cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost my phone, need help

alinawang1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I lost my phone today and I dont know the likelihood of recovering it since it looks like someone has it in their possession. What is the step on recovering my old phone number? Is it as simple as buying a new sim card and changing the sim card through self service to recover my old number? Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

dougc
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If I found someones  cell phone  I would again attempt to do what I did many years ago when i found one on the street next to the metered slot I had just parked in . . . check thru the contacts and started calling them in the hopes that one was a family or friend of the phone owner.  

Then I arranged to leave the phone at the neighbouring business for them to pick up later.  I checked back a couple days later,  and confirmed it had been picked up !   I think it had been one of those fell out of pocket incidents.

Now-a-days access to contacts list,   not likely possible with  security access utilities on our units,  due to their potential street resale value.  

Hope the owner tries to call soon,     or later maybe popout the sim to access the IMEI (sp?)  and reach out to the service provider ?

doug c

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@alinawang1  follow the info provided by others.

Then:

• buy a new sim card DO NOT ACTIVATE IT
  • Click change sim card (green arrow on pic below)
  • Screenshot_20200629_182641.jpg

• Your new sim card is now attached to your account.

• Put sim in another phone and you're good to go.

alinawang1

first few times it rang a few times then voicemail. Afterwards it went straight into voicemail.

Yes it does it all gets suspended

btw, what happens when you call your number?

Use TextNow or fongo as alternative number for now

alinawang1

Thanks for the help. Does disabling service also disable data on the device?

sbk1441
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

If you have an iPhone you should also try to erase and de-activate everything remotely using the App "find my." This may make ease of transfer to a new SIM card more straight forward. Google (Android) may have a similar app available.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@alinawang1 wrote:

I lost my phone today and I dont know the likelihood of recovering it since it looks like someone has it in their possession. What is the step on recovering my old phone number? Is it as simple as buying a new sim card and changing the sim card through self service to recover my old number? Thanks!

@alinawang1 

That is correct.  However, until you get your SIM card, you should report your phone lost/stolen in the meantime.  

Report your phone lost/stolen in self service account.  

To report your phone  lost/stolen.  Login to your account.  Choose Plans and Add-ons tab. Then choose Lost/Stolen Phone tab.  The choose Suspend Service tab. 

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Please contact moderators asap with subject 'URGENT stolen phone and account'

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

Watch for private message upper right corner (little envelope)

Be ready to prove you are the owner

Try to remember your pin

Have the cc handy for verification or if you can locate old voucher, would be great

Need Help? Let's chat.