cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any students on here who are relying on the Cerb extending to them?

Shadowfox
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am a student and because of the covid 19 pandemic have been laid off of my classes and qualify for literally nothing in terms of financial assistance. I thought maybe I could make a message here to share any information I may find as well as what anyone else  may find in terms of financial assistance. Just thought we could all help each other out and keep each other posted on the ever changing events.

So, far all I am aware of is many students have been talking to the government in order to possibly get the funding extended on to them. Let me know if you may have any other updates 🙂

8 REPLIES 8

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Being a student I barely made the $5000 year requirement for last year. Had to work 2 part time jobs and working on my own little business and all that barely let me qualify (like total income is about $5100) so I do technically qualify and I can’t work now because of Covid-19 But I barely made it while working basically 3 jobs and schooling last year.

lots of students aren’t able to do that and I hope the CERB is extended to students. Also I been trying to help people save money any way I can to help them but I also reduced my phone plan price 

Shadowfox

Thanks so much!!

Shadowfox

You're not wrong. I should try to contact them again and see if they could give me any advise on what I may qualify for.

Shadowfox

From what I'm seeing on here and from my own research there is more information coming our way withing the next couple of days. Apparently people on welfare now qualify for the CERB so I cant see why we wouldn't as well.  

@Shadowfox  Yes you will likely qualify when they announce assistance for post secondary students today or tomorrow. Take the time to make sure your CRA account is up to date and you have the correct direct deposit info on you account. This way once you are allowed to apply you will get the three day direct deposit payments.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Shadowfox Most certainly sad times for all. 

I think they announced something today that involves students. Benefit called CERB, most students should qualify as they will ease the requirements. More info on students specifically will follow shortly.

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cerb-emergency-benefits-trudeau-1.5532767

There's always welfare if nothing else. But on the plus side, welfare is so notoriously reluctant to hand out money that - once they finally allow you to speak with an actual case worker - they'll probably advise, assist, and accelerate your access to any other governmental fundings you can qualify for.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@Shadowfox I feel you. you can always go on welfare. banks have been lending out loans. I don't know what the interest rates on that would be.

Need Help? Let's chat.