cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Travel to U.S from Canada

@derekt wrote:

Thank you. 

I might go with the US Roaming Bundle. It has Talk Text and 250 of Data (10-day). 250 MB of data is more than enough. It does not say unlimited talk but it does not say a limit either. Is it unlimited talk? 

It's unlimited.

So now you engage with the thought from GinYVR where texting gets screwy after it expires.

So buy the add-on shortly before you leave. Return to Canada. Message the moderators when you're returning to Canada to ask them to remove the add-on. Then they can get the few days to remove it before the texting on the 11th day screws up your normal texting.

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am heading to P.E.I from Toronto. I am planning to go via Maine and New Brusick etc want my phone to work the whole way. I might not be able to get on the internet to message a moderator. Could this get confusing? 

Mayor / Maire

@derekt wrote:

At the end of August I will be travelling to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and then on to New Bruswick, Canada. Total time in the U.S will be 4 days. I need to be able to talk to my family in Canada from the U.S. as well as have data just to check my messages, nothing major. What is the add-on plan(s) I should get ? Should I activate a few days before? Thank You. 

@derekt  I would recommend getting the 1GB US data addon. Once in the US you will be able to recieve texts and possibly incoming calls without a US roaming talk & text plan. For outgoing calls you can use Google Hangouts dialer or similar via data. Since you have data Google Duo is also a good choice.

I think this has gotten very complicated, as everyone cares to make sure you have all the info.

The majority of folks who use the US roaming will have the sms issue when returning, but if you know this now, you can prepare yourself and those who need to contact you to use email or simply call on that period of time.

Not sure how much data you use, the all in one roaming bundle should be enough for 4 days travel, if you’re not downloading a lot.

getting the 1MB data roaming, and the talk and text roaming would also be usable if you are data heavy.

Is there a number I can call? It will take me 8 hours to get to the U.S border, so if I turn on before I leave my house, my Canada SMS would be affected. I will then have to stop before entering the U.S and take my laptop out go to the site and enable data and then wait for how long for it to be activated? Then before entering back to Canada I will have to message a moderator to have them turn it off?  Am I getting this correct? 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@derektSorry there is no number you can call. SMS affects you once you return from Canada.

Would talk be affected at anytime? I could manage without sms until I get my laptop setup to message the moderators. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@derektYou can always send a message to the moderators ahead of time while you are in the US and tell them you are returning so and so date etc.. just note they usually take up to 48 hours to acknowledge your message. Apparently this bug only affects the add ons but not the $60 plan.

Mayor / Maire

@derekt wrote:

Would talk be affected at anytime? I could manage without sms until I get my laptop setup to message the moderators. 

@derekt  Talk is not affected. What plan are you currently on? When is you next renewal? Maybe if you plan renews before you leave switch to the $60 plan so  it will cover all your Canada and US needs and then switch back to your old plain when you get back.

Is it ok to switch  like this? This would be a better option