cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

more selection of phone numbers

alan1956
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello. I moved to a different province and want to change my phone number. There only seems to be 5 to chose from. Is there another way to see what else is available?

22 REPLIES 22

@ab2004 wrote:

You can always get a prepaid sim card from Fido or Rogers, and port that number in. They always get more choices on phone numbers than Public Mobile. 

Or the swaths of land line numbers that are freeing up by the conventional carriers if you really want one of the "old" area codes to then port out. Often landline customer service reps are happy to see if a "preferred number" is available, just don't let on your intent to port out & cancel the service soon after. Or search through VoIP providers like voip.ms, twilio, numberbarn, etc.

@dabr wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr 

Customers are allowed to change the phone number four times in 30 days.

@computergeek541     Thanks for letting us know that PM has updated the 30 day number change policy.  

Was there some announcement to this effect or just a quiet change in the system?

Either way I think it's really good policy and quite generous of PM to allow free number changes as I believe other carriers charge a fee for that.

In the Get Help pages, this information is now refected there.  Here's a direct link:  How to choose your Phone Number (publicmobile.ca)

This change has been in effect since April 19.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@dabr 

@computergeek541     Thanks for letting us know that PM has updated the 30 day number change policy.  

Was there some announcement to this effect or just a quiet change in the system?

Either way I think it's really good policy and quite generous of PM to allow free number changes as I believe other carriers charge a fee for that.

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

What? Is that new?

Yes, this is a recent change.

@dabr 

ab2004

You can always get a prepaid sim card from Fido or Rogers, and port that number in. They always get more choices on phone numbers than Public Mobile. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alan1956 : What did you do? I had that the last time I changed my number and resorted to asking the mods. I recall trying all the usual things too.

alan1956

Ok - i figured it out - I was able to change the phone number. Thanks for all your help.

@alan1956 wrote:

Ok - I will try that. I'm not sure about the incognito/privacy mode - I'll have to look that up and see how its done. Thank you.

@alan1956   Do you see the 3 horizontal lines top right of your browser?  Click that and then Privacy/Incognito mode.

Edit:  It maybe slightly different on different browsers...Firefox has New Private Window.

alan1956

Ok - I will try that. I'm not sure about the incognito/privacy mode - I'll have to look that up and see how its done. Thank you.

@alan1956 wrote:

No - I haven't.

@alan1956   That shouldn't be happening then.  Try clearing your browser cache/cookies and use incognito/privacy mode before retrying.

alan1956

No - I haven't.

@alan1956 wrote:

I'm looking at Toronto and I don't mind either '647' or '437'. I just tried 4 different numbers (2 minutes ago)  and they all came up with this error message: Phone number change failed. I tried logging out then logging back in, but it doesn't seem to matter.

@alan1956   You are allowed four number changes per 30 days Have you changed you number within the last 30 days? 

Edited to reflect new PM policy as advised by @computergeek541 

alan1956

I'm not sure what is meant by 'upper tier brand'. Do you mean like: Bell, Rogers?

alan1956

I'm looking at Toronto and I don't mind either '647' or '437'. I just tried 4 different numbers (2 minutes ago)  and they all came up with this error message: Phone number change failed. I tried logging out then logging back in, but it doesn't seem to matter.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@alan1956 , if you are particular about phone numbers, one option would be to open up an account with an upper tier brand and port in the number.  I have found that the "choice exchanges and prefixes" are generally available with the upper tiers.

@alan1956 

What city are you looking for? You can try outlying areas if you are looking fof an older more popular area code rather than a newer area code.

alan1956

Personally, I don't mind being overwhelmed with numbers. LOL I will definitely try what was mentioned. Thank you.

alan1956

Thank you. I will try that.

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@alan1956 

The system gives you just a few options so it doesn't overwhelm you, and also so you don't take so much time because somebody else may take the number you're looking for too.  A small workaround to see other options is what @Anonymous mentioned - to switch out, then switch back to see what options you have available.  🙂

Alternatively, if you already have another telephone number, you have the option of porting/transferring it into Public Mobile (although I know this isn't exactly what you were originally asking for).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@alan1956 wrote:

Hello. I moved to a different province and want to change my phone number. There only seems to be 5 to chose from. Is there another way to see what else is available?

Yes. Choose the city just above in the list. Let it populate. Then choose your city again and it will populate with a new set.

Need Help? Let's chat.