cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

my account got deleted

chrislin2k
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there, I hope someone can help me. Last week I applied a new line from Fido (they had a promotion) so I ported my phone number to Fido. But then my Public Mobile account was deleted by porting my phone number. I paid the plan for this month already because I want to keep this account so my wife can use it. Can someone help? Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@chrislin2k   I am trying to be helpful and giving the facts.  Porting out = closing account and losing any rewards available funds and any time lift in you plan. 

the community is supposed to help triage help requests for moderators, thus lessening the load and hopefully lessen wait times.  when the community provides the answer to a commonly know issue/ question which is fairly clear,  but then that person  is also told go ask moderators because maybe...  it will increase the load on moderators and it undermines the value of the previous answers/community knowledge.  at this point why not skip the community and go directly to moderators all the time.

If you did reach out to mods please let us know the results, so the community can be better informed.

searching for port account closed gave me these there are many more:

Account closed when I ported out number (publicmobile.ca)

Closing publicmobile account and porting question

Does porting number from Public Mobile close the P... (publicmobile.ca)

Re: Porting out without closing account (publicmobile.ca)

Port Number Out without Closing PM Account (publicmobile.ca)

mimmo

@chrislin2k   here are a couple threads. Manny more can be found using the search.  

No being rude, and please don't take my comments as rude.  The purpose of the community is to help customers find answers to their questions, thus lessening the load on the moderator team.

If a common enough, question  is answered, but then it is suggested to contact moderators anyway, it undermines both the correct  answers you were given , and the purpose of the community which is to lessen moderator workload.

If you did contact the moderators please share the results so that the community can benefit and know how to properly direct customers in the future.

@chrislin2k wrote:

can you show me topics regarding "porting number = closing account". 

From the CRTC site:

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/num.htm

How does this work?

• All you need to do is phone, email or send regular mail to your new service provider to request a service transfer. Your new service provider will cancel your existing services and start your new services with them.
  • As soon as your current service provider receives the notice of cancellation from your new provider, they will cancel your services immediately. Alternatively, you can ask to have your services cancelled at a later date.
  • You do not need to provide 30 days notice before cancelling your phone, mobile, Internet, or TV services.Footnote 2

Keep your phone number when you switch

Most importantly, do not cancel your service before you switch to the new provider.Tell your new phone provider that you want to keep your number. They will take care of the transfer for you – they’ll ask for some personal details to set up your account and ask you which services you want to keep, remove or change.

seeing as @chrislin2k still wants an active line at public. they will most likely do something. probably just credit for the month. rewards are most likely gone.. you still need to purchase a new sim

chrislin2k

@mimmo  please correct if I am wrong. can you show me topics regarding "porting number = closing account". I am not trying to be rude but what I see is @darlicious trying to help me with his best; not you. If I knew porting my number has the consequence of closing my account I would talk to moderator or someone else. Now I made my mistake and I am taking it. However, I already made a payment for this month. does this mean I have to lose my money just because of closing account by accident? 

@mimmo 

There are examples of unhappy customers through their own stupidity ( I'm am not saying this in regards to the OP) activated but did not understand the online support model and by complaining to the BBB recieved their money back as a gesture of good will despite moving to a new provider. I figured since the OP has been a good customer and wanted to continue being a customer by giving his account to his wife. He would not had been able to port his number out and do this but had he known what would happen when he ported he may have made a different decision ad at least not have topped up his account to pay for what he thought would be his wife's bill/account. He has conceded his rewards but i dont think asking for a credit on a new account for his wife is out if line. If they are willing to do it for custom ers who will never be a pm customer its worth asking for a good customer who made a mistake and still wants his wife to be a customer.

Though not the same I have also succeeded it helping a member recover her rewards after being the victim of a fraudulent port and she was told she could not have the rewards restored.  I happen to have seen a comment by her, advised her and 6 months after the fraudulent port she had the rewards restored as well.

