cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port both out and then in

bmoore
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi all.  I have searched for an answer here but I don't know of an obvious way to do this.

I have an existing public mobile number and account that I want to port to another provider.  That part is easy.  However, I want to keep the plan and then port in another number from another provider.  If I request to port my existing number out, that will cancel the public mobile account from what I understand.  don't want to do that. Want to keep it and then port the other number in to replace this one.

Perhaps I am missing something obvious but there doesn't seem an easy to accomplish this task.

Would appreciate help!

22 REPLIES 22

Yes @darlicious 

Not impossible but lots of work if you are trying to catch it 30 days later on the same account that took hours toggling between two exchange. I actually did both, catching it with the new account even in the store is much easier, I was worried clerk will kill me

@Carniam wrote:

@will13am quick somewhat related question, can you apply a second port say a year after joining up?

You can apply a number change (including porting) to any account every 30 days.  No need to wait an entire year.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@bmoore  If the number you want to port out is a Telus number then it might be possible with the help of a moderator. 

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@will13am quick somewhat related question, can you apply a second port say a year after joining up?

@will13am 

You've called me on wishful thinking in the past....how did that work out? Do you recall? Does april 22nd - 23rd ring a bell? The power of positive change is an unstoppable force...... but if you need a visual clue as a reminder...giphy.gif 

However i do agree that although you cant win if you dont play....i stopped playing well over a decade ago when they doubled the price of lottery tickets and I now win 4 times a week to the tune of $50 or $2600 per year!

@darlicious wrote:

@will13am 

I only presented a possibility....a determined enough person will explore every possibility to see if the seemingly impossible task can be achieved. As shown by @kselmak There are ways to achieve something if you really want it. Have you not learned by now that positivity attracts positive results? Negativity and pessicism attract the same energy......if you prefer to have your glass half empty then to each their own. My glass is always half full!

Well the positivity you refer to or what I would call wishful thinking merely leads to disappointment.  You can't wish for something that isn't there.  A lot of people talk about this.  Have you seen anyone say hey I got it done and here is how to do it.  Don't get me wrong here, I would have elbows out and be in the front of the line along with a whole bunch of others.  However, it ain't gonna happen.  BTW, if I were to get a wish or two, I would expend mine on a winning lottery ticket for last night's draw for which I did not buy a ticket.  I supposed I won because I didn't buy a ticket.  Haha.

Carniam
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@darlicious I like the positivity 

@will13am 

I only presented a possibility....a determined enough person will explore every possibility to see if the seemingly impossible task can be achieved. As shown by @kselmak There are ways to achieve something if you really want it. Have you not learned by now that positivity attracts positive results? Negativity and pessicism attract the same energy......if you prefer to have your glass half empty then to each their own. My glass is always half full!

@darlicious wrote:

@bmoore 

If you decide you must port the number out on the (I'm assuming)from the $60 US/Canada roaming plan the one possibility if the number you want to port out is originally a telus phone number and you plan on activating with koodo or telus you may be able to change the number in the pm account sending the number you want to port into the holding pool for telus numbers. You would then request telus to retrieve that number from the pool. To achieve this you would need to speak directly with telus and come up with an arrangement of you planning to activate a lucrative enough plan for them to go out of their way to retrieve your original number and you willing to take the risk that you may lose it.

No carrier will do this.  Speak from experience, not a wish list. 

@kselmak 

Aha....not impossible......risk=reward. No risk for your friend only reward!

@bmoore  Do you feel lucky?

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @bmoore 

Is your number originally public?

You could change your number to a random one then open another public account with 15 plan and search for that number (you can choose thesame exchange and type in the last 4 digits). I did it for somebody after about a month after she accidentally lost her number. You may want to ask how long before the phone is back on market, you don't want it taken

This way you get to port any number you your 60 plan and port out your number from 15 plan.

@computergeek541 

Oh I completely agree with you its not something I would risk I'm just suggesting its not completely impossible but you would have to take a considerable amount of risk and then ask yourself....."Do  you feel lucky?" Im quite sure if a ceo from a large corporation made this request contigent on switching the companies mobile contracts to telus they would then happily fufill the request. Whether they would or could for the average customer is a whole different matter but there has been the successful retrieval of accidently lost numbers in the past so its just not impossible but likely improbable.

@bmoore sweet plan! 

@darlicious I strongly advise against this.  Cell phone companies will tell you that they cannot guarantee that a number can be assigned again to the same customer. Playing around with the cancelled phone number pool is not something that I would suggest to someone if the phone number is of any importance to the person. I'm not saying that your suggestion can't be successful, only that the steps that would be taken to accomplish this isn't something that all customer service reps would know how or be willing to do.

@bmoore 

If you decide you must port the number out on the (I'm assuming)from the $60 US/Canada roaming plan the one possibility if the number you want to port out is originally a telus phone number and you plan on activating with koodo or telus you may be able to change the number in the pm account sending the number you want to port into the holding pool for telus numbers. You would then request telus to retrieve that number from the pool. To achieve this you would need to speak directly with telus and come up with an arrangement of you planning to activate a lucrative enough plan for them to go out of their way to retrieve your original number and you willing to take the risk that you may lose it.

bmoore

Hi @gpixel $60 includes

Unlimited Canada /us talk

Unlimited world wide texting

at the moment, approximately 12.5 GB of data

US roaming with 2 GB of data.

This Was a promotional plan offered about 6 months ago with BYOD

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@gpixel  no need to contact the moderators for this. This has been asked many times and it is not possible to do any more.

@gpixel  there is no way. So no need to contact moderators. Wish there was as id like to do it also.

@bmoore contact Moderators. maybe there is a way...

what is your plan? if you don't mind me asking

bmoore

Hi.  This is unfortunate. I have a really good promotional plan that isn't offered anymore. 60 bucks for almost unlimited everything. Would hate to loose it!. Would be happy to pay 10 bucks for a new sim if I could keep the plan but I guess not. figured it was worth asking though.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@bmoore hi unfotunately it cant be done you will have to start over again with a new sim and email with a new account 

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

This is not possible.

You would loose the public mobile account when you port the number out.

You then would have to get a new sim card, use a new email address and port your other number into PM by activating a new account. Meaning you will start brand new again on the new PM account.

Need Help? Let's chat.