cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Publicmobile.ca - One email one Public account?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

just wondering, can i use the SAME email to logon publicmobile.ca to manage 2 different phone lines on Public?

I already created 2 accounts (2 different emails), wonder if anyway to manage on the same account (using 1 email address to logon publicmobile.ca

thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@kselmak wrote:

@dabr 

I believe Gmail always had it but I'm not sure

I discovered it accidentally after i sent an email with the dot between the first and last name but was told later that there shouldn't be, then was informed that she received it anyways

It's important to note this works with Gmail, this is what is explicitly said but really should have underlined

@kselmak   That was nice accidental find 😊   Yeah adding the period dot seems to work for  most it would seem, except me!  OTH the + sign allows me to create gmail aliases so I'm not overly fussed but was just curious as to why it works for most and not others (or maybe it's only me)! 🤔    Oh well... c'est la vie!

@dabr 

I believe Gmail always had it but I'm not sure

I discovered it accidentally after i sent an email with the dot between the first and last name but was told later that there shouldn't be, then was informed that she received it anyways

It's important to note this works with Gmail, this is what is explicitly said but really should have underlined

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@dabr wrote: @kb_mv   Thanks for that information, but unfortunately no that doesn't apply to my email.  Another one of those mysteries I guess. 

@dabr Depending what browser I am using (phone and desktop), when I add a period to the log in to sign into my second PM account, it adds a "space" automatically as if it's end of sentence. This happened to me a few times and resulted in sign in errors until I realized what was happening. Any chance of this happening when you try and send an email to yourself using the "."

Reaching here lol

@kb_mv   So not sure why but my notices seem to be delayed several minutes.  I only got this notice that you had responded.

As to the browser the majority of the times I use Firefox and have never seen a space being added after the period in the email address, but that sounds handy.   I have seen that when messaging on my phone and adding the period at the end of the sentence and a space is automatically added but not applicable here.  Also I always double/triple check if writing new/new versions of any email address.  Also both unsuccessful and successful tests were done on the same browser using the same email for the alias.  Yes it is kinda baffling why it doesn't work for me, but I'm okay as longs the + sign works.  Thanks for trying to troubleshoot this. 😊

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote: @kb_mv   Thanks for that information, but unfortunately no that doesn't apply to my email.  Another one of those mysteries I guess. 

@dabr Depending what browser I am using (phone and desktop), when I add a period to the log in to sign into my second PM account, it adds a "space" automatically as if it's end of sentence. This happened to me a few times and resulted in sign in errors until I realized what was happening. Any chance of this happening when you try and send an email to yourself using the "."

Reaching here lol

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@dabr I amended my reply after you quoted it to include an exception if your work or school is using Gmail:

Note: If you use Gmail through work, school, or other organization (like yourdomain.com or yourschool.edu), dots do change your address. To change the dots in your username, contact your admin.

Does this include you? Otherwise I am baffled as well.

@kb_mv   Thanks for that information, but unfortunately no that doesn't apply to my email.  Another one of those mysteries I guess. 😊

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr I amended my reply after you quoted it to include an exception if your work or school is using Gmail:

Note: If you use Gmail through work, school, or other organization (like yourdomain.com or yourschool.edu), dots do change your address. To change the dots in your username, contact your admin.

Does this include you? Otherwise I am baffled as well.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@kb_mv wrote:

@dabr wrote:

@kselmak  and @kb_mv   Have you both used the period in your email address and received responses addressed to that email?  Just asking because when I experimented with this a while ago I never received any emails where I had added the period, most of the time I just received an error/unsuccessful sending message, but one email did successfully get sent but not to my email and I'm assuming someone else received that email and probably thought they were getting spammed.  However, adding + sign instead to create the alias email address seems to work without any issue. 

So just a heads up to OP in case he runs into any problems trying to create an alias email.

@dabr I routinely use a "." in my email address to differentiate log ins. I receive emails to this day at "both" addresses. None from PM as I have selected no emails. But I routinely receive other messages at "both". Here is a page from Google on it:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?hl=en#:~:text=Adding%20dots%20doesn't%20change,own%20....

Of note is the part that says "you own all dotted versions of your address"

@kb_mv  Yes I know a lot of people seem to have no problem with "." being used for their alias email address.  Not sure why I wasn't able to do it, but I used the same procedure to test first the period and then +.  I was never able to receive anything with the period but like I said earlier, the + works.  Might be just me, don't know but it's really handy to have the use pf those aliases, especially if there's more than one account with PM. 😊

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@softech wrote:

just wondering, can i use the SAME email to logon publicmobile.ca to manage 2 different phone lines on Public?

I already created 2 accounts (2 different emails), wonder if anyway to manage on the same account (using 1 email address to logon publicmobile.ca

thanks

No.  You need separate email address for each account as the PM self-serve portal is using email address as username. 

Other members had said that you can use email aliases to create more than one account to receive email from PM for all your PM accounts.  But you still need to use each alias email address to login to its PM account.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@dabr wrote:

@kselmak  and @kb_mv   Have you both used the period in your email address and received responses addressed to that email?  Just asking because when I experimented with this a while ago I never received any emails where I had added the period, most of the time I just received an error/unsuccessful sending message, but one email did successfully get sent but not to my email and I'm assuming someone else received that email and probably thought they were getting spammed.  However, adding + sign instead to create the alias email address seems to work without any issue. 

So just a heads up to OP in case he runs into any problems trying to create an alias email.

@dabr I routinely use a "." in my email address to differentiate log ins. I receive emails to this day at "both" addresses. None from PM as I have selected no emails. But I routinely receive other messages at "both". Here is a page from Google on it:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/7436150?hl=en#:~:text=Adding%20dots%20doesn't%20change,own%20....

Of note is the part that says "you own all dotted versions of your address"

And this part where it does make a difference lol:

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@softech wrote:

thanks

@softech  You can use an email alias. The easiest way to to do it is add or remove a period in your email address.

myname@somemail.com

my.name@somemail.com

Both addresses will get the email at the same account but satisfy the requirement for a "different" email for log n purposes.

Alternatively, as already stated, some email providers like Google Gmail allow you to add a + in front of the @ sign in your address followed by whatever you like.

myname@gmail.com
myname+hername@gmail.com

Both emails will receive messages at the same account but again meet the requirements for a different email for log in.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

I use Gmail aliases for all of them

name@gmail name+mom@gmail name+kid1@gmail name+kid2@gmail and also na.me@Gmail

They so end up in my name@Gmail inbox (i filter them though)

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

No sorry. Each sim needs a different email. You can use email aliases though.

Need Help? Let's chat.