Spaces. Correctly. ?

Or is this an issue with BB10 OS?

Thecrimson1919

CellGirl

@Thecrimson1919 wrote:

@CellGirl I was excited for android when I got my Priv . I had the Z10 and after a while just found BB10 too out of date and didn't like having to sideload apps even though there was a third party app that made it easy...some still didn't work. 

With Android we get the great BlackBerry features...either the VKB or the PKB(or both) plus the Hub and launcher. What I didn't want to lose stuck around and we didn't get all the bloatware you get with Samsung for example .

I didn't want the PKB but when my Priv broke the only options with Telus device care(since the Priv was discontinued) were the S5 or the KeyOne. The S5 was a huge downgrade and I hate Samsung .ended up loving the PKB all over again. 

I won't get a subsidized phone again so I may have the leave BB on the next one due to price .

@Thecrimson1919

I have enough blackberries to last the rest of my life! Just the way I like it. I used to use a z10 for a short time, until known hardware issues developed. I have to say, the z10 has the best virtual keyboard than other phones. The rest of my blackberries have physical keyboards, which is my preference.

I don't mind sideloading--easy enough. But disappointing when a couple of my main apps didn't work. Regardless, I still swap my SIM between android and BB10 phones periodically, 'cause BB10 OS is still the cleanest and best OS around 😄

Thecrimson1919

@CellGirl I was excited for android when I got my Priv . I had the Z10 and after a while just found BB10 too out of date and didn't like having to sideload apps even though there was a third party app that made it easy...some still didn't work. 

With Android we get the great BlackBerry features...either the VKB or the PKB(or both) plus the Hub and launcher. What I didn't want to lose stuck around and we didn't get all the bloatware you get with Samsung for example .

I didn't want the PKB but when my Priv broke the only options with Telus device care(since the Priv was discontinued) were the S5 or the KeyOne. The S5 was a huge downgrade and I hate Samsung .ended up loving the PKB all over again. 

I won't get a subsidized phone again so I may have the leave BB on the next one due to price .

CellGirl

@Thecrimson1919 wrote:

Haha. No they're still kicking. Alcatel makes the phones now for "Blackberry Mobile" I beliebe Blackberry still handles the security and updates themselves but I could be wrong.

Blackberry in general still specializes in security and makes software for cars among other things. The Canadian Government actually just invested a bunch of money in Blackberry to help Canada's advancement in Autonomous Vehicles.

FYI I love my Blackberry(KeyOne) and its Android so it's just as good or better than some other phones. And I have dropped the thing 1001 times and I have yet to break it.

@Thecrimson1919

Right on!!!  I too, use a KeyOne. I didn't expect to love it since it's android, but it's pretty great 🙂 I've stockpiled blackberry 10 OS models---and yes, they still work 😉 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wickedgx wrote:

Wow you still have a blackberry. I thought they were dead already.

@wickedgx 

F'in rights man! I'm still running the earlier BB OS10 before they gave in to Android. It has an Android 4.3 runtime though. Does everything I need it to do.

Alas though.

Thecrimson1919

Haha. No they're still kicking. Alcatel makes the phones now for "Blackberry Mobile" I beliebe Blackberry still handles the security and updates themselves but I could be wrong.

Blackberry in general still specializes in security and makes software for cars among other things. The Canadian Government actually just invested a bunch of money in Blackberry to help Canada's advancement in Autonomous Vehicles.

FYI I love my Blackberry(KeyOne) and its Android so it's just as good or better than some other phones. And I have dropped the thing 1001 times and I have yet to break it.

wickedgx
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Wow you still have a blackberry. I thought they were dead already.

Need Help? Let's chat.