cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1500 Club

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

It's official as predicted......the record breaking streak continues.Screenshot_20200212-173253.png

20 REPLIES 20

@will13am wrote:

Back in the day, there were far less of the multi page threads.  There were much threads and far less high achievers in the community forum.  A new thread could go half hour before a first responder arrives on the scene.

Well, how much of that is attributable to a lot more people on PM, and potentially a lot more people hangin' out here? I have no idea what those numbers might be, but it only makes sense that the numbers have gone up.

Now, it seems like the first response arrives before the incident.

LOL, while just a slight exxageration, I know what you mean - there I am, looking over the new topics, see something that nobody has responded to, so I figure it's something I can answer, so I start typing away, and maybe lookin' for an appropriate link I've saved, for just such an occasion, and by the time I hit "Post", there's already 3 or 4 posts, all saying a similar version of what I've just said. That is precisely why I now open another tab on the same thread, and before I hit that post button, I refresh the thread to see if someone else has already posted the same info, and if so, I either alter mine to add some info that may have been missed, or I delete the whole thing and carry on elsewhere.

Crucially, it is almost seems obligatory to push a thread to page 3.  If I were the OP, I would be overwhelmed by excessive responses. 

Yup, there's some threads that I read, and have participated in, that I wonder if the OP is sitting there stunned by the massive amount of text, with various suggestions, that he or she now has to sift through. OTOH, there are times that the discussion in those threads manages to sift itself, i.e. some errors in the advice are found by someone else, or the questions manage to get the OP to divulge more helpful info about their various service issues.

With respect to repeats, sometimes they are through no fault of the responders.  Many may be putting together a response at the same time.  Some might be doing it on a keyboard typing 80 wpm while others might tapping away on their portable device with one digit.  So when mulitple responses appear within a small time window, they could be considered as "one response".  It is the spurious ones that appear the next day that boggles the mind. 

I hear ya - I've seen numerous replies, MUCH later, that add nothing, so I'm left wondering why it was even added.

On issuing bravos, the ratio of bravo to posts is much, much higher today.  Some members seem to have a feeling of obligation to acknowledge each and every post.

Yeah, kinda what I said in my 12 cent post.

@CannonFodder wrote:

Wow, I missed out reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, particularly from our resident Oracles, and TBH, I can somewhat agree with what's been said by many folks here.

Here's my 2 cents on the bravos:

While I have tossed many bravos on frivolous stuff, and received many for the same kind of thing, since @ShawnC13  tossed many of those posts down here into the "dark abysss" that is the Lounge 😜 , and mentioned why, I can understand that, and accept it.

As for bravos on regular threads, although I've only been around here for a relatively short time, I have noticed that there are a LOT of bravos that have been tossed on posts that really shouldn't have received any.

Personally, when I sign in here, I usually read the notification feed, and go to whichever threads are mentioned, to refresh my memory on what's transpired, and to see what I may have posted, that someone felt compelled to toss a bravo on it. To be completely honest, there have been LOTS of bravos that I've received, that I've sat here thinking to myself, "WHY did that person bravo THAT!?", and at times, it's almost embarassing that I received bravos for certain posts.

I've also seen LOTS of threads that are chocked full of bravos on numerous posts, and MANY times those posts are nothing more than repeats of the posts further up the thread. Ok, there are many times that people are typing a reply, and by the time they hit the "Post" button, 3 or 4 others have already beaten them to it(it's happened to me LOTS of times), so we end up with too many repeats, and as far as I'm concerned, unless the repeat posts add some further pertinent info, they shouldn't really be receiving a bravo, but there are some folks here that hit that bravo button for darn near everything.

Personally, I have gone through threads, even just in the last couple of days, where there's several posts that are almost repeats, but several posts in a row have added some little nugget of info more to the thread, so I've bravo'd several posts in a row, because I thought they were deserviing. Conversely, I have gone through many threads and bravo'd the 1st relevant post with helpful info, and then picked through the other posts to bravo only those that added something to the thread, while skipping over posts that simply repeated everything already mentioned. That's the way I would hope that other people would treat my posts too, i.e. if my post adds something to the thread, then go ahead and bravo it, but if I've done nothing more than repeat what's already been said, go ahead and DO NOT bravo it.

