cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching existing PM cell number to another SIM card

PublicMob438
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am inheriting a Samsung phone with a PM sim card in it. My phone is an old Moto and the SIM card is not compatible with the Samsung. Is there a form somewhere to tell PM tech support the SIM card number in my Samsung phone and to get them to transfer my old Moto phone number to the Samsung SIM. Thanks for any advice. 

14 REPLIES 14

Hello @PublicMob438 ,

It sounds like you do not need a new SIM card but only need to accommodate the housing of the phone you want to use.

If the only issue is having a different size SIM card than the solution can be to:

1. Snap out the outer parts to fit OR
  2. add on the outer parts to fit (any cell phone provider or kiosk will likely have some in the trash or spares they could give out for free).

esjliv_0-1603577624495.png

Regardless, if you already changed you SIM card number in your SELF SERVE account, you cannot go back to the previous SIM card, since a SIM that was once used cannot be used again.

Good luck with everything!

@PublicMob438 

If you do have to purchase a new sim card be sure to save the housing from the different sizes in case you need to use the sim in the old phone or another phone, Or if you only need the housing going to london drugs or TMS and asking if they have the leftover housing from some one elses sim card that they can give you.....usually they are pretty good about giving it if they have it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicMob438: something doesn't add up. This is not the best way to accomplish what you seemed to have wanted to do. It's one way. Just not the best way.

PublicMob438

Thanks but as explained, I am already a PM customer and just needed to switch to a new sim. The "CHANGE SIMCARD" in my PM account is the correct answer for existing customers to change to a newer phone that has a different size SIM card. Thanks for all your suggestions. 

@esjliv 

You have correctly identified what @PublicMob438 is asking of the community.

@PublicMob438 

What you really need to do is ask your provider* what to do which is likely what @Anonymous has suggested but with your providers sim card or a newly purchased one. If as @esjliv has asked you have inherited a pm plan you my want to keep it especially if it has accumulated rewards and/or has a sought after grandfathered plan like the $10 50/50 plan or the $60 Canada/US roaming plan.

*If it isn't pm otherwise purchase a new sim at a retail location or order a $1.99 to $2.99 one from CCS and use our old phone til it arrives in about 5 business days then change the sim card from within your account.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob438 wrote:

I am inheriting a Samsung phone with a PM sim card in it. My phone is an old Moto and the SIM card is not compatible with the Samsung. Is there a form somewhere to tell PM tech support the SIM card number in my Samsung phone and to get them to transfer my old Moto phone number to the Samsung SIM. Thanks for any advice. 

The request here is a little foggy.

1. get them to transfer my old Moto phone number.
    • What provider are you on for your "old Moto phone number"?
  2. When you said "inheriting a Samsung phone "
    • Did you also inherit their Public Mobile plan and phone number?

I hear ya, @esjliv 

I was fooled by the initial post.

I believe the OP has a Samsung they want to use, and the Moto is the old phone.

What is uncertain is how many SIM's are in play here, and whether the OP wants to simply swap out phones, or swap out SIM's or some combination of both.

EDIT:   @esjliv , I think it's possible @Anonymous is on the right track and this is simply a SIM sizing inquiry that involves just using (or removing) the necessary SIM sizing adapters.   I hope for the OP that's all it is.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob438  wait a sec....it is the Moto phone you want to use.

Okay.

1st - why doesn't the Samsung work? What model it is?
2nd - just insert the Samsung SIM into the Moto phone. Are they the same size slot? 

@PublicMob438 wrote:

Hey! I found the answer in my account under CHANGE SIM CARD. 

For the SIM card in the Samsung phone, was it used before by the person who gave it to you?  If it was, it cannot be used again and you wouldn't be able to assign your phone number to a used SIM card.

Oh @PublicMob438 , wasn't sure if that was what you were seeking to do based on the content of your initial post.

That's great to know, if what you discovered worked!!!

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob438 , Are you a Public Mobile customer? If so just insert your PM SIM card into the Samsung phone.

Reboot it after you insert it. All good ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PublicMob438 wrote:

Is that PM SIM card in the inherited phone currently active on an active account?

Depending on how long ago you got your PM SIM, they're tri-punch meaning you can snap out the smaller size from the larger frame. Or carefully snap the smaller back in to the larger if you have the pieces. And you can get the larger frame pieces.

Edit: Don't change SIM! You can just move it around between phones.

PublicMob438

Hey! I found the answer in my account under CHANGE SIM CARD. 

[OK, found it yourself 👍..... Luddite]

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@PublicMob438  

It sounds like you may need to message the Public Mobile customer service staff regarding your range of questions.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

Need Help? Let's chat.