cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with number

Rindiraph
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I seem to be having trouble setting up a number...bought SIM card online, unlocked phone, and tried to transfer phone number from previous carrier (Virgin Mobile). However, the account on Virgin was closed before the porting process completed, so it failed to complete. Phoned Telus (Public Mobiles parent company), they recommended that I re-activate the Virgin account and try again. Phoned Virgin to re-activate, but they would have to send me a new SIM card. Decided to just switch to a new number instead. Phoned Telus again, and was walked through setting up a new number on the Public Mobile website. That didnt work though, because there was either a message displaying that “Phone Number change failed” or I would hit “Submit” and the loading circle beside the Submit button would spin for a while and then disappear as if it worked, but the website stayed the same and the Submit button was shaded. Phoned my wife with my contact information cleared to see what my number was, because at this point I wasn’t sure what it was anymore. The caller ID displayed a number from the USA...not sure what I can do at this point...

9 REPLIES 9

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey, remember when phone numbers were 7 digits long unless you were calling long distance? Miss those days... looking at that link my area either has or is getting a 3rd area code... I already screen calls but that only makes it worse! lol

@Rindiraph wrote:

Thanks yeah, turns out it's a Canadian number according to Google, but Call display thinks it's American. Oh well. Things seem to be working fine now

Thank you! 

There isn't really anything that you can do about that. At some carriers (usually landlines) it's the receiving carrier that controls what the call display says for city/province/state/country.  I know that sometimes when making calls to toll free numbers or receiving calls from a company that dsiplays a toll free number, it will sometimes say that it's a U.S. number when it's a Canadian number. On my cell phone, I tend to think that's a Google dialer thing.

Side effect of Canada sharing the same "country code" - 1 - as the USA. Phones that don't have a specific name in their built in database for a new area code will revert to "USA" based on country code "1" ...

All all current and upcoming valid canadian area codes and prefixes can be found here though:

http://cnac.ca/co_codes/co_code_status.htm

Rindiraph

Thanks yeah, turns out it's a Canadian number according to Google, but Call display thinks it's American. Oh well. Things seem to be working fine now

Thank you! 

Drizzy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I believe that on order to port a number you have to do it while the account on old carrier is still in active status. If you are prepaid you want to start the process a few days before the plan expires in case of any delays so it will still be active for when/if you need a mods help

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rindiraph 

Without searching...iirc, that number isn't really American. I suspect it's a new area code and prefix that hasn't made it to all the lists.

Google your area code and prefix and see where it gets you. Check various sites.

Edit: @Rindiraph : the phone that says it's a us number...is it with Rogers?

@Rindiraph wrote:

Yes, it looks like my number changed from my previous number that I had with Virgin Mobile to this American number. The time looks roughly the same as when the porting request was cancelled. Also tested my incoming call capabilities, and everything seems to be working now. Just wondering now if having an American number is going to be an issue as far as fees for myself or others

What is the area code? I am surprised you have an American number with PM.

Rindiraph

Yes, it looks like my number changed from my previous number that I had with Virgin Mobile to this American number. The time looks roughly the same as when the porting request was cancelled. Also tested my incoming call capabilities, and everything seems to be working now. Just wondering now if having an American number is going to be an issue as far as fees for myself or others

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Rindiraph  was your credit card charged? Thanks. If it was, try logging into your self service account. Use this link here https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca . You will see your number in there.

Need Help? Let's chat.