cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

newbie needs help

seallaibh
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello All.

New to this community.  Just activated a new account on the 23rd of July.  I can phone or text text, but can't send pictures by text. Voice mail and caller id work perfectly.  My big problem is that I'm not able to access my mobile data.  I'm in Newfoundland, if that's relevant.  The phone is a new phone just released in April.  It's not no anyone's lists of phones (compatible or otherwise) but the information about the bands it can operate on seems to be compatible with those PM uses.  Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

seallaibh

I have an Umidigi A1 Pro.  Nice phone, not terribly expensive.  It is compatible with all the bands that PM uses -- or says it is -- but I can't seem to get the data to work.  The APN settings are slightly different than the usual PM APN settings, but everything is greyed out on the edit screen so that I can't change them.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  People have be very helpful, but nothing has worked so far.  Maybe I'm missing something really basic??? 

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

What type of phone do you have?

seallaibh

I have tried all these things and none worked.  I switched sim cards with a friend's phone for a few minutes today.  Her phone connected to the network immediately with no problems with my sim card, but my phone didn't connect with her sim card.  I think the problem is that my new phone is not compatible with the network data stream.  Pity, since I quite like the phone.  I expect my next move will be to switch to a no data plan and save even more money on my phone bill.

Thanks for trying to help me fix something that is likely unfixable.

Also, being the total newbie that I am, I didn't realize that I needed to put the at symbol in there and probably haven't managed to do it correctly this time either.

@seallaibh wrote:

Thanks RobertQc and everyone else who replied to my Mayday call.

My phone doesn't want me to edit my APNs -- I have an edit screen, but everything is greyed out and I can't change anything.  Does anyone know a work around? 

My APN is set to sp.koodo.com and the mms is set to http://aliasdirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc.  Everything else is the same.

@Didn't see this till now, without adding someone the AT " @ "symbol @RobertQcwith a name like @seallaibh and a name, I don't get notified there is a new post sorry.

Try refreshing your network operator list and manually connecting to public mobile, then rebooting your phone, then try to change the settings again.

seallaibh

Thanks RobertQc and everyone else who replied to my Mayday call.

My phone doesn't want me to edit my APNs -- I have an edit screen, but everything is greyed out and I can't change anything.  Does anyone know a work around? 

My APN is set to sp.koodo.com and the mms is set to http://aliasdirect.net/proxy/koodo/mmsc.  Everything else is the same.

dna2016

@RobertQc ya better to do copy paste as opposed to using a link.  Links can break.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@seallaibh 

You may need to configure your APN settings to be able to send pictures (MMS) and navigate on internet (DATA).

Your "Mobile Data" also need to be activated. Android APN step-by-step configuration :

Android 

Settings > More / More Networks / Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names > New APN setting (or a plus sign)

Click here for Android APN Screen Shot

You will need to input the following information :

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
Proxy: Leave blank
Port: Leave blank
Username: Leave blank
Password: Leave blank
Server: Leave blank
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Authentication type: Leave blank
APN type: default,supl,mms,dun

Select Save/Done. Select Public Mobile to connect to the Public Mobile network. If its not working try below.

Here is the highest detail.

APN Settings:

Name: Mobile Internet

APN: sp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MMS proxy: 74.49.0.18

MMS port: 80

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

ALSO, Here's the Tethering APN Settings As Well:

APN Tethering Settings:

Name: Tethered Mobile Internet

APN: isp.mb.com

Proxy: Not set

Port: Not set

Username: Not set

Password: Not set

Server: Not set

MMSC: Not set

MMS proxy: Not set

MMS port: Not set

Authentication type: Not set

APN type: dun

APN protocol: IPv4

APN roaming protocol: IPv4

APN enable/disable: APN enabled

Bearer: Unspecified

MVNO type: GID

MVNO value: 4D4F

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@dna2016  thanks fixed link.

dna2016

@seallaibh ya sounds like an APN issue. As the others have mentioned you'll need to check your settings to see if there needs to be some updates.  

@mimmo you'll need to use a new link, when I click on the link you provided it doesn't take me to any type of APN settings.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@seallaibh wrote:

Hello All.

New to this community.  Just activated a new account on the 23rd of July.  I can phone or text text, but can't send pictures by text. Voice mail and caller id work perfectly.  My big problem is that I'm not able to access my mobile data.  I'm in Newfoundland, if that's relevant.  The phone is a new phone just released in April.  It's not no anyone's lists of phones (compatible or otherwise) but the information about the bands it can operate on seems to be compatible with those PM uses.  Any suggestions?

You will need to setup your APN here is the best site I have found for doing that https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@seallaibh  you need to set up your apn settings.

see details on this link https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Setting-up-Data-APN-on-your-phone/ta-...

edit fixed link

Need Help? Let's chat.