cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reward dollars bounce back and forth($1 difference)

yackinlyn
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi, I have two accounts, both received multiple cha-ching messages lately.

weird thing is the rewards dollars changing from day to day, sometimes $5, and sometimes $6. also $6 dollars shown but only 5 referred numbers shown. LOL. same happens to another account.

do we have fake cha-ching lately?

27 REPLIES 27

@mandybains777 wrote:

Sometime people don’t pay for their bill so you don’t get reward for that referral but once they pay you start to get $1 so that’s why it bounce up and down  

It's true that a referred friend who is suspension will result in the referral receiving a lower reward. However, in this case, members are likley talking about "ghost" referrals. 

mandybains777
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Sometime people don’t pay for their bill so you don’t get reward for that referral but once they pay you start to get $1 so that’s why it bounce up and down  

smp99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was actually up by $4 through this 'bug' as of yesterday. My plan renews tonight. Yeah. But I checked this morning and it is back to normal. Still yeah i guess. What other provider would give me money each month. 

Hmmmmm,   I just got a referral and shows on my account. But no text yet. Odd???

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

I honestly would not care about NOT receiving the Cha Ching text. I know when I have referred some one and I know where to look if the reward doesn't show up. Not a big deal for me.

Agreed.

Correct text notifications, incorrect text notifications, or lack of text notifications is inconsequential.

The thing that actually matters is how many Rewards are applied to your Self-Serve balance.

I honestly would not care about NOT receiving the Cha Ching text. I know when I have referred some one and I know where to look if the reward doesn't show up. Not a big deal for me.

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 

I think you should re think the total disagree to a compromise. All we here, in the community, are well informed. And the text nayers make a personal choice to allow the texts to “bother” them. PM makes the effort to inform their customers as a good measure and position themselves to not be criticized for not warning of payment due and payment completed. And how many customers are not in the community.....not informed.....and disgruntled from the phantom referral texts and will consider leaving. So as a compromise perhaps an additional information text about phantom referral texts could be sent at your payment is due text time. 

I am not against a message about apologizing and informing customers that there is an issue. I am only saying that should only be a one-time message. 

@computergeek541 

Vivian_Y asked for a few DM’s to her with account numbers that this is happening to so I complied.

AE_Collector

@computergeek541 

I think you should re think the total disagree to a compromise. All we here, in the community, are well informed. And the text nayers make a personal choice to allow the texts to “bother” them. PM makes the effort to inform their customers as a good measure and position themselves to not be criticized for not warning of payment due and payment completed. And how many customers are not in the community.....not informed.....and disgruntled from the phantom referral texts and will consider leaving. So as a compromise perhaps an additional information text about phantom referral texts could be sent at your payment is due text time. 

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 

I guess patches are not the way to go but if we get a text for a phantom referral then when what ever (patch job run?) should also inform us by text that is was removed. Ie. date and time you received a phantom referral and we have corrected your account. We apologize for the inconvenience and rest assured we are working on correcting this.  

I disagree with you about that. I already believe that Public Mobile contacts customers too many times by text message unnecessarily. When it comes to these fake referrals, sending text messages advising them of the removed fake referrals will be more of an annoyance.

@computergeek541 

I guess patches are not the way to go but if we get a text for a phantom referral then when what ever (patch job run?) PM should also inform us by text that is was removed. Ie. date and time you received a phantom referral and we have corrected your account. We apologize for the inconvenience and rest assured we are working on correcting this.  

waternlava
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I thought I was getting free referrals 😞 I guess they're fake

@LurganIeUk wrote:

@computergeek541 Are you saying this has been happening to you well in the past?

I have been here just over a year and my wife’s account just a year and this last 2 weeks has been our first experience with this. Sometimes 2 a day, none a day, one a day etc. All phantom rewards show in $’s but no corresponding new phone number. 

Is this his going to be addressed as a fix? Is there any update from PM? Are my current referrals in jeopardy?

Thanks!

This problem has been going on literally for years. The "ghost" referral issue was never fixed to begin with. There isn't any reason from a customer standpoint that the system should not be programmed so that a referral's account coming out of suspension doesn't add a "ghost" referrral. The only reason that people didn't complain about this before was because the error was in the custoner's favor. The fix for this year made it so that the system is aware of such fake referrals and automatically removes them. 

I do not actually mind the the fake referrals are added to my account and then taken away, but Public Mobile should not be constantly sending people text messages about these, especially when the system is clearly aware that these are real referrals as is evident by the fact that they automatically get removed the next day.

