cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scam Call to 705-780-4001 from my number - Is Public Mobile Secure with what security features?

Yiatiohi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Even though I have never used a single voice minute with my new, just registered PM $10 plan have noticed that it shows an out going call to (705) 780-4001. When I googled this number I discovered that this number is a known SCAM number.  Concerned that possibly Public Mobile is not that secure and open to Scammers hacking and using our numbers? Has anyone looked into the security of Public Mobile,  and what security features are in place?

18 REPLIES 18

Heep2003
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

What the other individual said about it being voicemail is 100% true. I called my old number and it went directly to voicemail and that showed up on my activity. I also called that number and it goes directly to a voicemail system to check your messages from another device apparently

Go into your account and change your number.

Heep2003

Well then somebody should teach that to your mods because they're flat out telling me I'm lying @Lucian_G 

@Heep2003 wrote:

Over a year and this is happening to me now. Has Public Mobile done ANYTHING to protect their customers? Or is it their own scam to ensure you're "using their services" so they don't have to refund your money when you inevitably leave for a better provider?

The topic discusseed in this thread any isn't about any type of scam. This usage entry only means that someone called your phone number and was sent to voicemail.

Heep2003

I should add that I haven't used PM since July, at which time I destroyed my sim (for fear of something like this happening!)

So how does this even happen when the sim isn't even in a phone??

Heep2003

Over a year and this is happening to me now. Has Public Mobile done ANYTHING to protect their customers? Or is it their own scam to ensure you're "using their services" so they don't have to refund your money when you inevitably leave for a better provider?

In the call logs, ougoing calls will show up to the voicemail deposit number any time an incomig call reaches your voicemail inbox.  This does not mean that you phone has placed an outgoing call.  if your phone is turned off, has no signal, or if you decide not to answer any call, your call usage history will show an outgoing call.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Yiatiohi did you call your voicemail or any reason? maybe when your sim card gets inserted it calls your voicemail once to test it out

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Are you using an iPhone? It is common for iPhone users to have these issues.

I have my credit card with them and haven't had a problem just like tens of thousands others but if you don't want to that's your choice. You may want to consider this company is owned and operated by Telus so if you don't trust PM you also don't trust Telus or koodo (also owned by Telus)

Yiatiohi

But who is calling my voice mail from my phone? Gremlins perhaps??

Yiatiohi

My phone with PM is actually turned off and I am now using my other phone with Bell Plan — just booted up my phone with PM and wow — wow it shows additional minutes for calls I never made and also 3 additional texts I never made.  Scary situation— in view of all this I would really think twice before I give my credit card details  

jp2

Outgoing texts are u using an iPhone? I cloud?

Yiatiohi

LOL resending my previous response because of my careless spelling mistakes LOL .

I didn't know this, but who called my voicemail? Is this perhaps done automatically when one first registers? Also noticed many outgoing texts that I did not sent BUT the Moderators credited these back to me.

Yiatiohi

@stonechucker wrote:

@Yiatiohi, that is the local calling number for your voicemail.  It is not a scam.

I didn't know this, but who called my voicemail? Is this perhaps done automaticaly when one first registeres? Also noticed many outgoin texts that I did not sent BUT these were credited back to me by the Moderators.

cork99

if u get a scammer  like that scam him back. say rotten stuff back like i do lol they never call me back i tell them off rhe fake cra calls

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@Yiatiohi, that is the local calling number for your voicemail.  It is not a scam.

MacMe

Do you see the outgoing call in your phone's call history?  Or is it in the 

usage history of self serve? Or both?

Need Help? Let's chat.