cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

android chat features

shadcollins
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

hello,

androids latest update allows texts to be sent over wifi, this feature is referred to by android as 'chat features' 

when attempting to turn chat features on, my phone (google pixel 3) prompts me that "your operator does not currently support this feature"

does public mobile plan to work this out eventually? 

thank you for your time

3 REPLIES 3

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shadcollins as @geopublic mentioned, Google has grown tired of carriers (not just here, all around the world) dragging their feet and has started deploying their own implementation, removing the dependency on carriers.  At this point, I think all we can do is wait for Google to target Canada.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@shadcollins wrote:

hello,

androids latest update allows texts to be sent over wifi, this feature is referred to by android as 'chat features' 

when attempting to turn chat features on, my phone (google pixel 3) prompts me that "your operator does not currently support this feature"

thank you for your time

@shadcollins Are you referring to RCS? Currently in Canada Rogers and Freedom have implemented the protocol on their networks. Google is currently rolling it out in the UK and has stated that they will roll it out in other countries on their own if the providers do not decide to implement it. So I guess the answer is yes, eventually.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@shadcollins wrote:

hello,

thank you for your time

If it requires PM to modify it's systems, then no it will (likely) never be available.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.
Need Help? Let's chat.