cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel

Mary2798
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am planning to purchase a SIM card in England... but to use it I will need the PUK number... how to I get that? 

11 REPLIES 11

@Mary2798 wrote:

Lots of info on this subject.  My phone is Heiwai... and became unlocked when I left Rogers... when I get a European Sim... it sounds like I will be on their system, and then back on PM when I return.  Does all that sound correct? 

@Mary2798  Yes it does and you will be fine when in the UK using a local sim will not be a problem and when you get back using your PM will also not be a problem. Have a safe trip.

Mary2798

Lots of info on this subject.  My phone is Heiwai... and became unlocked when I left Rogers... when I get a European Sim... it sounds like I will be on their system, and then back on PM when I return.  Does all that sound correct? 

@srlawren wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

@Mary2798  Public Mobile does not lock customers phones

@geopublic while this statement is true, it doesn't mean that a phone cannot get locked to the Telus network when using it with Public Mobile.  For example, many Samsung models that ship unlocked will automatically lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card inserted.  So if you pulled a shiny unlocked Galaxy phone out of the box and plugged in your PM SIM card, it may well have locked itself to the Telus network.  

@srlawren Noted and I'm quite aware of how it works.Smiley Happy and my statement is still 100% correct. A Samsung is not a good example because it can always be unlocked by going to their website and getting it unlocked via a chat session almost instantly.

I think it would be best if you brought this fact to the attention of the OP as @stonechucker has done warning the OP that their device might be locked and they might not be able to use it in the UK rather than this post.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic wrote:

@Mary2798  Public Mobile does not lock customers phones

@geopublic while this statement is true, it doesn't mean that a phone cannot get locked to the Telus network when using it with Public Mobile.  For example, many Samsung models that ship unlocked will automatically lock themselves to the network of the first SIM card inserted.  So if you pulled a shiny unlocked Galaxy phone out of the box and plugged in your PM SIM card, it may well have locked itself to the Telus network.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

PM doesn't lock the phones, but if you came from Koodo or Telus previously (with this phone) you *may* to see if it is currently locked to the network (test with a Rogers or Bell or Freedom sim).

If it is locked, you'll see a message about needing a code.  Koodo and/or Telus locked devices are usable here, as it's the same parent company.

@Mary2798 wrote:

I want to buy a new SIM card while travelling in Europe, then put my public mobile card back when I return to Canada. 

@Mary2798 That will not be an issue. Since your phone has already all the required PM apn info when you return simply insert your PM card and everything should start working as before you left.

You can do that.  You may need to reset APN settings for PM when you return.

Mary2798

I want to buy a new SIM card while travelling in Europe, then put my public mobile card back when I return to Canada. 

@Mary2798  a PUK code and a code to unlock a network locked phone is different what are you looking for.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Mary2798  Public Mobile does not lock customers phones, so you have nothing to worry about.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Mary2798 wrote:

I am planning to purchase a SIM card in England... but to use it I will need the PUK number... how to I get that? 

You get the PUK from the sim card provider.  There is nothing PM can do about a code from another provider.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.