As for this, @Jb456 , "But now it feels like i shouldn't post anymore cause imaybe long term people are upset.", as far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't even think that way, because a LOT of your posts, from what I can tell, are helpful around here(not JUST for the person with the problem), and as you said, "are detailed, provide pictures", and as the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words"!

Anyway, I guess that was more like 12 cents, rather than just 2.....

This is a good retrospective.  I like it and agree with a lot of it. 

Back in the day, there were far less of the multi page threads.  There were much threads and far less high achievers in the community forum.  A new thread could go half hour before a first responder arrives on the scene.  Now, it seems like the first response arrives before the incident.  Crucially, it is almost seems obligatory to push a thread to page 3.  If I were the OP, I would be overwhelmed by excessive responses. 

With respect to repeats, sometimes they are through no fault of the responders.  Many may be putting together a response at the same time.  Some might be doing it on a keyboard typing 80 wpm while others might tapping away on their portable device with one digit.  So when mulitple responses appear within a small time window, they could be considered as "one response".  It is the spurious ones that appear the next day that boggles the mind. 

On issuing bravos, the ratio of bravo to posts is much, much higher today.  Some members seem to have a feeling of obligation to acknowledge each and every post.  Honestly, I see no right or wrong in this.  The issuance of bravos is not something that lends itself to strict rules and code of conduct.  While we all have our own individual value system, we should not impose our will on something that is of negligible impact.  Treat it with an appropriate level of seriousness.  Don't try to make sense of the minutiae. 

@CannonFodder  How about 2 nickels and 2 cents worth. Nice opinion piece. As the publisher of this thread im impressed with the darliciousness length and judicious use of paragraphs. You might make it in this business.

Wow, I missed out reading some of the earlier posts in this thread, particularly from our resident Oracles, and TBH, I can somewhat agree with what's been said by many folks here.

Here's my 2 cents on the bravos:

While I have tossed many bravos on frivolous stuff, and received many for the same kind of thing, since @ShawnC13  tossed many of those posts down here into the "dark abysss" that is the Lounge 😜 , and mentioned why, I can understand that, and accept it.

As for bravos on regular threads, although I've only been around here for a relatively short time, I have noticed that there are a LOT of bravos that have been tossed on posts that really shouldn't have received any.

Personally, when I sign in here, I usually read the notification feed, and go to whichever threads are mentioned, to refresh my memory on what's transpired, and to see what I may have posted, that someone felt compelled to toss a bravo on it. To be completely honest, there have been LOTS of bravos that I've received, that I've sat here thinking to myself, "WHY did that person bravo THAT!?", and at times, it's almost embarassing that I received bravos for certain posts.

I've also seen LOTS of threads that are chocked full of bravos on numerous posts, and MANY times those posts are nothing more than repeats of the posts further up the thread. Ok, there are many times that people are typing a reply, and by the time they hit the "Post" button, 3 or 4 others have already beaten them to it(it's happened to me LOTS of times), so we end up with too many repeats, and as far as I'm concerned, unless the repeat posts add some further pertinent info, they shouldn't really be receiving a bravo, but there are some folks here that hit that bravo button for darn near everything.

Personally, I have gone through threads, even just in the last couple of days, where there's several posts that are almost repeats, but several posts in a row have added some little nugget of info more to the thread, so I've bravo'd several posts in a row, because I thought they were deserviing. Conversely, I have gone through many threads and bravo'd the 1st relevant post with helpful info, and then picked through the other posts to bravo only those that added something to the thread, while skipping over posts that simply repeated everything already mentioned. That's the way I would hope that other people would treat my posts too, i.e. if my post adds something to the thread, then go ahead and bravo it, but if I've done nothing more than repeat what's already been said, go ahead and DO NOT bravo it.

As for this, @Jb456 , "But now it feels like i shouldn't post anymore cause imaybe long term people are upset.", as far as I'm concerned, you shouldn't even think that way, because a LOT of your posts, from what I can tell, are helpful around here(not JUST for the person with the problem), and as you said, "are detailed, provide pictures", and as the saying goes, "a picture is worth a thousand words"!