@AE_Collector wrote:

Not too long after the house cleaning, maybe April or May I received a couple more ghost Cha-Chings but they were gone again the next day. It hadn’t happened again to me since then until this past Saturday when it started again with me receiving 2 or 3 more. Also this was the first time that my wife’s account received one or two ghost Cha-Chings. They continue to be purged automatically over night. I have already received another this morning. Though I did supply my account info to @Vivian_Y last night so they “could” be experimenting with my account now.

This isn't anything specific to your account. This issue is widespread and they would surely have their own test accounts.

I thought it very interesting that my second text for renewal (the one that indicates your rewards that were applied) was seemingly substituted with the Ch-Ching text this time. The reason everything else is duplicated is I have two accounts renewing on the same day.

AE_Collector

3E02790D-A1B6-456F-A002-CDFE0B2CF502.jpeg

Based on my old IT days I assume they know it is happening and my guess they are running a patch job, daily, to clear the phantoms.....but I assume some is looking for a needle in a hay stack setting. Like.....we bought a system to run our Distribution Center, sales etc. from our US operation and we had codes to prevent locations from having merchandise  picked from.....I chose a number we had never used before. Our pick tickets were expensive self adhesive forms that were side by side....that next morning, tickets only printed on one side. Our HQB top support were contacted early in the AM, before I arrived at work, and were baffled. I called and was convinced that my call on using that code number was the culprit and they weren’t convinced and kept working on the issue. I called again and pleaded my case....the only odd thing we did yesterday was use that code.....they listened and called the US and some one “remembered” that, that code caused the issue there. So the issue was resolved and the Canadian side of the business blocked that code from being used in the future. So I can see with out persistence, communication and documentation....this could be an easy fix but very hard to find the cause especially if it is not a brand new issue. 

We also need to look into how to get the term “Cha-Ching!” added to the Most popular New Words and Phrases dictionary for 2020.

AE_Collector

I have been here two years now. First time it happened to my account was middle of 2019, over 4 days I received 3 notifications and a total of $3 added to my referral total with no associated numbers. I wasn’t alone, like now, others reported this phenomena here on the community as well. Back then the ghost referrals stayed around on our accounts for something like 6-8 months until they did the big house cleaning of referrals early this year... March?

Not too long after the house cleaning, maybe April or May I received a couple more ghost Cha-Chings but they were gone again the next day. It hadn’t happened again to me since then until this past Saturday when it started again with me receiving 2 or 3 more. Also this was the first time that my wife’s account received one or two ghost Cha-Chings. They continue to be purged automatically over night. I have already received another this morning. Though I did supply my account info to @Vivian_Y last night so they “could” be experimenting with my account now.

All this is going on while I am expecting one or two new referrals to activate so I keep thinking “there it is” but in reality “there it ISN’T”!

AE_Collector

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Is this his going to be addressed as a fix? Is there any update from PM? Are my current referrals in jeopardy?

Thanks!

FYI

Public Mobile
Re: Cha-Ching text

Hi Community! 

Thanks for flagging this issue - we'll definitely look into it.

In the meantime, it'll be really helpful if you could DM me your account # so our technical teams can start working on the issue 

JK8_1-1606238407346.png

@computergeek541 Are you saying this has been happening to you well in the past?

I have been here just over a year and my wife’s account just a year and this last 2 weeks has been our first experience with this. Sometimes 2 a day, none a day, one a day etc. All phantom rewards show in $’s but no corresponding new phone number. 

Thanks!

@yackinlyn wrote:

weird thing is the rewards dollars changing from day to day, sometimes $5, and sometimes $6. also $6 dollars shown but only 5 referred numbers shown. LOL. same happens to another account.

I've been receiving them evey day since last week, but this isn't new. What is new is the frequency of it happening. The solution for now, as I see it, is for Public Mobile to stop sending these text messages to customers. I agree it may only be a minor annoyance, but when it's happening every day, even a minor annoyance isn't something that Public should want to send to customers.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@mh1983 wrote:

Bug or feature? 🙂 

According to software companies everything is a new feature! (and you can take that to the bank)

smp99

@mh1983 wrote:

@JoyLuck wrote:

@yackinlyn wrote:

Yes, phantom referrals. PM knows about it.

Bug or feature? 🙂 

Feature if your renewal occurs while they have bumped up your referrals. Bug if they have removed them before your renewal.

mh1983

@JoyLuck wrote:

@yackinlyn wrote:

Bug or feature? 🙂 

benfatto

@yackinlyn  Not fake. They do originate with PM even though incorrect. 🤣

Here is another topic about it. This phenomena comes and goes just like rewards $$!

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Rewards/Cha-Ching-text/td-p/617462

AE_Collector

JoyLuck
Mayor / Maire

@yackinlyn wrote:

Need Help? Let's chat.