cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I just cheap or is this a good deal?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

Just got this promo sent to my email from Public Mobile. Instead of giving us something worthwhile on our existing plans for being a loyal customer, I get this. Who watches TV anyways? I got rid of that years ago. As for internet, I am with a reseller which is way cheaper.

There is no way I'd go for this so called deal which is on a 2 year contract before it goes up to $178.

So you PM customers let me know if I am just being cheap or if this is really a good deal?

NC = Not Cheap

YC = You are the cheapest $%%^!!!!&%$

telus.jpg

40 REPLIES 40

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@JK8 

It might be a good deal “if” you used all the extras. We use a lot of Netflix. I find TV to be a bunch of crap.....perhaps a thing of the past. I have basic TV and simply won’t buy another “package” to get one good channel and 4 more crap ones. I got Apple TV + as a freebie and it is 100% pure crap....now cancelled.  Study the pricing for Telus and Shaw from online ads and know what you want and negotiate a good price for only what you want. 

hitcher
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I dont know how their service is now, but in the past the internet was slow and shut down alot.........if its improved than yes, its a good deal.

@JK8 

Not much but I have to dig for the turkey so that'll free up some space!

@darlicious 

You scored big. Hope you have room in your freezer.

@JK8 

Pane di fromaggio has outdone themselves.....my second visit they were unbelievably generous! Price $6.99

PXL_20211002_045506625.jpgPXL_20211007_051020739.jpgPXL_20211007_051309296.jpg

@darlicious 

That’s a good score. I always put buns in the fridge to extend the life. 

@JK8 

This more like I expected. $5

PXL_20210913_003206781.jpg

@JK8 

The scones no...but we dared each other to try the wrap which was edible. What's really sad is I have always wanted to try this little place as they serve high tea and their pastry displays look delicious. So the dogs breakfast they gave me that I highly suspect were pulled off the trays served to the birthday party that was leaving as I arrived (definitely breaking covid protocols)has not only determined they lost any future regular business from me but I also will not refer any business to them either as I have in the past. I have made a complaint to the app just to see what their response is to this kind of situation.

I agree and would say I am more than even steven as Cilantro's food was fantastic and I would be happy to order from them over the Indian restaurant I have been ordering from for the past 25 years. I will be recommending them to my friends and neighbours in the hopes that this new business stays afloat (open for just 6 months). That one order had two of us snacking on the appy's Friday night. Then last night I made basmati rice and a salad and gave my pescatarian neighbour dinner (w/the calamari) and three of us had the butter chicken.

IMG_20210911_235451877.jpg 

@darlicious 

I say you are running even now. Your first purchase of the Indian cuisine more than made up for this one. Did you end up eating the scones and wrap?

Just like the thread title says......

$6?

IMG_20210911_182551893.jpg

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Korth 

They just need to have a big screen with Das Boot on replay. The director’s cut of course.

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I don't know if anyone's heard of a local gem. In Langley, BC there's a sandwich shop. An excellent sandwich shop. People converge on it from neighbouring cities. Huge killer U-Boat submarine sandwiches. Fresh and unusual ingredients. Never the same thing twice. Surprisingly affordable. And fast.

The man behind the counter simply makes random (good) sandwiches all day, whatever he feels like, and you get whatever sandwich he hands off to the cashier. Nobody complains because every item is a mighty meal (or two) and a real treat to eat.

He is called the "Sandwich Nazi". Yes, he fully emulates the Soup Nazi character from Seinfeld (in a sandwichy way instead of a soupy way, of course). And yes, his customers are also expected to fully emulate their counterparts from Seinfeld, unless they want him to angrily declare "no sub for you, get out!"

@darlicious 

I came upon this from a consumer point of view:

https://lovefoodhatewaste.ca

@Anonymous 

Next time you're in town maybe you should check out these ones.... I think I'm going to reserve that last one....they have the most beautiful macaroons in there.....

Screenshot_20210911-083315~2.pngScreenshot_20210911-083346~2.pngScreenshot_20210911-083438~2.pngScreenshot_20210911-083519~2.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nothing in my area on that app 😞

@JK8 

So far I'm pretty impressed. I'm tempted to check out what terra breads has to offer for $6.99. I think the Indian restaurant has set the bar pretty high.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious 

I went to their Reddit site. I like it! 

https://www.reddit.com/r/toogoodtogo/

@darlicious 

That is a great find and deal! 

I haven’t heard of this business model until your post. Very interesting. I’m going to google this right now. 👍

@JK8 

So I downloaded a new app today to see what it was all about....TooGoodToGo essentially it's a little like flashfood except it deals with restaurants, bakeries, coffee shops and smaller grocers. Depending on the business they offer a surprise bag of goods at the start or end of their business day that would normally be thrown out. This peaked my interest knowing what often gets tossed out by restaurants, hotels, caterers etc....that cannot be donated due to health regulations.

Ranging between $5 and $7 these surprise bags are listed to have a normal retail value of $15 to $21. I didn't feel like cooking and Cilantro a new Indian restaurant a few blocks away was listed with 1 surprise bag left with a 10:30 to 11pm pick up time. Price $6. So I thought why not? I'll give it go....hopped on the e-bike and whipped down to pick it up. Friendly guy had an order of food already to go when I arrived. I swiped the app to say the pick up occurred and hopped back on the e-bike and I was home 5 minutes later.