Anyway, I guess that was more like 12 cents, rather than just 2.....

@ShawnC13  The "core of the community" being the reward and badge recipients and more specifically the top 25%, 10%, 5%, 1% and the oracles as they help with 95% of the community members posting questions seeking help. The membership of the community is large the participants giving of their time to help averages out to maybe 125 members each month earning rewards. The "core" of the community.

@darlicious wrote:

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious  Looks like I've created a monster, i.e. a font colouring monster! 🤣 

@CannonFodder  Now you know why I asked the question!

That just might be worse than an emoji usin' monster, depending on whether or not those posts all start lookin' like rainbows.

@CannonFodder wrote:

@darlicious  Looks like I've created a monster, i.e. a font colouring monster! 🤣 

@CannonFodder  Now you know why I asked the question!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! So there is now a club.

Congrats gblackma and Jb456.

Incredible.

I've only been here coming up on 2 years. I went a little overboard with it all. Then pulled back quite a bit. But if you're willing to sit there for endless hours refreshing your browser day in and day out and be first in with the reply...then all the best to you. Don't worry about the old timers.

I would agree with some of the quality comments but the results speak for themselves.

Congrats.

@will13am  @ShawnC13 

Oh boy do I ever regret not doing a minor edit to my post. I had reread it after I posted noticing that three words didn't flow the way I was thinking they did as I typed. But I hadn't slept well and had more poking and prodding by health professionals today so I just left it as I had to get going to the first bloodletting of the day.....

Three little words that changed the entire context of not only the sentence but basically my entire post. These three words: "do this...or" will be edited in my original post to: "come to" to hopefully convey my original intent. "We chase those helping others endorphins." To deny this is to live in denial. Those of us who help others do it because we enjoy it. We feel good about ourselves. Those are endorphins and like it or not we get a little high off that. It's wired in the chemistry of our brain.

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  @ShawnC13 

As entertaining and amazing as this bravo run has been.....like rewards, badges or bravos this will be an anecdote in the community's history. We all know the vast majority of regulars here on the community do this....or spend time here primarily to help people. We chase those helping others endorphins. Plain and simple. Other members get satisfaction from the competitive spirit, goal setting or the accumulation of bravos. It's the same as likes on facebook or instagram. Its 21st century human behavior. As long as the core of the community is giving quality help to others then these brief distractions are just part of the community. How many posts have had to be moved to the lounge since record breaking week started? Its the bravo olympics a once or twice in a lifetime event on homeground. Here for a short time only....17 to 19 days max and things will go back to normal.

Either that or I'll start posting like a normal person......yikes you want to see a post count record broken in an exceptionally short amount of time!  Watch out because a month from now I won't be moving further than a 10 foot radius of my bed. That's a lot of time on ones hands! That and burn out should corral the boys back to normality.

Hopefully this is all the explaining needed......darlicious.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Anyone know what this does exactly?

Screenshot_20200213_184450.jpg

@ShawnC13  I was not going to post on this thread but after reading your post just now.I am slightly confused.

I could care less about bavros. I just like to help others and I think I'm doing a pretty good job. My posts are detailed, provide pictures, heck I even follow up on posts the next day to see if they were able to resolve the problem.

Now from what I get from this thread is some are not happy with the Bravo's (saying inflated) that they are just doing a post to get more Bravo's. They should be thinking of the customer first and giving correct responses not just post for Bravo's. I feel that my posts are helpful. I got around 110 marked as solutions in 3 or so weeks. So I have to be doing something right?

But now it feels like i shouldn't post anymore cause imaybe

long term people are upset.

Now I just hit 1500 mark. Again I couldn't care. However it is still something to be proud about in away. 

So maybe you Oracles can just ask PM to hide the bravo section? Where only PM can see for community rewards? Would that fix the issue?

