cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self Service form for porting

ChrisL
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I successfully located the form under Self Service to commence the porting action.

On that form, I see a couple of references to a Reseller: "Reseller name" and "Old Account Password".  I'm not sure if I need to fill out either of those.  I did in fact set up that other phone number via a reseller, with Telus (it's a land line) as the Service Provider.  Since setup however, I have nothing further to do with the reseller, and bill/account are all done directly with Telus.  So question 1:

I'm guessing that I don't need to bother even mentioning the reseller?

And the "Old Account Password" - not sure which context this is.  I do have a password to access my Telus account line (for billing and usage that is).  Question 2 is:

Does Public Mobile require this information to complete the porting action?

And finally, my assumption is that the existing number I have will be supplanted by the number I port over from Telus, and it will go back into the pool of available numbers (after "resting" for a little while)?  (that was question 3 😉

10 REPLIES 10

ChrisL

Let me know if you can find the pvt msg.  Sent to the moderator team inbox, subject was "Failure on self serve port".  Lots of my personal details in it.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi there! @ChrisL

Can you please send us a private message with your account information (phone# and PIN#) for assistance? 

Thank you!

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ChrisL might be a glitch, then.  @CS_Agent could you please look into this?  The Change Phone Number page in self-service should not be asking for reseller information!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

ChrisL

@srlawren @will13am I accessed the form by logging into My Account, chose the Plan and Add-ons tab, and under that chose the Change Phone Number tab.  This results in a simply query of validating your desired phone number (the new one).  If it passes the validation, the form pops up.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@will13am wrote:

@ChrisL, I don't recall the porting screen had any questions abour reseller.  In fact, the screen has nothing about the service provider which is holding the number you wish to port.  All it needs one of three items to ID your ownership to the phone number you wish to port.  You can use the existing account number associated with the number you wish to port, the IMEI of the phone that was last used with the number you wish to port or the account PIN associated with the number you wish to port.

@will13am could @ChrisL have stumbled into the portal that Walmart/WoW/K-Mobile use for activations, perhaps?  (aka for resellers).  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe that the the activation system asks you if you you are porting a wireless or landline phone number.  Something such as IMEI wouldnt' be valid for a landline transfers such as this, from what I've read in the past, the Public Mobile system will be asking for the billing address of the landline of the old provider (Telus in this case).

According to CWTA,  for landline to wireless carrier phone number trasfers,  you will need: "the telephone number, the account holder’s name and the service address."

https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wireless-number-portability/#4

ChrisL

Thanks to all of you, @Lg85, @Anonymous and @will13am, very helpful answers from all of you.

Once again, I have to say this Community is remarkably supportive and helpful.  So appreciated.

Chris

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@ChrisL, I don't recall the porting screen had any questions abour reseller.  In fact, the screen has nothing about the service provider which is holding the number you wish to port.  All it needs one of three items to ID your ownership to the phone number you wish to port.  You can use the existing account number associated with the number you wish to port, the IMEI of the phone that was last used with the number you wish to port or the account PIN associated with the number you wish to port.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ChrisL, to add onto what @Lg85 mentioned, Yes, your current number will go back into the pool of numbers and be available to someone else after some sort of 'rest' period.

Lg85
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Hi @ChrisL

If I remember correctly, you just need to fill in one of the three questions regarding your previous account. You don't need to answer all 3 in order to port to Public Mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.