cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do I do if my phone is lost or stolen?

Lachlan_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

If your Phone is lost or stolen, you can suspend your service by logging into your Self Serve account > Plan and Add-ons > Lost/Stolen Phone > Suspend Service. 

step 8.PNG

You can order a new SIM card by sending us an email via Contact Us link. Please follow this article to see how you can order SIM card. Once you receive your new SIM card, you can change the SIM card number on your account via Self Serve by going to Plan and Add-ons > Change SIM card number and resume your service by going to Plan and Add-ons > Lost/Stolen Phone > Resume Service.

53 REPLIES 53

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Remyrajesparam sorry to hear about your phone 😞 Do you work in a publicly accessible place, or would it have been one of your coworkers?

In terms of what to do, that's answered in this very thread, in the first posting:  http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/What-do-I-do-if-my-phone-is-lost-or-stolen/....

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Remyrajesparam report to mods so they can block someone from using your account

Remyrajesparam
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Some one stolen my phone my work place.what can I do???

srlawren

@computergeek541 wrote:

On a side note, I think everyone should do themselves a favor and always have an extra sim card. This way, you would have already been up an running as soon as you had the time to purchase a new phone and would not have had to wait for this new sim card.

This is great advice, @computergeek541!  I'd second that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Wondarful wrote:

I lost my phone over a week ago. I want to buy a new unlocked phone, but I saw that I had to order new SIM card online. I believe I did that this past Friday or on the weekend. I would like to know if I will be receiving SIM card in the mail, and how many days it would take me to receive it and then what the next step is. I already cancelled the phone service and my credit  card as I also lost that and I was paying through auto pay. I am anxious to have a phone again.

If you're in a major city, expect the sim card to arrive between 1 to 3 business days.  If you're in a very remote area, I would give it a week.

On a side note, I think everyone should do themselves a favor and always have an extra sim card. This way, you would have already been up an running as soon as you had the time to purchase a new phone and would not have had to wait for this new sim card.

Wondarful

I lost my phone over a week ago. I want to buy a new unlocked phone, but I saw that I had to order new SIM card online. I believe I did that this past Friday or on the weekend. I would like to know if I will be receiving SIM card in the mail, and how many days it would take me to receive it and then what the next step is. I already cancelled the phone service and my credit  card as I also lost that and I was paying through auto pay. I am anxious to have a phone again.

@TeresaCornish77 it depends on what model phone you have

Android/Apple/Blackberry/Windows all have different ways to disable remotely

They also can recover pictures if you had been sync them

Let us know phone type 

srlawren

@TeresaCornish77 what kind of phone is it?  Are you sure you don't have your photos backed up automatically to the cloud?  If you have an iPhone, perhaps they are in iCloud?  Or if you have an Android, do you maybe have Google Photos set to auto-sync your photos?

@TeresaCornish77 wrote:

My Cell phone was stolen yesterday, How would l go about getting my phone shut off so that know one else will beable to use lt, My cell phone has very important pictures on lt of my mom and dad that had passed away,Could someone please get back to me concerning this matter, As l really need my phone, Thank you

Some phones have the ability to be password locked, or erased remotely.  That would reduce any privacy concerns that you may have.  However, if you phone has a non-encrypted sd card (set up as portable storage in Android), the person will be free to snoop through any files they wish by removing the memory card and inserting it into another device.  Some phones can also be remotely set to show a message on the screen with instructions on how to return the phone to you.  This would involve logging into your account (gmail account, for example, in the case of Android phones).

Some phones also allow you to use to patch into the device's GPS unit and you will be informed of where your phone currently is.  But that's only going to work if the person hasn't turn your phone off.  Also, in a higher density location such as a shopping mall, appartment building, sports statdium, it's impossible to know which person has your phone.  Also, it would likely be unwise to confront someone if the person really did steal your phone, as you would not want to be in contact with criminal who may feel threatened by you and do something rash.

You can contact Public Mobile so that the IMEI (basically a serial number) of the phone number can be blacklisted so that this phone cannot be used in Canada.  That isn't entirely effective though as many phones can have the IMEI changed, and then, the anyone can use the phone again.

How do you know it was stolen and not just lost?  I mean - did you actually catch someone reaching into your pocket, taking it, and running off?  If that happened, you could file a police report, but you're extremely unlikely to see any results from that in terms of getting your phone back. 

