cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing number - is it possible to specify area code and exchange prefix?

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, all.

I activated on a new plan earlier today. During activation, at the choose number phase, I saw a number that I liked, selected it, and proceeded to the next phase. But then I accidentally hit the previous page button on my mouse (probably because I was half asleep) and the browser backed up to the phone number page, only the number that I had chosen previously was no longer available. I waited about 10 minutes, and that number was still unavailable. I suppose that number was held in a pending registration cache of some sort, and would eventually return to the pool. But anyway, I had read in the Help Articles that one number change per 30 days was permitted anyway. So I just choose some other number tentatively.

However, now when I go to self serve and try to change the number, I find that the number of choices is limited to 5 at a time and I have to force a refresh to get another batch of 5. What's worse is that those numbers are not even in the same area code as that of my current number. During activation, there were more numbers available at a given time, plus an option to search for the availability of a number by the last 4 digits. Ideally I would like a shot at the number that I had nuked accidentally, but I don't know how I can get the system to allow me to select from that range of numbers with the same area code and exchange prefix like I was able to do during activation, or if that's even possible at this point. It seems that Public Mobile doesn't really want people to change number following activation. Or do other carriers do this too? And is there a way around it?

Thanks for reading.

9 REPLIES 9

@LurganIeUk wrote:

Area code can still be long distance. It is the next 3 number that keeps you in your calling locale. Check here. http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

And here: https://localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php

Area code can still be long distance. It is the next 3 number that keeps you in your calling locale. Check here. http://www.cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

BasesLoadedWalk
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I actually like that Public Mobile allows you to see a list of numbers available. I was able to get a number that has a repeating pattern, and kind of looks like a vanity number. I was also able to see numbers from all 3 area codes available in my city.

You could find a 10 digit number for your area from a VoIP service. The question is what VoIP services allow porting out, cost to port out, cost to hold the number. Ie take a look at VoIP.ms. Cost is about $1 a month till you pull the pin. It will cost more if you make or receive calls. VoIP.ms allows porting out.  Keep in mind it can take longer for a VoIP porting to complete.   You can use an app to run a VoIP.ms number with is relatively easy vs setting up an ATA box. Port out excuse is......VoIP did not work for me. 

I am sure others can tell you what VoIP numbers can be ported out. 

bw0
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The moderators were able to help me (to make up for my own stupid mistake). Many thanks to those who responded. And Happy New Year to all!

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Unfortunately only the number selection at activation includes a search, and seeminly unlimited "more numbers" button... after activation its limited to a random few as previously mentioned.

If you are set on a number from a specific area code and city, you are not limited to only Public Mobile's selections - you can port in a number from another service like NumberBarn for example which specializes in this.

https://www.numberbarn.com/

Lastly, with patience you might find just by refreshing the random offerings in the "change number" option in the self-serve, you might eventually see your desired area code show up for your selected city. Try just switching between a couple cities, and the numbers offered will change each time. Also keep in mind many cities have multiple rate centres in the same local calling area - ie in Vancouver you can also check Richmond, New Westminster, and Aldergrove.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hello @bw0 ,

The system should generate numbers based on the city you are choosing to activate under. 

Try the live chatting option reserved for activation assistance:

Online Activation Assistance

Alternately, you can contact the moderators.

To contact the Public Mobile Moderator_Team, there are two ways to reach them:

1 -  Click the bubble comment circle on the bottom right hand side of your screen, or use this link to: Get Help With SIMon the Public Mobile chatbot

OR

2 - Use this link to:

Private Message to Public Mobile Moderators (PM Customer Service Representatives)

@bw0 

Unfortunately, the number serach feature for the last 4 digits of a phone number is not available after the initial activation. Also, there isn't a way to search for a specific area code. Many cities have more than one valid area code. If the number that you hoping to get is still available but it isn't showing up in during the number change procedure, I would suggest asking a moderator if that specific phone number is available. You can open a ticket by going to: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@bw0 

You're only allowed to select last 4 digits at sign up.

After that PM allows one change over 30 days. If you have already logged into your account and clicked "change number" and switched your number again. Then you'll have to wait 30 days.

If you didn't. Do change number and pick a city of the number you want it to be in.  You will have to simply refresh the page over and over to see if you get something you like out of the 5 selections.

You can try opening a ticket for moderators but NO guarantee they can help.

Simon.JPG

  

Or send them a private message at link below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Welcome to Public Mobile and if you used a referral code for a $10 signup bonus that will be credited to your account within 72 hours.

Happy Holidays!

Need Help? Let's chat.