cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PM suggesting to switch to Koodo?

ohitora
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I know that Public Mobile and Koodo are part of Telus. Have read that PM is suggesting to switch to Koodo. Is there a plan to faze out PM?

18 REPLIES 18

ohitora

Thanks

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ohitora wrote:

More carefully perused Koodo and - yes - it’s worth looking into. However in addition that a new SIM card has to be purchased doubt that the funds in my PM account could be transferred or am I wrong?

@ohitora to your last question, again "it depends".  If you are talking about unused portion of your current 30/90 day cycle, or any rewards you may have earned, the answer is that no, those are not transferrable and would be forfeitted.  I'm not sure which migration offer you may have received, but most of them have a bill credit built in that can help to offset that loss.  In some cases, it will cover more than you stand to lose, in some cases you end up losing a bit.  In the latter case, you always need to look at the bigger picture to see how the plans will meet your needs in the longer term.  For example, it may be worth loosing a few dollars if you stand to benefit month after month by either getting more of the things you need and/or paying less for it at Koodo.  That's an individual assessment everyone needs to make based on their needs, preferences, and budget.

If you're talking about Available Funds balance, if you have a family member that uses PM (I believe you said you did), you can ask the moderators to move the un-used available funds balance to another active PM account.  I'm not 100% sure they are still able/willing to do this, but I know they were in some of the previous migrations earlier this year.

To your point about the SIM card, again there are nuances.  Koodo has changed things a bit since I migrated in March, so I'm not 100% sure how it works now if you're not purchasing a new phone from them during activation.  If you are purchasing a new phone, and you order it online, there is NO up front cost for the SIM or activation; if you are purchasing a new phone and do so at a retail location, they charge a $30 activation fee, which also includes the cost of the SIM card.  I believe if you are just activating without phone purchase, the same $30 fee is charged in stores, but I don't know if it's free online now or if they charge a nominal fee for the SIM card.  At the time I did mine, the SIM card was $15, but they had no concept of activation fee at the time.

That said, even if you are charged as much as $30, you can actually recoup that plus $20 more in 8-10 weeks with a referral credit.  https://referafriend.koodomobile.com/public/home.pg.  If you know someone on Koodo, ask them to sign in at that page and send you a referral link.  If you don't know someone there, there are many people here in the community that would be happy to send you their link, myself included.  With that referral link, you click it and register with a little basic info including the email address you will use for your Koodo account, and do this first.  They send you an email with another link you will need after activation.  Then you buy online or go to the store as you desire, and once you have the sim in hand and activate, port your PM phone number over and verify that's working.  Then you visit the link in the email from Koodo and type in your ported over phone number, and then in 8-10 weeks both you and the person that referred you will get a $50 bill credit on your Koodo account.  Whole process takes about 5 mins including the two steps, very simple.  If you are seriously considering taking a Koodo migration, it's worth using a referral link for sure. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ohitora

More carefully perused Koodo and - yes - it’s worth looking into. However in addition that a new SIM card has to be purchased doubt that the funds in my PM account could be transferred or am I wrong?

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ohitora wrote:

PM offers a very cheap roaming package. 

@ohitora yes and no.  First of all, should you wish to roam other than to the USA, you simply cannot with PM where you can with Koodo.  And as for which one is cheaper to the USA, the answer is "it depends", as I noted here yesterday: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Text/m-p/248012/highlight/true#M29087

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ohitora

How much ?

ohitora

Other then your point on being able to buy a new phone it seems to me that PM is not second to none.

Reception is just as good as Telus and Bell because they use the same towers. PM offers a very cheap roaming package. PM has add ons that roll over until used. PM has data add ons if one chooses a non data plan. PM offers $2 discount if auto renew is activated.   In short there is no better plan around  and I hope that Telus doesn’t eventually kill it.

persaudrd
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The strategy in general is to have subscribers "move up the value chain" from Public Mobile (prepaid) to Koodo (postpaid, agreements for new phones) to Telus (most expensive plans, premium phones), but the whole point of Public now is to get people in the door on cheaper plans.

Why move to Koodo? I can think of 3 main reasons:

1) Koodo plans have roaming built-in; for a cost per day you can use your plan outside the country which may make a lot of sense for some travelers.

2) You want to get a new phone; Koodo tends to have great deals on phone upgrades through companies like Wow Mobile and Walmart (gift cards with activation between $100 - $400), and a flexible tab system to pay off your phones.

3) Koodo migration offers are pretty good. A few months ago the offer was $40/6GB on LTE which is really nice. Depending on what your needs are a Public Mobile plan might suit much better though because you don't need to do a credit check, and you can earn rewards to reduce the cost of your plan per month.

MacMe
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mikga wrote:

is this promo still on - 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40?

The 3G one is available for Public Mobile, not sure about Koodo:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Get-4-GB-at-3G-speeds-for-40/m-p/246014

mikga

is this promo still on - 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40?

CalvinW

Hate how Koodo are also making their promo plans more and more enticing. Missed out on the Fall Promo back then, but Koodo is willing to offer 4GB LTE and Canada Wide Calling for $40 which is even better. But sticking with PM in the long run might be better since the rewards will certainly add up. 

MacMe

@ohitora wrote:

I know that Public Mobile and Koodo are part of Telus. Have read that PM is suggesting to switch to Koodo. Is there a plan to faze out PM?

You read it in another thread, so you could have just looked at the responses there:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/why-the-Koodo-offer/m-p/248097

Orz

Switching to Koodo (postpaid) may be a good idea if you are in the market for a new phone. Sometime Koodo has sales on phones by offering activation credit worth a few hundred dollars up front. Their tab system also help speading out the cost of a new phone over  24 months. If you get any credit for migration that's icing on the cake.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ohitora wrote:

Can you not return it for credit?

Apparently one can within 15 days. I'm in a rural area and had bought the card at a store in a larger centre while I was there in advance of intending to switch over. Then I learned about PM. Love it. Now I have this useless (to me) Koodo card.

ohitora

Can you not return it for credit?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Koodo Pre-paid...I was really interested in the rollover of unused minutes and data with the add-ons but I did decide on PM in the end. Unfortunately I had bought a SIM and never did anything with it so it's for sale.

ohitora

Just perused the KOODO prepaid plans and concluded that one would be a fool to switch from Public Mobile to KOODO.

meocon

@ohitora if you're on $10 plan, maybe you'll get a text to switch to Koodo for $15 plan with $30 credit.

cmatassa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ohitora do a quick search of the forums and you will see that there are lots of threads on this topic already. I believe they just try to get people to switch to Koodo to get them on a post-paid plan instead to try and get more money.

Need Help? Let's chat.