cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Long Distance calling from Toronto to Toronto?

tomsychau
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Can someone tell me why calling a 647 number is a long distance is Toronto? I know that person is in Toronto cuz he is right in front of me now.

12 REPLIES 12

Iceman
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I had a similar issue calling a known local number in a different area code last year.  It was such a new exchange, calling rules had not been updated yet. Or when the plan you chose to put on your phone it may not have registered on the network completely.

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

CS_Agent
Customer Support Agent

Hi,
If you have any questions concerning your account, just send a private message through the following link:
https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/The-Public-Mobile-Moderator-Team/ta-p/...

@computergeek541its usually newer exchanges (the second  3 digits) that cause the issue

I know Freedom had a whole block of 647 numbers that never worked right

@computergeek541 wrote:

@tomsychau wrote:

I am in Toronto with a 416 number

I know you were just answering the question, but if things are working properly, it doesn't even matter what area code your phone number has.  You could have a phone number from Whitehorse, Yukon and it would be the same. It would make no difference.

I want to say that these strange things tend to happen with newer area codes but I don't have any stats to back that up.  That wouldn't be the case here though as neither 416 nor 647 area anywhere close to being new.

@tomsychau wrote:

I know you were just answering the question, but if things are working properly, it doesn't even matter what area code your phone number has.  You could have a phone number from Whitehorse, Yukon and it would be the same. It would make no difference.

I want to say that these strange things tend to happen with newer area codes but I don't have any stats to back that up.  That wouldn't be the case here though as neither 416 nor 647 area anywhere close to being new.

As for your question why calling a Toronto phone number while you are in Toronto is long distance, it's not as others have said.  This is an error on Public Mobile's end.

You guys are all so quick to jump to conclusion needs mods help imo

There could be lots of reasons why this is an issue not all technical

*edit I posted as he responded Cat LOL

Ok so does sound like mods now

Fine

@tomsychautrying to offer help trouble shooting as GTA gets messy with exchanges but non issue it appears

tomsychau

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@tomsychau

It is irrelevant where "that person" is standing

To calculate long distance depends on where *you* are standing

Other person has 647 number and is based in Toronto

What is your area code? Where are you located?

@tomsychau wrote:

Can someone tell me why calling a 647 number is a long distance is Toronto? I know that person is in Toronto cuz he is right in front of me now.

Acekiller
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

there have been several members raising up similar issues. It is a glitch on PM's part. Raise the issue to the mods and see what they can do for you and let us know the result!

@tomsychau wrote:

I took out the +1 already....but still the message keeps going I am calling a long distance number...and it disconnects.

Sometimes when an account is set up, provisioning issues can affect the calling feature which seems to be the case here.  I suggest reporting this to the moderator team and they will be about to fix it.  The moderator team can be reached via private message using this link.  Please include in the private message account number and PIN code. Refer to the following knowledge base link for additional information on contacting the moderator team.

tomsychau

I took out the +1 already....but still the message keeps going I am calling a long distance number...and it disconnects.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

Are you using +1 xxx xxx xxxx?

If the call connects after the message you will not incure additional costs. At Public Mobile you are only able to use the services you have already paid for.

Need Help? Let's chat.