I think I advised the OP well enough to not expect it but it's worth asking for.......

@darlicious wrote:

Since your account has now been cancelled its best to contact the moderators thru private messaging. Enter Moderator_team in the address bar. Type closed account by mistake in the subject line and explain your situation and the error you made in detail. Mention that you understand you have lost your accounts rewards etc...but would they be willing to credit a new account for your wife the amount you had paid for your service this month. Include the following info for reference and include a screenshot of your account if you have one.

1. Full name and address on your account.
  2. Phone number and email address.
  3. Pin # and date ported/closed.
  4. Account #.

They may be willing to do this as a good will gesture since you intended and still want to open an account for your wife with public mobile. Good luck!

I could see them maybe doing this if the OP ported to Koodo or Telus, not to a competitor.  It is always said PM is prepaid and there are no refunds.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

mimmo

@darlicious  why are you suggesting contacting mod? Do you have examples when this has worked for this or any other similar situations?  If yes please share for future similar situations so the community knows how to better help.  But the PM policy is pretty clear, and so are the many topics with similar circumstances.  

Since your account has now been cancelled its best to contact the moderators thru private messaging. Enter Moderator_team in the address bar. Type closed account by mistake in the subject line and explain your situation and the error you made in detail. Mention that you understand you have lost your accounts rewards etc...but would they be willing to credit a new account for your wife the amount you had paid for your service this month. Include the following info for reference and include a screenshot of your account if you have one.

1. Full name and address on your account.
  2. Phone number and email address.
  3. Pin # and date ported/closed.
  4. Account #.

They may be willing to do this as a good will gesture since you intended and still want to open an account for your wife with public mobile. Good luck!

mimmo

@chrislin2k  there is no proration refunds etc.  This is a prepaid service.

chrislin2k

thank you for your answer. i guess i have to accept the mistake that i made. i have thought i could change a new phone number then do the porting. however, according to the information that you gave me there is absolutely no way to keep my account that i have had for three years once the porting is completed. i guess i need to take the loss in order to keep my phone number. Now my concern is am I able to get the credit (not refund) for what i paid for this month? if so how do i contact the moderator? thank you.

mimmo

@chrislin2k  as already mentioned porting out closes the account and nullifies all rewards, account balances and any remaing prepaid time.

Sorry for giving you the bad news, but there is no way to get the account active again so your wife can take advantage your your plan or rewards. 

There is no point contacting the moderators as this question has been asked many times and the answer/policy  is simply it is not possible.

@chrislin2k 

Porting number means terminating accounts. (We can only have one number per account)

If you charged your mind you could contact moderates and see if they could revert it. No promises but maybe

Now I would then advise you to charge your Fido number to something else as that will terminate your new Fido account. You can do that in Fido web portal

@chrislin2k 

I feel for you but moderators won't restore accounts unless it's a fraudulent port. But as was mentioned it can't hurt to contact the moderators and explain the situation and see if they can help or are willing to help. 

chrislin2k

thank you for the reply. but the problem is my account is gone and i already paid the plan for this month. i am hoping i can either get my account back or get the credit. i have used this account for 3 years and i really don't wanna lose all discount that i have. 

@chrislin2k This is basically what happens with any provider if you decide to port your number out. 

If you want an account for you wife. You will need a new sim card and you will have to create a new account with a different email address from the first one you used with Public Mobile. Be sure to use a referral code so you wife gets a $10 signup bonus.

@chrislin2k 

As mentioned by @prairiedogbob  once you port your number out the account closes there would be no way around keeping your account if you want your phone number to be with another provider.

chrislin2k

Thank you for prompt reply. I am not asking refund. I am planning to give my account to my wife. So I wish I could have my account back. 

prairiedogbob
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@chrislin2k 

Unfortunately once you port out your phone number your account automatically closes. You can contact the moderators to see if they would be willing to offer some kind of credit if you activate and account for your wife. But generally their are no refunds.

Need Help? Let's chat.