cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incoming calls right to voicemail

Denised2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had public mobile for about 5 months with no problems. The last month or so people tell me they called and the phone went right to voicemail. My phone doesn’t ring or show a recent caller. It will say a voicemail is there if the caller waited for it to answer. I have tried restarting but it still does the same thing. 

15 REPLIES 15

Pizzaeh
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Denised2 wrote:

Just an update, I did 3 things. Call forwarded and then turned that off.  Turned on announce all callers and updated the ios. My phone seems to be working great now. Thanks  

That's fantastic, thanks for letting us know!  

Denised2

Just an update, I did 3 things. Call forwarded and then turned that off.  Turned on announce all callers and updated the ios. My phone seems to be working great now. Thanks  

CalgaryBen

Based on symptoms and troubleshooting so far, I have no iPhone specific thoughts/recommendations other than to try Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings.  Unfortunately that will necessitate re-establishing WiFi connections.

On any type of phone, I'd be checking to see if calls made from the phone work consistently, and then try making some test calls to the phone after it's been idle for a while.  I've found that sometimes the first call will go to VM, while a subsequent call to the phone right afterwards will go through (or, calls can be received after a successful outgoing call is terminated)... if this is the observation, I often focus on antenna/signal issues.  As others have mentioned, having another phone to test on is useful to confirm it is indeed isolated to the phone, but based on symptoms, it usually is.

@stonechucker  All the bases covered unless the phone is simply in the middle of an update. Friend just had email "issues" because the update to 12.1.4 was hung up; all cured after restarting the update. We also noticed that installing the previous update, 12.1.3, toggled Auto Update ON even though it was previously OFF.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

I haven’t used the newer iPhones, but I remember a switch above the volume buttons that can be toggled to mute all sounds.  Does your iPhone 8 haventhis switch?  It might be in the down position, meaning off.  

@Luddite , @CalgaryBen, any other thoughts on this thread?

PMOttawa

does it do it all the time or only sometime?

that is typical if you are in a no service area or do not have a signal. This happen to me at work, underground malls, gyms, etc, everytime and have no signal.

Denised2

Ok, trying the call forwarding and an update. Thanks. I’ll let you know if it works. 

Lieux
Oracle
Oracle

@Denised2  a écrit :

I have had public mobile for about 5 months with no problems. The last month or so people tell me they called and the phone went right to voicemail. My phone doesn’t ring or show a recent caller. It will say a voicemail is there if the caller waited for it to answer. I have tried restarting but it still does the same thing. 

I found that here in the community from @Luddite 

- turning Do Not Disturb On the OFF

- rebooting your phone

- asking someone to call putting *67 in front of your number to block their number in case your phone is blocking their number

- your SIM in a different phone...

And it was the solution for an Iphone...good luck...

@Denised2 Just enter in a friends number, it's only for a few seconds then you'll disable it.

Pizzaeh

@Denised2 wrote:

When I go to call forwarding it just sends me to a screen to add a forward to number. 

@Denised2 Have a look at this webpage; there are quite a few things you can check....

https://appletoolbox.com/2014/02/incoming-iphone-calls-go-to-voice-mail-without-ringing/#How_to_Fix_...

Good luck, and once you determine which change fixes it for you, please post back here so we can help the next person with a similar question.

Denised2

When I go to call forwarding it just sends me to a screen to add a forward to number. 

Pizzaeh

@Denised2 wrote:

I have an iPhone 8. It is not on ‘do not disturb’

See if this helps; found it on the interwebs....

FORWARD TO VOICEMAIL IS ON:
  1. Start your PHONE app.
  2. Click MORE (or three dots icon) in the top right corner of the screen (or the OPTIONS/MENU button on older devices)
  3. Click SETTINGS.
  4. Click CALL FORWARDING.
  5. Click VOICE CALL.
  6. Click ALWAYS FORWARD and then DISABLE

Denised2

I have an iPhone 8. It is not on ‘do not disturb’

Alex888
Mayor / Maire
@Denised2 Make sure you don't have your phone set to Do Not Disturb or Airplane mode

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Denised2  have you checked the setting in your phone?  Phones allow you to configure them so that all calls go directly to voicemail.  There would be options like - go to voicemail if not answered or busy, or go to voicemail all the time, etc. 

What type of phone do you have (Android or IOS)?

Need Help? Let's chat.