cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The old $45 plan

sebby
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been a PM customer for a long time.  Right now I am on the plan below.

Isn't it a bad deal considering what they are offering right now?

$45 Canada-wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data

This also includes:Unlimited Canada-wide Long Distance Unlimited global text messaging and picture messaging in Canada & the US Voicemail Call Forwarding Call Display Call Waiting Conference Calling 1GB of Data

11 REPLIES 11

@Tony8 wrote:

Hi. Public Mobile just lowered the price on the unlimited Canada calling/unlimited Text/.5Gb+.5Gb bonus Data (3G speed) to $25. I think it's a good deal.

Which, going to LTE light, would bring the plan in the op down to $19. ($25 - $2 auto pay - $4 loyalty)

@Tony8, yes, it's a great little package.  Note, however, the speed is lower than the full speed plan you're on now.

Personally, I don't get the full speed of LTE on my device (I'm on a FULL LTE plan), my speeds tend to be in the range of the 3G speeds experienced by others.  I am currently thinking of changing to the plan.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi. Public Mobile just lowered the price on the unlimited Canada calling/unlimited Text/.5Gb+.5Gb bonus Data (3G speed) to $25. I think it's a good deal.

I have modified my chart from January 2018 and have adjusted it for ready made plans... Hope it makes sense and I haven't missed anything.

This chart is for information purposes for legacy customers only.

As a community member I've put this together to the best of my knowledge and I believe it to be accurate as of March 10/2019. I'm not responsible for any inaccuracies or any changes in offered in-market plans by Public Mobile. 

Do your own homework before making any decisions.

Notes:

* As Public Mobile legacy customer, you'll loose phone support as of March 17/2019. So, if phone support is important to you, you might be better served by either switching to Koodo or looking around for comparable offers by the competition (if you do the later you'll loose any available funds in your account at the time of account transfer).

* If you don't change your plan actively in your self serve account, you'll keep your current legacy plan, but will receive rewards starting on the next renewal after March 17/2019.

* You can earn more rewards by referring people (sorry, referrals before the switch can't be applied retroactively - info in thread linked above) and participating in the community.

* For even more options please spend some time playing with the plan builder.

legacy-to-inmarket-0319.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

@will13am wrote:

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Tony8 wrote:

Hi, it seems you will get the same service with the $30 Plan. If you switched you would save $15 every 30 days. About $180/year extra cash in your pocket.

It is not the same. That old plan is fast LTE data.

I would argue that it is the same.  I invite anyone to bring up a real world example of a situation where 1GB of usage spread over 30 days must be consumed at full speed LTE data rate otherwise the user experience is unacceptable.  If you give examples like streaming 4k video, I am going to ask you also to include an estimate of how many minutes of video 1GB of data offers and what is a reasonable way to ration that usage over 30 days.

BTW, I am not bringing up these points because I am a shill for 3G speed plans.  I don't condone this behavior of manipulating the market to make it look like it costs a lot more to deliver data at faster speeds and so consumers must pay more for it.  I am a shill for saving money/chasing value.  If that is the game the carriers want to play, then don't give them a single red cent for faster data speed.

A philosophical standpoint as opposed to a straight fact.

Where's that popcorn? 🙂

@cavemantoronto wrote:

@Tony8 wrote:

Hi, it seems you will get the same service with the $30 Plan. If you switched you would save $15 every 30 days. About $180/year extra cash in your pocket.

I would argue that it is the same.  I invite anyone to bring up a real world example of a situation where 1GB of usage spread over 30 days must be consumed at full speed LTE data rate otherwise the user experience is unacceptable.  If you give examples like streaming 4k video, I am going to ask you also to include an estimate of how many minutes of video 1GB of data offers and what is a reasonable way to ration that usage over 30 days.

BTW, I am not bringing up these points because I am a shill for 3G speed plans.  I don't condone this behavior of manipulating the market to make it look like it costs a lot more to deliver data at faster speeds and so consumers must pay more for it.  I am a shill for saving money/chasing value.  If that is the game the carriers want to play, then don't give them a single red cent for faster data speed.

@Tony8 wrote:

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@sebby wrote:

This also includes:Unlimited Canada-wide Long Distance Unlimited global text messaging and picture messaging in Canada & the US Voicemail Call Forwarding Call Display Call Waiting Conference Calling 1GB of Data

Is this a legacy plan? If so, you should read the following article re: discontinuation of the call centre: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Effective-March-17-Legacy-customer-will... and your options: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/serviceupdate

Personally, I see a couple of in-market plans that would be better value for you***:

- if 1GB of data is enough for your usage pattern:

* $30 for 1GB LTE light (aka 3G speed - the throttled LTE connection works well for any application exept HD streaming or online gaming), including auto pay bonus data https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/30for500MB-3Gspeed

* $47 for 1GB full LTE, available in the plan builder (this would be eligible for rewards, see note below)

- if you are ok with continuing spending $45 but want more data:

* 6.5GB of LTE light (includes auto pay bonus data) https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/45for6GB-3Gspeed

* 2 GB of full LTE ($47): https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/plans/45for2GB-4GLTE

(You'd be dropping down to province wide calling, which, if you only use Canada wide talk occasionally, could be supplemented with the $15/400 (or $8/200) non-expiring long distance minutes)

*** I have not applied any rewards in this list. If you switch to an in-market plan you will be eligible for rewards (per 30days): $2 auto pay reward for having your credit card on file, I believe $5 (could be four, depending on when you joined) loyalty reward as well as referral rewards if you start referring your friends (sorry, can't be applied retro-actively) and community rewards if you continue to hang out here and help your fellow customers.

Tony8
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@sebby wrote:

It really depends on your cell requirements to determine if it a good deal or not. If you don't need more than 1GB of data...you could probably save $10 with a cheaper 3G plan. Have a look through the plan menues to decide what is best...for you. Good luck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sebby wrote:

How much of a deal it is, is up to you to decide.

You can do a future change to any of the plans you see offered (other than for new customers).

No company will just drop you down to a lower cost plan out of the goodness of their hearts.

Need Help? Let's chat.