cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Friday is Coming

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

So Black Friday is only weeks away and I know many here are active on RFD but many aren't.  Thought I would create a thread people could post amazing deals they know of or what you are looking for and we might be able to help each other out when the big day comes.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

10 REPLIES 10

@stonechucker wrote:

@will13am, I'm currently test driving Vader.  It was recommended by a friend and it's usable on the equipment I currently have.  Having some issues right now getting the EPG setup and working correctly.  This is something I don't have to normally worry about with a regular TV subscription, so it's a bit of a pain right now, especially as I can't copy and paste from their website (built in copy prevention).

EPG is hit and miss.  Lot of channels don't even have anything. On your next renewal, check out the RFD group buys.  Best price in town. 

@will13am, I'm currently test driving Vader.  It was recommended by a friend and it's usable on the equipment I currently have.  Having some issues right now getting the EPG setup and working correctly.  This is something I don't have to normally worry about with a regular TV subscription, so it's a bit of a pain right now, especially as I can't copy and paste from their website (built in copy prevention).

I've got a 50" SONY Bravia, running at 1080p - It's enough for my apartment living room.  I want the 1080p resolution as I have it available on my multi year old TV, and I do not need to replace it anytime soon.

I do not have a cable or satellite service as current ISP doesn't have TV out (yet, it's coming this fall).

Fibe from Bell is a no go, only DSL 6 service to my building.  Roger's Fibre may be here, but prices are more than I want to pay to bundle TV and Internet.

For me, it's about combined value.  Price and Quality of service.  I currently can get a maximum of 1080p, I want 1080p video at a reasonable price.  I'll settle for 720p streams, but anything 'standard definition' is sadly outdated, and looks bad on a 1080p display.

@stonechucker wrote:

@NDesai whose getting 4K TVs when everyone is cable cutting, and if you're not in aCity with signal towers, you aren't getting the 4K.

Heck, I just ordered an IPTV package to try for a month, and I'm not even getting 1080p on all the channels, as the broadcasters aren't proving anything over 720p in most cases.

Lol, IPTV is all about quantiy, not quality.  If anyone tells you differently, they are shilling snake oil.  What service are you test driving?  I am using ok2/ok3. 

With respect to TV, unless you are looking at super large screens and viewing from a really short distance, 1080 is fine.  I will go 4k when 80+ inch OLED becomes affordable.  In the mean time, I am totally happy with my plasma which still outpeforms edge lit LED. 

@stonechucker wrote:

@NDesai whose getting 4K TVs when everyone is cable cutting, and if you're not in aCity with signal towers, you aren't getting the 4K.

Lot of gamers out there!

@stonechucker wrote:

Heck, I just ordered an IPTV package to try for a month, and I'm not even getting 1080p on all the channels, as the broadcasters aren't proving anything over 720p in most cases.

Look harder. I know a lot about it, and if you need help, send me a pm 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Marketing, marketing, marketing. Ooh look a shiny new bauble that can show a dust mite from 20' away...you. must. have. it. 🙂

First of all, our eyes can't see that from 20' away (I know it's an exaggerated example).

Secondly, try buying a tv without all those bells and whistles. I still have a 2008 screen. It wasn't the top of the line best thing out there because yes indeed I sit usually about 10-12' away from the screen. It's 720p. The distributor can output 1080i. I don't know what the source is providing. It's perfectly fine for my viewing situation. I have to get close to see the "screen door effect". I don't sit that close.

I'm kind of in the market looking for a larger screen. All I see are the wildly unnecessary to me tech on these things.

I'm not intending to cut any cables yet (although I'm on satellite 🙂 ) but presently I'm just looking for bigger.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

Just be careful with your wallet. I would only get the things i need. Never buy for future use as prices are dropped from already high priced items. Have you ever wondered why 720/1080p tvs are still not under $100 especially in Canada when 4K tvs are now going for less than $400?

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I'm looking for a Meshify C for $80. No window right now on newegg.ca is $100. The case isn't mandatory but I have been only using a case with just 1 exhaust fan for 10 years even after many upgrades. I'm looking to finally get some positive pressure airflow and actual airflow in my PC.

Apparently my whole setup has been running 10 to 20C higher than what I should be getting and it's because I only have negative pressure. HSF, GPU, and rear fan are all exhaust. There is no intake in my machine.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Sometimes I don't have anything to get on Black Friday. In that case, I have an alternative use for this annual retail event: I price match items recently bought if the purchase dates are close enough.

Need Help? Let's chat.