cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent a text to 4 digit number?

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Screenshot_20201020-144548~3.jpg

Bizarre.  I just happen to check my history and according to this today I SENT a text to a four digit number? I didn't!

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

zomba
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

its a normal if you have Android phone.

@rossputin wrote:

Yup.  7723.

Thanks.

Solution for this post was "revoking the SMS permission on the Phone app "

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Self-Serve/Usage-error-Outgoing-Texts/m-p/506988

@rossputin wrote:

Yup.  7723.

Thanks.

@rossputin you're welcome.  As you have unlimited text messaging, you may just ignore it because now you know it is just Google, or as I suggested above, manually deny Google from using sms.  Cheers!

rossputin
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Yup.  7723.

Thanks.

@rossputin wrote:

Bizarre.  I just happen to check my history and according to this today I SENT a text to a four digit number? I didn't!

Any ideas?

Some devices send an outgoing text messages to Google, Apple (or other device manufactuer) whenever the device is turned on/restarted. I would not worry about it if you have unlimited text messaging. Unfortunately, if an app has permission to send SMS, it could send any message somewhere without your knowledge. I once had a Nokia device that would do that without asking after a factory reset. My carrier at the time classifed it as an internernational message and billed me for it. Fortunately, there are no pay-per-use charges at Public Mobile.

RosieR
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin wrote:

Any ideas?

Hi @rossputin we cannot read the 4-digit number on your image.  If it was 7723, you must have an android like me.  Android phone that uses the Google dialer and it's trying to look for Visual Voicemail and using up texts in the process.  It will do this every time the user reboots their phone, unless they do the permissions change.  I would go to the phone properties, click Privacy, click Permission Manager, click SMS, then deny Google from using SMS.

I hope this helps.  Cheers!

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin  maybe you texted a short code? 

I believe 4 digit short codes in Canada are reserved for Canadian carriers to use on their own network.

Example public mobile sends texts from a few numbers like 5124, 5412,5169,7626, etc.

Maybe you accidentally replied to a text?

What's the 4 digits?

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@rossputin turn your phone off and then try calling it to see if it rings on the other end. if it does let us now

Helpershelper
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@rossputin 

I can understand your frustration with this. Some apps have access to SMS permissions on android, so I’d have a look at app permissions first.

Need Help? Let's chat.