cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have internet not from Telus, Shaw or Eastlink?

Witcher
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Now I have cut down my cell phone bill looking at other ways to save money. Would love to hear options and opinions. I figure I maybe limited as Im on the Sunshine Coast BC.

Thanks

Mike

16 REPLIES 16

Karnbot13
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I personally can't wait to see all the streaked photos from ground based astronomy photographers because of its low earth orbit. All in the name of global 5G, yay? I am encouraged that they're trying to do something about it but the project screams of a bull headed tool pushing ahead, consequences be damned. 

Let's not devolve into an argument about Starlink.

I think it'll be good, but not as much as it's being hyped. There's always costs and tradeoffs, if only one solution was perfect for every situation then there wouldn't be other solutiions.

You think it'll be fantastic, that it will deliver on all the lofty promises being made. And sometimes the hopeful optimists do get something good which leaves the wary cynics in the dust.

Time will tell, results will speak for themselves. Until then, people can talk about it all they like but nothing will change.

Witcher

But your selling people on saving money it should be a no brainer 😊 I’m going to be pushing people to public too 👍

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@BearFBI 

Heavily invested in Starlink are we? 🙂

Sounds like a sales pitch.

Don't get me wrong...I might wait a bit before I settle on a new ISP due to reading all this.

Lol it deserves credit. Not many people know about it. They don't pay billions of dollars for advertising that's why its not that known. Also the more people that buy Starlink the more money is being funded to SpaceX for Mars exploration.

Its like Public Mobile. Everyone i talk to about it i make it sound like a sales pitch. 

BearFBI

@Korth wrote:

Wired internet is intrinsically superior to wireless internet in terms of reliability, performance, and security - nobody will ever convince me otherwise

I remember reading something that the receiver needed to exchange all of these encryption keys just to provide a secure connection through the Starlink network. Its not even using IPV6 its using a end to end encryption protocol so its "IP less" Apparently it makes it more secure. Satellite internet security is not a problem as current satellite internet are used by many businesses and applications around the world. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI 

Heavily invested in Starlink are we? 🙂

Sounds like a sales pitch.

Don't get me wrong...I might wait a bit before I settle on a new ISP due to reading all this.

BearFBI

@Korth Starlink is more important than 5G. First of all it is costing 150 Billion USD to run fiber for 5G towers in the US. Starlink is costing a total of 10 Billion USD from rocket launches to satellites. So Starlink is significantly cheaper and it doesn't just cover the US it covers the whole world. Even poor countries where 5G towers would be impossible. 5G will only work where their is existing internet infrastructure so its not like its going to solve the worlds internet problem.

Now lets talk about speeds. 5G and Starlink will deliver around the same speeds (1Gbps). In terms of latency 5G looses. Starlink has big latency advantages especially over long distances. 5G could act as a bridge for some customers such as the financial markets where time is worth a lot of money. Starlink is faster in terms of latency than our undersea fiber optic cables. Its faster than anything on earth.

Starlink will equip structures and more demanding, high bandwidth vehicle applications. 5G will supply handhelds and less demanding mobile vehicle applications. Starlink will be a candidate to provide backhaul for cell sites including 5G. 

Vehicles that use Starlink uplinks may also have 5G as a backup when in congested urban areas or lacking clear line of site overhead (tunnels, deep valleys). 

This video will explain starlink better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrpTD18-akY

I don't really expect SpaceX Starlink to be that grand. "Global 5G" sounds spectactular - and I hope I'm proven wrong - but I think it's still a lot of hype and will take a long time to deliver.

But I do expect Starlink to be much better than what satellite can currently offer. Perhaps even at a reasonable price. So I hope it'll stoke the fires of competition. Wired internet is intrinsically superior to wireless internet in terms of reliability, performance, and security - nobody will ever convince me otherwise - but here in Canada it's sourced from yet another CRTC oligopoly with artificially inflated overprices. If a wireless internet option (like Starlink) offers decent and affordable performance in Canada then the existing Canadian wired internet providers will have to shuffle their prices downwards to prevent substantial customer migration.

Witcher

could be interesting and if cheaper than the bigger players it would be nice

BearFBI

@Witcher Yeah its currently a SpaceX project. I am not sure of pricing for the service but its supposed to bring affordable sattelite internet to the world. Speeds can reach up to 1 Gbps. 

Witcher

Isn’t that the chain of satellites that can be seen and low orbit and Elon musk is involved through space x?

BearFBI

@Witcher I currently use Vianet. Its a local service. Prices are meh. But I'm waiting on something called starlink. Its a sattelite internet constellation in low earth orbit providing Gigabit speeds and extremely low latency. The user terminal is only supposted to be 200$ and the monthly service fee is supposed to be cheaper than anything we got here. Its comeing out summer of 2020 in North America and 2021 for the rest of the world.

Witcher

Thanks for the info 🙂

A friend of mine near Sechelt subscribes to a company called Raincoast. She seems to villify and condemn them endlessly.

https://www.findinternet.ca/en/sechelt-british-columbia

I subscribe to Telus Optik for home - just can't beat wired gigabit broadband with 3ms pings, lol - although my employer pays half my ridiculous $105/month Telus internet bill.

Consider "wireless home internet" options. They're based on wide area WiFi networks, cellular 3G/4G networks, satellite, etc. Many alternatives to Telus/Bell/Shaw extortion and highway robbery.

I also subscribe to Xplornet for mobile data - although I'm thinking of suspending service during slow months when I don't need it. I pay $19.95/month for 60GB "LTE" data, 5Mbps/5Mbps up/down, on their network which basically covers all of my city and adjacent cities and maybe half the Fraser Valley. You might have something similar wherever you live. It's just stupid to pay Big Three excessive premiums adding a few precious GB of cellular data to your phone plan if you have these sorts of alternatives in your area.

Witcher

Thanks for the recommendation 🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Witcher wrote:

Now I have cut down my cell phone bill looking at other ways to save money. Would love to hear options and opinions. I figure I maybe limited as Im on the Sunshine Coast BC.

Thanks

Mike

Check out Can Com. I've been a happy customer.

Need Help? Let's chat.