cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

๐—”๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐˜„๐—ฒ ๐—ฎ๐—น๐—น ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜€๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ฐ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ž๐—ผ๐—ผ๐—ฑ๐—ผ?

DDM69
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was told by a Koodo rep today that all Public customers will be switched over to Koodo in the near future. 
Is this true?  Does anyone have any details?

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@brettster99 wrote:

From what I saw at vrigin today it might actually be true

How does the link you provided made you think "might actually be true"?  Virgin is Tier 2 , they removed 3G plan, isn't that give room for Lucky to expand its user base?  if so, isn't that actually prove the needs to keep PM alive?

The burden of proof rests on you, not me. The burden of production. The burden of persuasion.

Your premise is that Public Mobile is in danger of being dissolved. I see no evidence of this. You're the one who's arguing towards "unsubstantiated, unconfirmed, unauthorized rumour" (to paraphrase the words of an entirely scrupulous, trustworthy, honest sales rep who doesn't get paid to sell Public Mobile and who has privileged access to confidential information other Telus employees don't know). So where's any specific evidence, examples, or proofs which support this wild claim?

I've already said that what the other carriers do (or do not) is entirely irrelevant. Promos come and go, points and rewards and perks and systems come and go, plans come and go - sometimes the brands respond to each other and sometimes they don't. You might indeed see a better plan being offered right now somewhere else. If you think this means Public Mobile is in danger then by all means go get that better plan somewhere else while you can. I'll stick around though, since I see no evidence at all that Public Mobile is going to disappear anytime soon. I only see anecdotal, vague, angry, panicked generalities without useful meaning or context - which could be (mis)interpreted any number of ways to mean any number of unrelated things - I don't see any specific evidences which name Public Mobile and which imply any real threat to its continued existence.

brettster99

I would like to see that evidence then. Because everytime one of them changes others change as well. EVERY SINGLE TIME. Provincial wide calling being one. Yes it lasted a short amount of time but I SAW PLANS AT OTHER CARRIERS SAYING PROVINCIAL WIDE. When public mobile introduced it. Rewards being switched to Points is following FIZZ new rewards program (that they never had a rewards program before) that has devalued the rewards. 

Virgin, Lucky, and Bell are not Koodo, Public, and Telus. With or without their Canada-wide network sharing agreement.

Each of them has restructured offerings in the past before without impacting the offerings from other carriers.

This whole topic is going to take more than "unsubstantiated, unconfirmed, unauthorized rumour" for me to consider it seriously. Real links to real evidence which directly mention Koodo Mobile and Public Mobile. What the other brands do (or do not) is entirely irrelevant.

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

A rep at Koodo is likely working for a franchise and is on commission and might say any thing to gain you as a Koodo customer. More so if you went into a Koodo store and mentioned your interest in PM. And I doubt if Telus would confide this with a franchise owner. 

brettster99

From what I saw at vrigin today it might actually be true

Korth
Mayor / Maire

I doubt it would happen. PM and Telus have invested a lot into the brand and secured a lot of "loyal" subscribers over the years.

Past PM-to-Koodo migration efforts resulted in disenfranchised customers who left Telus and who intend to never return. Some of these efforts were heavyhanded blunders, some were handled delicately, some were simple bribes, the results were always the same - angry, unhappy people left and refused to come back (or at least wouldn't come back after finding out they'd have to start at PM from nothing all over again).

The Canadian wireless market is basically saturated - basically every Canadian who could have a cellphone already has a cellphone - so the carriers can't really attract new subscribers, they can only steal subscribers from each other. All this means the last thing Telus would ever want to do is cast their hard-won PM subscribers into the free market - and they certainly don't want to tarnish consumer perception of their own brand(s) - some consumer wallets might drift back into Telus subsidiaries but many would instead stubbornly align with one of the "competing" carriers.

And I doubt a random Koodo rep - a SALES rep, lol - would be privy to such big news, such important and sensitive information when, evidently, no other Telus employees or marketing statements or corporate hype have ever commented on it.

A Koodo rep likely gets paid more for signing up Koodo customers than for signing up non-Koodo customers, of course. I'm not actually accusing the rep of being an unethical, unscrupulous, opportunistic, manipulative liar to your face. I'm just pointing out a fact.

"unsubstantiated/unconfirmed rumor that no Telus employee would be authorized to comment about"

Exactly. An overhyped line which reads like a tabloid headline or a Youtube clickbait.

Unsubstantiated = unsupported by evidence, lacking any real substance

Unconfirmed = impossible to confirm, prove, or disprove

Rumor = speculation or gossip

Unauthorized = not the way corporate dinosaurs like Telus operate - they don't "unauthorize" their staff, they "uninform" them. When you tell your people not to reveal secret information then somebody always will. But when your people don't know any secret information then it's impossible for any of them to reveal any secret information.

fxes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I doubt that will happen. Why? Telus is the parent company of both koodo and public mobile. Telus in itself tries to attract a consumer base with a larger budget constraint and a faster network, possibly better credit rating. But if they start coming up with a cheaper plans it might cause confusion amongst the Telus consumer base. While people with smaller budget constraints will not be interested because of the price factors. Some people might not even need it. So comes with a solution with koodo which attracts a younger crowd such as university students. Then comes public mobile for people who needs to keep a number with low usage or cell phone starters such as young adults. in short the three brands are competing in different segments of the market. Company such as Procter and gamble does the same thing. The whole cleaning aisle is filled with their products competing against each other. But going back to telus the parent company does not care which product are you using as long as you are using their product. Looking at the fact that koodo and public mobile are competing in a similar market there are some factors that might entice them to merge the company. Even though they are similar they attract different consumer base. What entice them to do it might be to lower costs within the telus company as a whole. This might result in higher net earnings for the company thus higher EPS (earning per share) thus higher free cash-flow and thus higher share-price. It is a bit out there though. But given the condition of the economy and slow growth. This might entice them to do it. I don't know anything. The idea is "out there" but not crazy to think about it.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DDM69 wrote:

I was told by a Koodo rep today that all Public customers will be switched over to Koodo in the near future. 
Is this true?  Does anyone have any details?

Thanks

@DDM69   Maybe it was just the Koodo rep's own wishful thinking?  He would like everyone here to use his service to convert and earn commission?  LoL

and the Koodo rep contradict with what said in this post:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/The-Lounge/Telus-changes-with-Koodo-Prepaid-and-Publi...

The OP in that post seems to be  an insider, too with knowledge of the upcoming Telus strategy

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@DDM69 Who knows until an official statement or announcement is made.

Things will be a changin' in some ways in the years to come with 3g and all that other stuff, you know...

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Letโ€™s hope not. 

Look at the structure of the add ons. 

Look at the texting. 

NO THANKS. 

MrSpock

@DDM69 It is a rumour always a possibility I am sure some in the telus family would like that to happen it won't be the near future though ๐Ÿค” 

Need Help? Let's chat.