cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody using Linux phone

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

If yes, would you mind sharing the experience?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

I used Ubuntu Mobile for about half a year and SHR for a few months. I woukd use SHR again if/when it gets ported onto my phone. 

There's about a dozen "linux" flavours compiled specifically for mobile devices, I've read what sorts of experiences other people have had with some the linuxes I haven't tried myself.

Mobile linuxes are good compared vs Androids. But not great in the same sorts of way that desktop linuxes are awesome vs Windows/MacOS.

They tend to come with all the standard phone apps you'd expect. Good apps, arguably even better than stock Android apps, definitely not as good as the better/best apps you could download on Android.

They tend to havr limited device compatibility. Your phone model is on the short list or it's not.

They tend to require some linux knowkedge. You don't have to be a linux guru but you might sometimes be unable to do simple things (like install an app) if you can't command-line sone bash and shell sorts of stuff.

They tend to give full user control over everything. But with great power comes great oops if you don't know enough stuff.

There's a lot of dedicated fanatics working to make mobile linux Really Happen. And they know their stuff. And I think they really will prosper, eventually, because more people hate Apple/Google/Microsoft every year and more mobile devices keep connecting every year. Mobile linux needs a decade or so to become what desktop linux already is. But in the meantime, Android or iOS are definitely smarter and better choices... more available, more compatible, more upgradeable, more software, more options, more simple, less hassle, no brainer. 

GGPlayer
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Well in thoery, all Android phones are Linux phones. But I know you mean other type of distribution other than Android. Several years ago the lab I worked at bought a Linux phone to do some wirelss communication tests. At that time, no Linux distros are customized so well for handheld devices. I would say it's really hard to use it.

I know Ubuntu was planning to release its own phone before but never heard about it afterwards.

Need Help? Let's chat.