cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Text from PM: "Your new PIN is..."

mourogers
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just recieved two texts from Public Mobile, each containing a new PIN. I didn't request a new PIN — is someone trying to access my account?

17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mourogers wrote:

Thanks all, looks like a phishing attempt. Text wasn't from 611.

Good to hear that's all it was.

As with texts as with emails...always look at the from, the to and the subject. It's not always just about the body.

ok I can put my gun away lol

mourogers

Thanks all, looks like a phishing attempt. Text wasn't from 611.

PM100
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

So the text says its from "611" ? So if it turns out to be a phishing text then now i learn that text messages can be spoofed ?  

Oops... let's not jump the gun.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonechucker wrote:

Let's jump the gun.

Is the gun firing while jumping it? You go first. 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@mourogers, have you just activated today (or very recently)?

I activated a new plan 31 days ago, and when I did, I got two messages back to back straight from PM, saying :

Your new PIN is #*@^

Your new PIN #*6+

This is usual, however strange it may seem.

The second PIN listed was the PIN I entered when activation.

If you just got a random single PIN (which isn't yours) recently, then you have an issue to deal.  Let's not jump the gun.

Thanks z10... fixed 😉

looks like he registered in January

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mourogers wrote:

I just recieved two texts from Public Mobile, each containing a new PIN. I didn't request a new PIN — is someone trying to access my account?

It is normal if you just activated your account.

The first PIN is a random generated PIN by PM just in case your did not supply a PIN during activation.

The second PIN should be the one you provided during your activation process.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@mourogers wrote:

@mourogers  If you have a CC on file dial 611 and fund your account with $1 using your existing PIN if it works then you can ignore those messages because they are probably a phishing scam. If that is the case block that number and report as spam.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GinYVR wrote:

@mourogersin case it is a phishing scam.. don't click on any of the links in the text either.

If the text has anything else other than a PIN then it wouldn't be real. So yes that's a good way of differentiating.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@mourogersin case it is a phishing scam.. don't click on any of the links in the text either.

Send a private message to a moderator click this link and describe your issue.

Community Moderators are available from Monday-Friday 8 am(Eastern) to 12 am(Eastern) and Saturday, and Sunday from 8 am(Eastern) to 10 pm(Eastern)

mourogers

Thanks — how do I reach the mods?

RossN
Mayor / Maire

yea sounds odd change password right now and contact moderators

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mourogers wrote:

Is the PIN shown your PIN?

I'd jump on this right now. Change your password for the self-serve anyway. Send a message to the mods.

Call your number from another phone see what happens. Call that phone from your phone see what happens.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@mourogersYeppers!

Need Help? Let's chat.