cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sims card/ plans / phones

Patrick_R
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wondering why public mobile charges 10.00 for a sim card when Rogers stores gave them out for free.

Will Public Mobile match a freedom plan?

Where is the best place to get a phone with a public mobile contract. Ie mobile stores in great canadian superstores?

8 REPLIES 8

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Patrick_R wrote:

Just wondering why public mobile charges 10.00 for a sim card when Rogers stores gave them out for free.

Where is the best place to get a phone with a public mobile contract. Ie mobile stores in great canadian superstores?

Just to add to the answers already is that yes PM charges $10 for a sim sometimes they have retail promos that offer free sims but if you have a referral you will get a $10 credit that offsets the cost of the sim card.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@Patrick_R, it's bring (or buy) your device here.  Public Mobile is a prepaid carrier, with no tabs or contracts for phones.

30-day or 90-day cycles, renew if you wish to continue, or walk away after your plan ends.

Generally, plans stay the same for a long period of time, promos come and go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Public Mobile is purely a "bring your own phone" kind of place.

Lots of places to pick up inexpensive phones that would not be locked that would work here.

Patrick_R

So buying a phone from these stores not a good deal since pubic mobile does not offer 2 yr contracts to get a free phone?

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

It was not a corporate store guy gave me 4 sim cards for free

It was not rogers, it was some guy.

Rogers does not give free.

Rogers charges you $10 for a sim.

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

There are no contracts here at Public Mobile, and there are no phones.

What you can do is go to WOW-Mobile, or London Drugs, or Walmart, or the Mobile Shop, and purchase your $10 sim, and choose a plan that you wish to activate.  You can do it in store, or buy the sim, and activate at home.

You can also buy a phone from these stores, looking for one associated with Telus or Koodo (in case it locks to your sim) or from Bell, Virgin or Lucky, as they're all on the same shared Telus and Bell network across the country.

$10 is nothing for a sim, considering it's $30 for most of the carriers.  And the plans you see are what you get - Freedom's service coverage is small compared to the joint Telus and Bell network.

Patrick_R

It was not a corporate store guy gave me 4 sim cards for free

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Patrick_R wrote:

@Patrick_R  When did rogers give out sim cards for free? That was if you paid for an activation fee, or signed up for a contract. If you get one of their pre-paid plans you have to pay outright for the sim card.

Public mobile does not match other carriers, but will occasionally release a competitive response.

Public mobile does not have contracts. Public mobile does not sell phones. It's up to you where to get the phone. As long as its unlocked or locked to a partnet network like koodo, and the phone supports the bell and telus network tech you can go anywhere.

Need Help? Let's chat.