I didn't know what to expect but figured some basmati rice, naan bread, a curry and some kind of veggie side dish? Well a surprise bag indeed....this is what I received and price listed in the take out menu that was included in the bag.  

1. Crispy Fried Calamari................$12
  2. Vegetable Pakora......................$8
  3. Chicken Pakora.........................$11
  4. Butter Chicken..........................$15
  5. Garlic and Basil Naan...............$4
  6. Total..........................................$50

This "surprise bag" had surprisingly generous portions that also came with 3 dipping sauces but alas no basmati rice the one thing I thought would be a given! That's ok I will make some tomorrow to go with the butter chicken that I didn't even open the container because there was so much food!! All for $6!! I think I will be using this app a lot after surgery and send the bf out on pick up duty. When it comes to this app it is TooGoodToGo and uninstall...its a keeper!🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Korth wrote:

@CFPartDeux wrote:SignsTinfoilHat.JPG

If (when!) I finally get around to making my proper tinfoil hat, I think I'm gonna go with the time-tested, proven, functional, and (in my opinion) the most highly stylish design.

Ah, so you ARE going with the one in the pic above, that I provided so you could easily duplicate it!!! 🤣

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

@CFPartDeux 

Did you just bravo my post just now or am I getting double notifications of bravos with one delayed about 6 hours?

Uhm..... given that, at the time of me replying, your question was posed sometime yesterday, I can't say for sure that I bravo'd it "just now", BUT I can say that I bravo'd it long after you posted it, and I replied to it..... assuming we're talking about the same post..... 🤔

@CFPartDeux wrote:SignsTinfoilHat.JPG

Not too shabby. I'm pretty sure this design would work against microwave mind control and psychotronic rays - that'll keep all the gear in those black helicopters and unmarked surveillance vans fooled, ha! - but I'm not confident it would have much value against alien telepathy. Classic noob mistake. And you can't be too careful, y'know, the Flying Spaghetti Monster is out there.

If (when!) I finally get around to making my proper tinfoil hat, I think I'm gonna go with the time-tested, proven, functional, and (in my opinion) the most highly stylish design.

Tinfoil hat ftw!Tinfoil hat ftw!

@CFPartDeux 

Did you just bravo my post just now or am I getting double notifications of bravos with one delayed about 6 hours?

CFPartDeux

@darlicious wrote:

Telus had set up an email for me that I didn't really know about and at one point during a billing issue they said we've been emailing you.....and that's how I discovered it.

Yeah, IIRC, if you don't request a particular email address, they simply create one for you, by default, using the name on your account?

That friend who first set up my email had a top of the line tinfoil hat

You mean like this..... 😁

SignsTinfoilHat.JPG

so had warned me to never have an email with a provider as they basically own your email so it makes difficult to leave the provider if you are beholden to your email much like your telephone number used to be.....before number portability became mandated.

Yeah, that's the trouble - the wife has used that email address as her contact for EVERYTHING, such that it would be kind of a pain-in-the-butt to switch it all. I've done almost the same, but look at $30+/month savings as decent enough incentive to put up with said pain-in-the-butt. I'd probably switch my contacts to one of the generic(non-ISP provided) email addresses I have, and so could she, but simply doesn't want the hassle involved. 🙄

@Anonymous 

Check your email....

....hahaha!!!!!😉😅😂🤣

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is a lol! 🙂 Obviously I meant my real name.

@Anonymous 

Found you!

Lol....😃!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I dropped off the internet around year 2000 or so. I've used pseudonyms since. There are very few places I'm mentioned.

@CFPartDeux 

I never relied on email but finally had a friend create one for me from Yahoo in 2008 for something I wanted to do but you had to have an email. I had under 100 emails until my bank got their hands on my email and added to my account without my knowledge and only found out about it after my purse was stolen in 2019 and I started to get notifications that someone was trying to sign into my yahoo account.

Telus had set up an email for me that I didn't really know about and at one point during a billing issue they said we've been emailing you.....and that's how I discovered it. I told them to delete it because I didn't know the address or password and have never seen it so as far as I was concerned it didn't exist and anything sent to it was null and void.

That friend who first set up my email had a top of the line tinfoil hat so had warned me to never have an email with a provider as they basically own your email so it makes difficult to leave the provider if you are beholden to your email much like your telephone number used to be.....before number portability became mandated.

Even still I only created my gmail account about a year ago preferring to use my dearly departed's account.....same goes for the one social media account I have. If you know me well enough you can find me if you don't then searching my name will get you absolutely nothing. I had an investigator once ask me why they couldn't find any info about me online and I just said "because I haven't done anything wrong!"

CFPartDeux

@darlicious  Well, Shaw does exactly the same thing, i.e. give out semi-decent deals to "new" customers, while charging long time customers ever increasing prices for the same thing! 😠  If the wife wasn't SO adamant that she has to have her Shaw email address 🙄, I would've switched to a third party provider(where we'd get WAY more speed, for WAY less money) LONG AGO!

Need Help? Let's chat.