cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s 1st - Cancel or Port

kjordison
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Do I cancel my cell contract with Rogers first? How do I port my number? I’ve currently got 4 lines shared on Rogers. I need to port all numbers and lines each to their own $40 a month plan with PM. Do I lose all stuff on my phone if I take out Rogers SIM card and put in a PM SIM card? So confused 🤷‍♀️ 

5 REPLIES 5

@Jarvar wrote:

@kjordison

I just finished porting my numbers over from Rogers. I did not cancel my Rogers account first. When I activated with Public Mobile, I asked them to do it for me instead. .

You can't cancel your Rogers first. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to port out.  It's not an option you can choose.  As for asking Public Mobile, it's not something that needs to be requested as it's automatic.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@kjordison, since everyone has answered the question of how to port over the numbers from Rogers, I will fill in the next step.  Right now there is a promo with retail partners London Drugs and Walmart where activating at these locations yields a free SIM card and $25 account credit.  Might as well do the shopping at one of these stores.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/londondrugs

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/walmart

Another thing to understand is the rewards available to Public Mobile customers.  The easiest rewards to get are referral and auto pay.  For the first account, get an existing customer to provide a phone number referral.  For subsequent accounts, use the number from the first account to as referral.  This will add $10 of additional one time credit to each account plus a $1/30 bonus x 3 for the first account. 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/General-Reward-Rules/ta-p/164

There are also other knowledge base articles that contain valuable information on the service. 

Jarvar
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@kjordison

I just finished porting my numbers over from Rogers. I did not cancel my Rogers account first. When I activated with Public Mobile, I asked them to do it for me instead. I did not have a temporary number, I did it all at the same time.

The first line went through without a problem, in under 2 hours, I lost service on my Rogers SIM. Person at the WoW Mobile asked me to then just put in the PM SIM which I did and I got service and everything worked. Calling, Receiving, Texting and Data.

The second line I did required a bit of setup to get the data and MMS Text messaging to work. The outgoing and regular SMS texting worked right away. I had to setup the Access Point Names for the MultiMedia Texts and Data to work properly. The line wasn't able to receive calls though. Apparently the port was half baked so they had to request it again from Public Mobiles side. Once that was done everything worked.

However, let Public Mobile port the numbers to ensure you will keep your number intact. When the port happens they will automatically close your account with Rogers. When I called Rogers afterwards, they said they would prorate everything and credit you the remaining days to your account. If you still have services with them, they would use it towards your bill. If not then they will cut you a cheque.

As For the SIM. In the old days, when phone numbers were attached to SIM cards you might have lost some of your contacts, but most phones now do not actually save numbers to the SIM since there is more and more data now and SIMs don't generally handle much data. it would be good to find out before you remove it, but in general it's just the carrier which is tied to the SIM Card. I hope that clears things up.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You should sign up with Public Mobile and get a temporary number.  Once you are satisfied with the service, then you can use the selfserve portal to port your Rogers number over.

As to the information on your phone, it depends on whether the information is attached to the SIM card, or to the phone itself.  Most of the time, it's to the phone itself, in which case you would not lose anything when switching SIM cards.

KMG
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Do not cancel your Rogers account.  Your Rogers account needs to be active for you to be able to port your number.

When you port your number to PM, your Rogers account will be closed automatically.

Need Help? Let's chat.