cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting one number from multi-line account

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Want to port a number from a Fido account that has two active numbers on it.  The account name is different from the names associated with either of the numbers. Each number has a different name associated with it. So 1 Fido account, three names, two phone numbers. Which name do I use in my porting request "Name on Old Service Provider account:"

15 REPLIES 15

jimbobs

@darlicious wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

My better half is on a contract with Fido untile next March when she will move to PM.  She was the main contact and got a couple of calls from them as well but recommended they call me.  She also gets occasional call about great offers and new plans but none of them are matched to her usage and all of them would cost her more than she is paying now.

@jimbobs  Your wife probably better self control with her data then my boyfriend but with six months left in his contract it was still cheaper to buy it out and switch to pm then stay with fido. After buyout were still saving $150 over six months with twice as much data and no bill shock!

And that's not counting top ups and overages....

Funny you say that but she was just telling me that she never comes close to using her data allowance in a month.  This was during another recent power outage (in High Park area of Toronto) when our Internet went down after UPS died (2 hours into outage).

@jimbobs wrote:

My better half is on a contract with Fido untile next March when she will move to PM.  She was the main contact and got a couple of calls from them as well but recommended they call me.  She also gets occasional call about great offers and new plans but none of them are matched to her usage and all of them would cost her more than she is paying now.

@jimbobs  Your wife probably better self control with her data then my boyfriend but with six months left in his contract it was still cheaper to buy it out and switch to pm then stay with fido. After buyout were still saving $150 over six months with twice as much data and no bill shock!

And that's not counting top ups and overages....

@jimbobs wrote:

Fido - absolutely no loyalty after years of service. In the early days, they had Fido Dollars which were actually useful but they're long gone.

They have retention department but they might only give something if you are about to cancel.

jimbobs

Fido - absolutely no loyalty after years of service. In the early days, they had Fido Dollars which were actually useful but they're long gone.

Woohoo the evil overlord fido is losing its icy grip.  Escape run away! You're free! There is safety in the community.....

jimbobs

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs wrote:

Tks. All is well that ends well!

Just to wrap up this story, within hours of porting out from Fido, they start calling me to talk about their "amazing offers". Needless to say, there is nothing amazing about them at all.

@jimbobs interesting, to the best of my knowledge, my mother (the line user) hasn't heard anything from Fido since porting.  On Friday I received the Koodo home phone adapter I ordered and ported out her Fido home phone to Koodo as well.  Now all I have left at Fido is my tablet plan, which I will also likely cancel in the very near future.  EDIT: once I do that, the account will close as it's the last service remaining on it; maybe I will hear from them after that.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

jimbobs

Tks. All is well that ends well!

Just to wrap up this story, within hours of porting out from Fido, they start calling me to talk about their "amazing offers". Needless to say, there is nothing amazing about them at all.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jimbobs wrote:

So I had gone ahead with @stonechucker suggestion before getting @Mary_M response.  An hour later, I received text saying port was successful.

To recap, I used the Account Holder name rather than the name associated with the number to be ported.

@jimbobs sorry I wish I had seen this thread earlier, I could have given you the definitive answer since I personally did this exact scenario a week and a half ago.  I have an account in my name [EDIT: at Fido] that had a mobile phone plan for my mom (with her name on that line) that I needed to port to PM.  I went with my own name (as the account holder) and it was correct since my port completed about a half hour later.  I'm glad you went with @stonechucker 's suggestion, as it was the correct one.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Thanks for the follow up on this @jimbobs.  I was pretty sure I told you correctly, but @Mary_M is always right, as she is a moderator here.

Happy to read it worked out.  Welcome to Public Mobile.

jimbobs

So I had gone ahead with @stonechucker suggestion before getting @Mary_M response.  An hour later, I received text saying port was successful.

To recap, I used the Account Holder name rather than the name associated with the number to be ported.

@jimbobs wrote:

Seems like two contradictory responses so far:

@stonechucker said use the account name

@Mary_M said use the name associated with the number.

Go with Mary_M's answer.  Mary is a staff member, I am not.

jimbobs

Seems like two contradictory responses so far:

@stonechucker said use the account name

@Mary_M said use the name associated with the number.

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

hey @jimbobs,

please use the account number + name associated to the number you want to port as mentioned by @stonechucker and everything should go through smoothly! 🙂

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs, use the name of the account payer (holder).

Use the phone number of the line you wish to port.

Make sure you turn on the "I am authorized" tick box first.

Need Help? Let's chat.