cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any 500$-550$ 50" TV recommendations ?

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I am currently in the market for a new TV. I am looking for a 50 Inch TV between 500$-550$. 

I am currently looking into the New TCL 5 series. 

Does anybody here have a TCL TV. If so how good has it been so far ?

20 REPLIES 20

yanzhiqiang

@gwhitema wrote:

@yanzhiqiang I would recommend TCL. They sell the 5 series in 55". It depends on your budget. If you can afford the 6 series then I would buy that instead.

Thanks I have been looking for sales since my old one (1080p) still working, I may find a good price on black Friday or boxing day. 

@CFPartDeux wrote:

@darlicious wrote:

@BearFBI 

The 32" ended up replacing a second hand SOMY that I had  for over 20 years.  It wasn't until it died that I noticed it wasn't actually a SONY.....the logo was so tightly spaced that i had never looked that closely at it!

Ok, I'll bite..... so what brand was it?

@CFPartDeuxWhy it was SOMY......it said it was still made in Japan so who knows. I can only assume it was brand fake getting around the law by branding themselves SOMY. The tv I have to guess was early '80's? Built to last....over 40 years! Not bad for a fake!

9300mattz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

RCA Hasa deal on at walmart right now. Its a Smart tv too! Look up on the flipp app

gwhitema
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@yanzhiqiang I would recommend TCL. They sell the 5 series in 55". It depends on your budget. If you can afford the 6 series then I would buy that instead.

yanzhiqiang

I need a new TV too maybe 55'

gwhitema
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Korth no the TVL TV im buying has Roku TV. Roku TV is awesome. It dosent come with any apps. You have to actually install the apps. The smart feature of the TV is awesome. It saves me from having to buy a Android box or streaming device. 

@Anonymous 

I agree. Better specs on the panel hardware matter most to me. A bunch of built-in software I won't ever run is unimportant and can even be problematic because it just adds complexity which can break things (software demands updates or whatever) ... although on the plus side it can also be a fallback for troubleshooting when the software problems are actually being caused by an external input device. The manufacturers make too much profit from this practice to resist temptation.

But software has high profit margin - costs some money to figure out the first one then costs next to nothing to make copies, so it can slap a whole bunch of recognizeable brands and logos on the box to advertise a whole ton of features which substantially increase pricetag without substantially increasing production cost.

It's bothersome because they combine things which are desired (like all the basic settings and audio/video filters, enhancements, etc) with things which aren't desired (like cloud-reporting telemetry so you TV set has spyware in it, lol). We're actually getting to the point where hacking/modding firmware in TV sets isn't just the domain of tinfoil hat weirdos. The only downside is that you end up having to pay for more than you want, TV prices keep increasing just a little faster than TV panel specs can match pace.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Korth wrote:

Just don't pay extra for a "Smart TV" stuffed full of embedded apps - YouTube, Netflix, Ted Talks, Kodi, Plex, Crave, etc etc. Because you'll likely not even plug it into cable or antenna or built-in TV tuner anyhow - you'll probably attach it (like a big dumb computer monitor) to a PVR set box or an Android box or an HTPC or whatever other device actually receives the content and runs the software. If the "Smart TV" bloat is free then great, if it inflates the price $$-$$$ then it's better to put that money towards a "dumb" TV with better panel hardware.

It's not easy finding decent dumb tv's these days though. For me it's all about picture quality and accurate display of what the producer intended. A lot like audio. Not whacked out equalization that the producer did not intend you to hear. But hey we all have different tastes for A/V. And different wallets.

Just don't pay extra for a "Smart TV" stuffed full of embedded apps - YouTube, Netflix, Ted Talks, Kodi, Plex, Crave, etc etc. Because you'll likely not even plug it into cable or antenna or built-in TV tuner anyhow - you'll probably attach it (like a big dumb computer monitor) to a PVR set box or an Android box or an HTPC or whatever other device actually receives the content and runs the software. If the "Smart TV" bloat is free then great, if it inflates the price $$-$$$ then it's better to put that money towards a "dumb" TV with better panel hardware.

Mattredwingsfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Usually Best Buy has their 4k 55inch TV's on sale for like $499 all the time, they have Roku built it which is nice but you are limited in their "App store" but you get what you pay for

it was probably a sanyo 😆

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@darlicious wrote:

@BearFBI 

The 32" ended up replacing a second hand SOMY that I had  for over 20 years.  It wasn't until it died that I noticed it wasn't actually a SONY.....the logo was so tightly spaced that i had never looked that closely at it!

