cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And the Monopoly Grows…. Eastlink to lose 33 of its biggest channels

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This may be irrelevant to most of you, endless you live in the east coast or in certain parts of Ontario.

Eastlink has just lost 33 channels from its TV lineup. The 33 channels were quite the major ones which were owned by Corus. The assumption is that Eastlink simply didn’t want to pay for them anymore. 

This is horrible for Canadians, because the monopoly the big 3 has is only growing. Eastlink was a big player, in fact, I’d argue that they are bigger than Freedom/Shaw (which won’t even exist soon), as they have a larger more robust infrastructure . 

Anyway, it’s looking like Eastlink TV is going under leaving us Eastern and Northern Ontarian’s with less. Many people will have to jump ship to Bell or Telus (East Coast) and in the parts of Ontario, WE ONLY HAVE BELL. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9783071/eastlink-customers-lose-corus-entertainment-channels/

2 REPLIES 2

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

monopoly.. what can you do

just like phone companies. We had a lot, then Rogers bought this , Telus bought that, and Bell joined to buy.  In the end, we pretty much still have Big 3, or Bigger 3.   What can us, consumers, do?

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How awful for customers of Eastlink as less choice is never good for customers and they will most likely lose customers now which means less revenue and bankruptcy eventually. 

I have some small sympathy for the bigger companies since different streaming services give customers more options than to sign up for the more traditional cable package but on the other hand there are too many channels that seem to be duplicates and just clutter up the guide from the these cable companies.  I know our family mostly watch the same few channels from our cable service offering hundreds of channels and we end up watching many shows on youtube and amazon firestick instead.

Need Help? Let's chat.