If your phone was simply lost/dropped/misplaced, you are at the mercy of the person finding it and that person either trying to contact you to return it, or turning it into a police station as lost property.   You can always check with a few of the closest police stations to see if anything matching the description of your property has been turned in, but if they were able to find your information on it, they would have already tried to contact you about it.  If you go that route, make sure to contact police using a non-emergency phone number, or just walk up to the station's front desk and ask. 

Your best chance at getting your phone back would be if it was lost.  Unfortunately, if it was stolen, the reality is that you're not going to get it back (it would take a small miracle) - sorry.

TeresaCornish77

My Cell phone was stolen yesterday, How would l go about getting my phone shut off so that know one else will beable to use lt, My cell phone has very important pictures on lt of my mom and dad that had passed away,Could someone please get back to me concerning this matter, As l really need my phone, Thank you

Hello @MichaelMtl

I'm sorry to hear about your phone. 

Can you please send me a private message with your Public Mobile phone number? I will look into this for you. 

Thanks, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Your username is your email address.  When you attempt to sign in there is a link for forgotten passwords.

failing this, I'm tagging @Shazia_K @Mary_M and @Saray_O to assist you.

MichaelMtl

how do i stop billing, block my emei, and service.  this is rediculous.  I called the line they said they can't help anyone with a service in the last year. what kind of thing is that.  I just want to stop everything and move forward.

how do i find out a username.  i think that might be an issue.  i have an email but no idea what username it is. if that's the case.

help!!!!!!!!!

MichaelMtl

hELP MY PHONE WAS STOLEN 4 HOURS AGO I KEPT TRYING TO LOG IN IT SAYS EMAIL NOT VALID. WHAT DO I DO. ON THE PHONE THEY CAN'T HELP ME.

I don't think PM blocks IMEI numbers of phones automatically when you report a SIM as lost/stolen. You may be able to request this from PM support specifically, however (if you still have the old IMEI and proof of ownership handy, that is).

You may contact PM support by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of this page.

LifeSaver

Hi everyone,

So i selected the lost/stolen phone option when i lost my phone.

It took 2 weeks and got another identical phone with a new sim card and activate it with the same account.

Here's the thing when i input my lost/stolen phone IMEI in the database it does not show as stolen.

It's been over 2 months now.

So how can i add the IMEI of my old phone which was lost/stolen in the canadian database?

@Jimhoang Yes, as per @Martin's post above, you should be just fine. Once you resume your plan, you will have a new due date. You will not lose your legacy plan due to non-payment because service will stay suspended until you're ready to resume it (once you have your new phone).

Jimhoang

So I have suspended my service and my due date is coming up, I don't plan on activating it till end of month with I get my new phone. Will my account be okay? As I am on the older plans. I am afraid to lose it due to account not being paid until I reactivate it again. 

Thanks fo the help. 

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

During plan suspension or for any other reason, you can go 90 days from a due date without your account being deactivated and number lost. Of course, during the period when there is no payment, there is no service. As a result, ensure that your plan has been suspended in your self-serve account. If you receive any notices to pay during the suspension, ignore them as you don't require service with your phone having been lost. When you resume paying, your new due date will be the date of payment, not the due date that you had prior to your phone being lost.

I hope that the above has been helpful.

Cheers.

ff

Thanks for sharing this imformation. the other thing I want to know is that do I need to pay for the plan fee during the suspension?

thank you very much

chukdefatey
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Oh I assure you people know, the reason why most people don't bother or care is because they know PM is a prepaid carrier so there is no way they can ruin your life over it. If it was a Post Paid account the very first thing people do is cancel there cell service because you could end up with a bill in thousands of dollars.

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

As there are some ppl who aren't aware of this, perhaps Public Mobile should make ppl aware of this, so that ppl are better educated? I encountered a person who was unaware of this, and had to direct him/her in the proper direction. This is just as important as anything else, especially if ppl are now to do all this themselves

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

If you have LOST your HANDSET, OR, your HANDSET was STOLEN, LOG INTO YOUR SELF-SERVE, Then click the Plans and Add-ons toggle, then look for the LOST/STOLEN Phone Toggle, and follow instructions to SUSPEND your ACCOUNT to PREVENT others from USING your LOST/STOLEN Handset.

ALSO, YOU SHOULD DE-LIST Your CREDIT CARD/ Visa/MC Debit to prevent further unauthorized action

Need Help? Let's chat.