Ok, I'll bite..... so what brand was it?

@BearFBI 

I'm quite pleased with these two tv's picture is great with very little "fade" when watching from an extreme angle. They are workhorses with one of them on almost 24 hours a day for the past 7 years.Both are smart tv's  not that I've ever really used those features. The 32" ended up replacing a second hand SOMY that I had  for over 20 years.  It wasn't until it died that I noticed it wasn't actually a SONY.....the logo was so tightly spaced that i had never looked that closely at it!

BearFBI

@CFPartDeux This is true. TV manufacturers use a whole bunch of parts from different manufacturers. 

I found that RCA is "Made in North America" From a quick Google search ill try to find where I found that. Im not sure how much of that is true. It could be assembled in North America. I bet a few parts are from China. 

Really it does not matter where its made. All TV's are made in china or have parts made there. 

TCL is a chinese brand but apparently they make good TV's and their extremely popular.  As long as the TV is good im buying it. 

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@BearFBI wrote:

Wow ! I just found out that RCA Tv's are made in North America. Not China ! I bet they last longer than any Samsung or LG.

Where'd you find that info? Got a link, perhaps?

Just a small heads-up for anybody looking for where TVs are made - I have a friend that used to be in the electronics repair business, and I recall him showing me, years ago, how various brands will fake out consumers. This is back when Japanese made electronics were the ones to have, due to their quality, and Korean made stuff was generally cheap junk, but gaining more & more market share, simply due to price. He showed me a Sony TV, that on the back case said, "Made in Japan", but then he pointed out how all the internal components were made in Korea, or China, and the set was pretty much crap..... the "made in Japan" sticker referred to the black plastic back of the TV, that was made in Japan! 🙄

Oh, and there's also the other way of faking out consumers, i.e. saying something is "made" somewhere, when in fact all the parts are produced somewhere else, and shipped to a certain location and assembled there, and then called, "Made in xyz".

BearFBI

@darlicious Keep on to those TV's untill they break. TV's now are built so cheap. I bet the new RCA series isint nearly as reliable as their old ones.

Im buying a new TV because my 1080P plasma broke after 11 years. It died due to a surge. My surge protector was old and the last power outage totaled it with the TV. Its not worth getting the PSU repaired so im just gonna buy a new TV. 

Wow ! I just found out that RCA Tv's are made in North America. Not China ! I bet they last longer than any Samsung or LG.

I think my CC gives an extra year of warranty for purchased electronics. Im not sure ill have to see. 

The only problem with RCA is they don't have too much appealing products to me. 

@BearFBI 

BTW....I have two RCA tv's a 32" (7 yrs old) and a 40" (5 yrs old) and have no complaints. Both bought at canadian tire with their very flexible return/exchange policy with extended warranty from my credit card.

BearFBI

@Jb456 Yeah I saw that TV too. I always buy from Costco as I can get 5 years warranty out of it for only 60$. I just don't trust Hisense as they have quality control issues. Most panels have the "Dirty Screen Efect" and lots of Banding. They also dont last that long. Same with Vizo I don't trust them either.

@BearFBI 

RCSS has no a tax sale (save 13%) until Wednesday August 20th in Ontario here are the advertised prices for televisions but YMMV could apply check online at your local store.....

1. 65" RCA 4K SMART TV $499.98, 55"4K QLED $399.98, "50 4K $299.98
  2. 58" BOLVA 4K SMART TV $399.00
  3. 40" SAMSUNG FHD SMART TV $299.00
  4. 49" LG 4K SMART TV $498.98 50" $629.00

Check in your pc optimum offers for the current first time pc express customer offer spend $100 get 15,000 points ($15) or its possible you have a spend $30/$40/$50 (every) get 3k/4k/5k?

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Was just at Costco. They have 50 inch 4K Hisense Roku smart TVs for $348.99 with eco fee (Quebec province so maybe different prices in your area)..2 years warranty and you can buy an extra 3 year warranty for $29.99 for a total of 5 year warranty. 

55inch was $448.99 plus another $29.99 if you wanted the extra 3 year warranty.

If you're a Costco member id suggest finding a tv there as they also allow you 90 days to return it no questions asked if you don't really like the tv.

Thinking about it. You could buy one now and use it until Black Friday in November, return it, then get something else when the big deals happen for Black Friday.

Happy shopping 😁

Need Help? Let's chat.