Screenshot_20200213_182234.jpg

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  @ShawnC13 

As entertaining and amazing as this bravo run has been.....like rewards, badges or bravos this will be an anecdote in the community's history. We all know the vast majority of regulars here on the community do this....or spend time here primarily to help people. We chase those helping others endorphins. Plain and simple. Other members get satisfaction from the competitive spirit, goal setting or the accumulation of bravos. It's the same as likes on facebook or instagram. Its 21st century human behavior. As long as the core of the community is giving quality help to others then these brief distractions are just part of the community. How many posts have had to be moved to the lounge since record breaking week started? Its the bravo olympics a once or twice in a lifetime event on homeground. Here for a short time only....17 to 19 days max and things will go back to normal.

Either that or I'll start posting like a normal person......yikes you want to see a post count record broken in an exceptionally short amount of time!  Watch out because a month from now I won't be moving further than a 10 foot radius of my bed. That's a lot of time on ones hands! That and burn out should corral the boys back to normality.

The vast majority of "regulars" are doing what just bravoing every post?  I will tell you that I have heard from a few LONG time regulars who are totally turned off with this and are cutting back on their activity because of what they are seeing going back and forth.  As well this is a customer service community (yes I know some socializing will happen) so it should be just a core group of community members it should be all community members helping out.

New members will come in here and see these HUGELY INFLATED numbers and think why even bother trying to help the threads are on a second page within minutes and the leaderboard numbers are intimidating. The 1200 and 1300 were ok but 1400 and 1500 I think have become meaningless.  You said gblackma is due to hit 1600 today like it is a guaranteed thing.  I hope you are right that it returns to normal very quickly I am afraid we are going to lose the really long time regulars and miss out on some new one because they are turned off on what they are seeing

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am  @ShawnC13 

Sorry to say but posts like do what that other member said in their post or thank you for marking my post as the solution is pure thread crapping and not helpful by any measure.  Those who rank as mayor know how the activity levels (thread count) has dropped off significantly in the community forum.  When you see new records being set in spite of this, the records are obviously hollow at the core.  Z10 can attest to this when he was first to set the 1200 bravo count record.  He was constrained from going any higher because there was not enough activity to support the next milestone.  The only endorphins at play are the "self serving" variety.

Any record setting in recent times are purely for personal pursuits and not philanthropic.  Kind of like wetting yourself in a dark outfit and getting that warm feeling.  The community is pretending to notice at least in my books anyway.  On that note, game on campers.  

@will13am  @ShawnC13 

As entertaining and amazing as this bravo run has been.....like rewards, badges or bravos this will be an anecdote in the community's history. We all know the vast majority of regulars here on the community come to spend time here primarily to help people. We chase those helping others endorphins. Plain and simple. Other members get satisfaction from the competitive spirit, goal setting or the accumulation of bravos. It's the same as likes on facebook or instagram. Its 21st century human behavior. As long as the core of the community is giving quality help to others then these brief distractions are just part of the community. How many posts have had to be moved to the lounge since record breaking week started? Its the bravo olympics a once or twice in a lifetime event on homeground. Here for a short time only....17 to 19 days max and things will go back to normal.

Edited original post: Explanation later in thread. Thx darlicious

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Crazy amount of bravos.  Congrats that is a ton of time here.  My concern now is the general public just wants to see how high it can go and are giving bravos to any post even if the post is incorrect or doesn't provide any quality information.  Please don't take this as taking anything away from the time these members are putting in here and helping but we need to remember the quality of the post matters.  What I see is the value or appreciation of Bravos decreasing and get tossed around too easily.

Too bad respect and admiration are not growing proportionally to the pace of record setting.  

Geez, u mean we're gonna get "gblackma'd" two days in a row!?!?

@Anonymous   Well @gblackma is due to hit 1600 tomorrow.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not quite a club yet but Jb456 is hot on the trail. He would be if both French and English were combined...which they really oughta be. But certainly incredible of gblackma to have reached yet another milestone. Or is that kilometrestone. 🙂

Congrats gblackma.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Crazy amount of bravos.  Congrats that is a ton of time here.  My concern now is the general public just wants to see how high it can go and are giving bravos to any post even if the post is incorrect or doesn't provide any quality information.  Please don't take this as taking anything away from the time these members are putting in here and helping but we need to remember the quality of the post matters.  What I see is the value or appreciation of Bravos decreasing and get tossed around too easily.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.