cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Travel to U.S from Canada

At the end of August I will be travelling to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and then on to New Bruswick, Canada. Total time in the U.S will be 4 days. I need to be able to talk to my family in Canada from the U.S. as well as have data just to check my messages, nothing major. What is the add-on plan(s) I should get ? Should I activate a few days before? Thank You. 

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Travel to U.S from Canada

usdata.PNGusroaming.PNG

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The applicable add ons are pointed out. As to when you should activate, it's up to you. You'll be covered since the add-ons last for 10 days and you'll be in the States for 4.

Just keep in mind: the clock starts for the add on as soon as you add it to your account. I'd definitely add it shortly before you go, though, not the day of. 

The add ons are 10 days, so I would definately set it up 72 hours in advance in case you have to iron anything out with the moderators.

If the 250MB, would work for you the $20 plan should make things easy. But if you need more data, the $8 calling plan and the appropriate addition of data, might be your best option. Make sure you get the calling add on and not the texting add on as they are the same price and I've seen people make that mistake before.

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

You can buy a US roaming add-on which is valid for 10 days after purchase.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

@derektIn addition after you return from US, your service voice / SMS service might be disrupted for 24 hours. It is a well known bug, if you need service immediately when you return you would want to let the Moderators know ahead of time (response time can take up to 48 hours).

Mayor / Maire

@derekt wrote:

At the end of August I will be travelling to New York State, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine and then on to New Bruswick, Canada. Total time in the U.S will be 4 days. I need to be able to talk to my family in Canada from the U.S. as well as have data just to check my messages, nothing major. What is the add-on plan(s) I should get ? Should I activate a few days before? Thank You. 

If you only need talk and data then just buy those individually.

If you just need the odd bit of data then use wifi at coffee shops or hotels and don't even bother with cell data.

Oddly, I found last January that I could receive calls without a roaming add-on. But no calling out.

When at that coffee shop or hotel you could use other calling apps that use wifi for the call. It'll be internet sound and possible choppiness but no cost.

Buying any add-on is a little non-intuitive. It seems like you're buying the add-on but you're actually just initially adding money. After that then you need to buy the add-on.

The US add-on starts day 1 the day you buy it up to midnight ET. Not time 0 and not 24 hours to the next "day".

I did not know this. @z10user4 

The US add-on starts day 1 the day you buy it up to midnight ET. Not time 0 and not 24 hours to the next "day".

Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you. 

I might go with the US Roaming Bundle. It has Talk Text and 250 of Data (10-day). 250 MB of data is more than enough. It does not say unlimited talk but it does not say a limit either. Is it unlimited talk? 

I believe it is unlimited talk and unlimited international text. @derekt