cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texts not working when not on wifi

LauraGates
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello!  

For some reason, the last 2 weeks I can only send texts when I'm on wifi.  I can always receive them.  

I'm on the $40 per 30 days plan with Unlimited International Texts.  I'm using an iPhone 5s.  

Everything stopped when I used up all of my data.  I've since added more data, but the texts still aren't sending.

I've reset the phone with no difference.  Ideas?

3 REPLIES 3

ooakosiryan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@LauraGates wrote:

Hello!  

For some reason, the last 2 weeks I can only send texts when I'm on wifi.  I can always receive them.  

I'm on the $40 per 30 days plan with Unlimited International Texts.  I'm using an iPhone 5s.  

Everything stopped when I used up all of my data.  I've since added more data, but the texts still aren't sending.

I've reset the phone with no difference.  Ideas?

If the people you're trying to text have iPhones as well and you usually send them iMessages, your phone might still be trying to send them iMessages and failing without wifi now that you've used up all your data.

Not sure if this is what's happening, but just in case you can turn off iMessage by going to Settings > Messages. Once iMessage is off, it will stop attempting to send iMessages and just send SMS texts, which should work.

Good luck!! Hope you figure this thing out!

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@LauraGates WiFi has nothing to do with sending sms. What is happening is that your iPhone is sending iMessages to other iphones when you are on WiFi. Try disabling iMessage and then send a text or try sending to someone with any other phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@LauraGates, are you referring to iMessages and not SMS?  SMS does not require mobile data or WiFi data. 

Need Help? Let's chat.