cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone using my number to call USA numbers

tasmariah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Dear Community members,

People are calling back to my number from different parts of USA. I never called anyone in USA. I am not sure as to how this has happened. My phone is always locked with passcode and I am using Iphone 6 plus.

Shall I be charged for these calls ? How can I stop this issue.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15

tasmariah

Thank you 

there is nothing you can do to avoid incoming call.. just like you.. you can just randomly key in any number and the recipients can't do anything..

if this just happened.. likely you have joined something.. put down your number online and it got pickup or where you put down your number is "selling" your number

if this is a new number, then it might be a recycled number. 

btw, the title is very misleading.... 

It's very easy to make whatever number you want to show on people's caller ID using various VoIP providers nowadays... Unfortunately some spam caller happened to randomly choose yours for a batch of calls. Hopefully it dies off soon...

It's only an annoyance and shouldn't mean there's any risk or compromise of your account.

Incoming calls are always unlimited with current Public Mobile plans, so you can answer the people who think you called them all you want... or forward them elsewhere...

tasmariah

@kselmak thanks a lot

tasmariah

@NeoAnderson Thanks a lot !

@tasmariah 

If you didn't make calls your long distance minutes will not be affected

Most likely somebody is spoofing your number, they use a piece of software to call and they put your number as display.

Nobody can be protected from this, good news is that it usually lasts curry short, you may be getting call backs for one or two days, lots of total strangers will block your number. 

NeoAnderson

Likely a spammer who has cloned your number because you are not making the calls. Nothing you can do about this except change your number if the incoming calls become unbearable. As far as charges to your account - No calls are being made so not a concern. Your phone would show any outgoing for example if you were a serial pocket dialer.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@tasmariah or if you are getting random calls from the States, basically telemarketers, basically you can put your number on the Do not call List.

I do not know how reliable that is. I recently been getting calls to my phone spoofing the same prefix of the first 6 digits of my number two weeks ago. I have been pretending to be a fax line when I pick it up. The calls stopped calling this week. WHew.

I also get my little kid or I listen in on the call when they try to sell me something. I let them tell me the spiel, and talk endlessly with them, and say, sorry I have to go now. And hang up. They sometimes call back and yell at me. And I say, who is this again? I mess people up on that one!

Or sometimes, I answer the phone, and I crank up the stereo really loud. They hang up on the phone pretty quickly on that one. I mean who wants to listen to Justin Bieber!

Or, I also answer the call as a business. I normally use a business that was closed or a current business. Hello, this is Telus, how can I help you. Hello, this is Telus...click! hehe or Oh sorry, this is who? Telus, a telephone company, how can I direct your call? Click!

Or you can call block the numbers on your phone. But, that'll mean you be filling up your phone. 

Basically, mess them up. I would normally get calls every six months, but it eventually stops. My wife was getting it, and I picked up her celly, and pretended to be a fax line, they never called back! 

@tasmariah wrote:

Thank you for quick response. Will be I charged for these false outgoing calls ?

@tasmariah Do you see a record of these "out going" calls in your self serve call history? If not, then there were no calls done from your account. No cost involved. Ignore the incoming calls.

tasmariah

thank you for your support

ashleyskye
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Is it possible that some scammer is spoofing your number? You said people are calling you back. Does your self-serve account show any charges for outgoing calls? I would discuss this situation with a moderator, and report it to the Canada Anti-Fraud Centre

tasmariah

Thank you for quick response. Will be I charged for these false outgoing calls ?

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@tasmariah wrote:

Dear Community members,

People are calling back to my number from different parts of USA. I never called anyone in USA. I am not sure as to how this has happened. My phone is always locked with passcode and I am using Iphone 6 plus.

Shall I be charged for these calls ? How can I stop this issue.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

@tasmariah Very misleading title when I read your description. If it's people calling you, do as suggested by @Luddite . If indeed someone is in fact using your account do as directed by @mpcdesign . As an aside, good idea to edit your post and remove your full name. Best not to post any personal details on these forums.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@tasmariah  No charges for incoming calls unless you are on the old $10 plan.

They cannot be stopped so never answer and just block them.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

mpcdesign
Mayor / Maire

@tasmariah in your headline, you said someone is using my number to call USA numbers.
If that was the case, I would probably set my account to lost and stolen and reach out to the moderator team asap and explain the situation!

Two methods to contact a moderator:

1. 1. Ticketing system. Ask SIMon. This is the preferred method as it is supposed to be the fastest method on earth!

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator or click on this link, to take you to the SIMon too  chat.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

or

2 Send a private message to moderator through the following link :

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.