cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card swap

glen3125
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I get message on self-serve site:

"Unfortunately, SIM card changes are currently unavailable through Self-serve."I

My cell phone no longer works -  just want to put  a new SIM card into my phone so that I can receive a message from Public Mobile regarding transferring to another carrier.

58 REPLIES 58

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gregleblanc : You need to contact the moderators to do that. Don't use the term "activate" in this context. Click on the cartoon quote bubble lower right and muddle your way through the stupid chatbot to find a Submit Ticket.

Why are you needing a new card anyway? If it's just a new phone then just move the SIM from one phone to another. Different size? They come in three sizes. You can carefully snap the smaller size from the larger size.

Gregleblanc
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

How do I activate a new card to my plan?!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glen3125 wrote:

None of the answers here were the solution. I managed to get my cell phone working only when the manager at London Drugs (where I first got Public Mobile) relented and phoned for help. He is generally not allowed to phone for help unless it is help with an activation.

Oh oh now he's in trouble 🙂 Hopefully this is still the transitional period where some people were affected before they removed the ability. But we haven't heard of many new ones with at all the frequency we were before.

glen3125

None of the answers here were the solution. I managed to get my cell phone working only when the manager at London Drugs (where I first got Public Mobile) relented and phoned for help. He is generally not allowed to phone for help unless it is help with an activation.

[Yep, prove you are you at a PM "store" is the new deal .......... Luddite]

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous The OP was trying to port number out, so I assume that @dawniecrocker is trying to do the same.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RosieR , @LEGO : But is it a code for transferring? Is it one of those verification codes like Google and others? Or just a yes/no confirmation? 

@dawniecrocker wrote:

I just received a code from public mobile with a code to use to swap sim cards and I have no idea where to put the code in?  Is anyone else having this issue? 

Hi @dawniecrocker what is your issue?  

1.  You want to change your sim card

2.  You have been sim jacked

Usually a code is sent to the customer to validate a transfer of number.  Is this your case?

This is also new to us.  Please give us more information so we can help you better.

RosieR

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@dawniecrocker You should give this code to your new mobile carrier to complete your number port out of Public Mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dawniecrocker : Would you be willing to post screenshots of what all you got and how. Email, text, vmail? Blank out personal info and the code of course.

Maybe the Oracles have been apprised of whatever this method is.

@dawniecrocker wrote:

I just received a code from public mobile with a code to use to swap sim cards and I have no idea where to put the code in?  Is anyone else having this issue? 

Did you get a replacement sim and you're trying to activate it ?

dawniecrocker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@glen3125 wrote:

I was getting the message "unregistered SIM", so bought another SIM and successfully used the change SIM function. A month later I got the same message. I'm just trying to get this phone working so I can transfer to another carrier. It seems to be a catch-22 that I can not transfer unless my phone can receive a message where I can authorize the transfer. HELP!

Hi @glen3125 sorry to hear that you are having some issues.  There could be other problems that's why you were receiving "unregistered SIM".. one of which was you got sim jacked, and changing the sim card did not solve the problem.  And that is why same problem occurred.  I believe that your only option is to contact the Moderator_Team. 

Two ways to contact the moderators:

• Slower way – Send a private message to the Moderators_Team here.  You have to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work. 

If you already got a ticket to contact the moderators, that is good.  Expect a moderator's reply within 48 hrs (much faster these days).  keep an eye on the envelope icon on top right for a number to pop up... that would be the moderator's reply.

Sorry to see you go but we wish you well

RosieR

I doubt it's up to the new provider.

Old provider will refuse to release number if it's inactive.

The reason it goes between Telus Koodo and Publicmobile is that it's in-house so it's a good will for staying customer

Anonymous
Not applicable

With the old SmartHub service I used to have, I ported out the number attached to it that then closed that service. Of course it couldn't do SMS in or out. This was Telus to PM. But a cell phone can. I'm not sure there are any prepaid providers that allow port-outs on a suspended account. So yes one would need to pay to exit. So pay, use the service for 25 odd days and port out. One can always take advantage of offers elsewhere and then port in later.

@kselmak wrote:

I believe you don't need to receive sms, just talk to moderators so they will lift port block and if your account it's active it should transfer.

I'm sure they can, @kselmak .

However, if the OP's account is 'inactive', shouldn't PM still be able to release the port request without the OP having to pay monies to make their account 'active' again?  I know I wouldn't be agreeing to place any more monies on the account if I were in their shoes.   It's like paying a cover charge to get OUT, not in.     

I believe you don't need to receive sms, just talk to moderators so they will lift port block and if your account it's active it should transfer.

@glen3125 wrote:

I was getting the message "unregistered SIM", so bought another SIM and successfully used the change SIM function. A month later I got the same message. I'm just trying to get this phone working so I can transfer to another carrier. It seems to be a catch-22 that I can not transfer unless my phone can receive a message where I can authorize the transfer. HELP!

@glen3125   What you're describing is something you SHOULDN'T have to purchase your way out of.

I would think twice about placing any funds on your Public Mobile account to enable "active" status just so that you can port out a day later.    If the Moderators give you no other option, then maybe try to at least get a 'goodwill credit' of some sort towards the reactivation cost due to your SIM troubles.

Porting out should not be this difficult so long as Public Mobile can ascertain that you are the customer of record who held the Public Mobile account and the registered phone number.

Good luck!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glen3125 wrote:

611 call gives me a message "unregistered SIM"

Hmm. Sounds troubling. Can you try the SIM in another phone? Go around to all your financial logins to make sure you're not missing anything and maybe even change passwords. Also your email account that you use here. Change its password.

glen3125

611 call gives me a message "unregistered SIM"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glen3125 : I wonder if you might be having other issues with your account. Maybe hackers. Change your password. What is the account status?

You shouldn't be having to change SIM every time there's a problem with the service. There's either a phone problem or a hacker. Or you're extremely unlucky 🙂

It's only a catch-22 because accounts need to be active to port out.

Edit: You need to muddle your way through that stupid chatbot to get to a choice of Submit ticket.

Are you intending to port to Telus or Koodo?

glen3125

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glen3125 : Autopay sometimes fails. But your account needs to be active to port out. Or maybe not if you're porting out to Telus or Koodo. Did you try calling 611? That can also tell you what your account status is.

glen3125

I did that, and didn't get anywhere.

@Anonymous wrote:

Indeed. But they coulda made it clickable 🙄

Wondered the same, will report to them. 

glen3125

My account was set up with automatic top-up via my credit card - so paying more now should not be the solution. I showed my account to the person who set me up with Public Mobile and he said it didn't look like money was the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Indeed. But they coulda made it clickable 🙄

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@glen3125 As of today, they are temporarily removing sim card swap function from self-serve as they are looking into fixing sim card swap frauds happening lately. For now, please reach out to the moderator team to get that request done. 

"Unfortunately, SIM card changes are currently unavailable through Self-serve. To change your SIM card, please reach out to us at publicmobile.ca/chatbot and type SIM card swap."

Anonymous
Not applicable

@glen3125 : hmmm indeed something's up.

But what happens when you dial 611? If your account is suspended then you can reactivate it by paying. Since you can log in it would seem you're just suspended. So pay what you need to reactivate your account. Then you can port out. Likely, you could port to Telus or Koodo with a suspended account but not elsewhere.

Need Help? Let's chat.