cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: New activation; Porting from Wind

kapilnayar
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am interested in porting from WIND. If I am reading it correctly, I can get a temporary number from PM and simultaneously request for number portability for minimal disruption.

Where do I provide porting number info - on the PM account portal or some pivate email route?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

stonechucker wrote:

@@@computergeek541, actually, you do get a temporary number while waiting for the port to complete, even when porting at the same time as activation.  It can't happen any other way.

I never got a temporary phone number when I ported in at the time of activation.  in fact, this is why so many people get confused becasue the number ends up being active at the same time at both the old carrier and new carrier.  Public, as well as other Telus companies, do not issue temporary numbers if you port in at the same time as activation.
That's also the same reason that all customers who port in at the same time of activation don't receive any incoming calls or texts until the porting has been completed.
I've also used Koodo before and ported in, and they also do not issue temporary phone numbers when you request a port as part of the activation process.
I've also been with Mobilicity who did not issue the customer a temporary phone number. (before Rogers takeover).  With both Koodo and Mobilciity (as well as my Public account), the ported in phone number was assigned to the new service immediately, even before porting was finished.
The way that Public handles number porting is in contrast to Freedom and Rogers.  Both Freedom and Rogers automaticallly assign a temporary phone number ot the customer if you request porting during activation. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@kapilnayar you replied to a fairly old thread so I just moved this out to it's own topic.  Glad to hear you are thinking of joing Public Mobile!  I definitely agree with @stonechucker that activating with a temporary number first, confirming all your services work with that number, and then porting afterward is the best way to do it. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, actually, you do get a temporary number while waiting for the port to complete, even when porting at the same time as activation.  It can't happen any other way.

Unless things have changed in the past 6 months, Public doesn't issue temporary phone numbers for that purpose when you do at the same time as activation.  I ported in at the time of activation and was never issued a temporary phone number.  It is also this way with all other Telus companies.  I have also done this in the past to port into Koodo, and there as well, was never issued a temporary phone number in that case either.

There are countless customer account around here that can tell you that as well.  It is also the very reason that customers get confused because your phone number actually shows as active on both your old provider and your new provider at the same time.  This is just how Public does it.

If your port in at the same time as activation, your ported phone number gets assigned to yoru Public account and service immediately, without the use of temporary number.   This happens before the phone number transfer from the old carrier is even processed or approved.

The way Public does porting is in contrast to both Rogers and Wind (Freedom).  I am not sure how Bell does it, but I can say for sure that both Rogers and Freedom do in fact, proceed with temporary phone numbers when porting in during activation;  Public and Telus companies do not. 

There are also examples of other carriers who never issued temporary phone numbers either.  The old Mobilicity (before Rogers acquisition/Chat merger) also did not do the temporary phone number thing.  With the old Mobilicity, the ported phone number was immedaitely assigned to the account, even before the porting was complete.

Public not using temporary phone numbers is also the reason that all customers who port in at the time of activation will not receive any incoming calls or text messages for the first little while (because they all still go to the old provider until porting is complete).

@stonechucker wrote:

@computergeek541, actually, you do get a temporary number while waiting for the port to complete, even when porting at the same time as activation.  It can't happen any other way.

Unless things have changed in the past 6 months, Public doesn't issue temporary phone numbers for that purpose when you do at the same time as activation.  I ported in at the time of activation and was never issued a temporary phone number.  It is also this way with all other Telus companies.  I have also done this in the past to port into Koodo, and there as well, was never issued a temporary phone number in that case either.

There are countless customer account around here that can tell you that as well.  It is also the very reason that customers get confused because your phone number actually shows as active on both your old provider and your new provider at the same time.  This is just how Public does it.

If your port in at the same time as activation, yoru ported phone number gets assigned to yoru Public account and service immediately, without the use of temporary number.   This happens before the phone number transfer from the old carrier is even processed or approved.

The way Public does porting is in contrast to both Rogers and Wind (Freedom).  I am not sure how Bell does it, but I can say for sure that both Rogers and Freedom do in fact, proceed with temporary phone numbers when porting in during activation;  Public and Telus companies do not. 

There are also examples of other carriers who never issued temporary phone numbers either.  The old Mobilicity (before Rogers acquisition/Chat merger) also did not do the temporary phone number thing.  With the old Mobilicity, the ported phone number was immedaitely assigned to the account, even before the porting was complete.

I my experience, activating a temporary number is the BEST option, to ensure you get the service up and running with mimimum delay.  Once you've confirmed all services working properly, then you should request a number change in self-serve, which is where you will port the number from WIND.

When I did it last summer, I was up and running in about 20 minutes, start to finish.

@kapilnayar wrote:

I am interested in porting from WIND. If I am reading it correctly, I can get a temporary number from PM and simultaneously request for number portability for minimal disruption.

That cannot be done simultaneously.  If you request the port-in at the time of activation, Public Mobile (nor does any other Telus brand) does not assign temporary phone numbers.  If you go that route, incoming communications will continue to be directed to your Freemdom Mobile phone number until the phone number transfer has been completed.  Both your Public and Freedom Mobile services would be operating both at the same time as the same phone number, but your Public phone would only work for data and outgoing communications.

To get a temporary phone number, you would have to choose a new phone number at the time of activation.  You would then have to completely finish activating your service and account.  You could then request a phone number port in after all that is done.  Note that doing this does not eliminate the possibility of porting problems.  It's just that Public Mobile's computer systems somtime has problems during the activation process when requesting a number port causing it to not allow the customer continue with the process.

Need Help? Let's chat.