cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off data

Bbqbill
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Why am I getting ripped off my data public mobile says I've used 8.5 gigs when my phone says I've only used 6.06gugs of data and my phone is complely accurate

14 REPLIES 14

@gpixel 

Are you doing lots of messaging with videos and pictures. All that data back and forth is included in your messaging, your phone would measure it but pm meter wouldn't put it against your usage. 

That is the only way I could explain it.

@BearFBI yeah, idk why it's so far off... but i feel better everytime I login to my self serve and see my real data usage

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gpixelif I remember you have a Google Pixel right ? Im surprised googles data tracking software is inaccurate. My S10 seems to track data perfectly. Sometimes it can be a few MB ahead.

@geopublic pretty accurate wow within 0.11 mb I would say thats bang on. 

@Bbqbill Public Mobiles usage is very accurate, it is probably an issue at your phone. @

Maybe try different usage-tracking software? You probably don't even need to uninstall whatever existing software was packaged into the OS, run them both simultaneously to compare results, although there might be a performance impact.

I've heard that certain OEM usage trackers don't count silent updates, background data, various forms of data telemetry, and other "hidden" data usage. I can't personally confirm/deny this - since I refuse to own any Apple, Google, or Samsung devices - but it does seem to be a persistently-mentioned online rumour.

@kselmak @Bbqbill idk about you guys, but my data counter on my phone is around 1gb+ difference. with the phone reporting the higher usage. I'm actually having to set my renewal date 7 days behind to have an idea of where I'm at mid cycle

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Bbqbill 

Can you tweak the beginning day of the cycle.

The numbers will never match, actually phone usually does show more as it doesn't amount for MMS and data that doesn't count against your allowance.

The difference is not that big.

Did you use your sim in another phone temporarily?

If you didn't and after moving your beginning of cycle date if the numbers are not close to eachother, try contacting moderators to take a closer look.

https://publicmobile.ca.ada.support/chat/ 

Also did you change your plan recently?

Korth
Mayor / Maire

@Bbqbill wrote:

Why am I getting ripped off my data public mobile says I've used 8.5 gigs when my phone says I've only used 6.06gugs of data and my phone is complely accurate

This last statement is sadly mistaken. Phone-side software can measure these things with great precision but with rather lousy accuracy.

Data consumption is billed as measured by the network-side machinery. There's data overheads, error correction, re-sent packets, etc. Substantial discrepancies (like yours) do occur when the network counts lots of transmitted data the device never counts as being received (especially when the device uses data across poor signal and/or with weak battery). When discrepancies do occur, the only measure which matters is the (network-side) one reported on your billing.

Also, as mentioned by others: your PM plan has a certain 30-day cycle which your device counter must correctly sync. Accumulated usage count from blurry portions of multiple cycles is meaningless.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@Bbqbill wrote:

@Bbqbill  Make sure your phone's start date aligns with your plan's renewal date. When I compare it's pretty accurate, see below: 

u2.PNG

u1.png

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Bbqbill wrote:

Does your phone track per month? PM plans are based on 30 days.  So you may have only used 6.06 GB in June but may have used the other 2.44GB in May after your last renewal.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Bbqbill Your phones estimatated data usage can differ from your data usage in your PM selfserve account. To find your actual persice data usage you have to use your selfserve.

What is the make and model of your phone ? 

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@Bbqbill they are usually pretty good when it comes to data usage. Check your phone data counter date. Is it set to a 30 day or monthly cycle. Also check your app  usage on the phone for any huge amounts. If you feel that there was an error, then conTact the moderators and ask them to look into it for you. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check your usage history in your self serve account.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Bbqbill wrote:

Is your phone counting from your last 30 day renewal?

The counter is known to be very accurate. It's not a month term here. Just 30 days.

Need Help? Let's chat.